• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 01:08 AM

Sorry I know there are a few post already, but I'm certain the dance is on. We have come from position 53 to 11 right now. And my links:recruittrack.com show up on www2 and www3 but not www as of yet.

#2 Webby

Webby

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:39 AM

Yes the dance has officially started. The best of luck everyone!

.oO(I can sleep tonight now :) )

#3 richmc

richmc

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 06:55 AM

i'm seeing google web directory description/category for one of my sites on www2.

however it seems as if not all the cats have been updated so far as some of the sites i got listed on DMOZ havn't appeared yet.

anyone got any idea how long it takes for Google to update the directory?

-----

i've just realised what is happening - the SERP's show description/category entries for an updated google web directory using the latest DMOZ dump.

however the dump has not as yet been used for the Google directory itself. if you click on a category link in a SERP for a site that has just been picked up for directory inclusion the directory cat does not yet contain its entry.

hope that made sense! :)

-----

#4 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:01 AM

The dance and update can take up to a few days, possibly up to four or five at the longest, to settle completely.

#5 richmc

richmc

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:04 AM

hey cheers bill, guess i musta been editing my post just as you were replying :)

#6 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:12 AM

Cheers Rich,

I guess I did sneak that reply in on you :)

The results will seem in flux (not the everflux we've been referring to here with the fresh bot) for a few days. Hope that everyone here does well. (The results Dennis was seeing sound good.)

#7 richmc

richmc

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:25 AM

something else i just thought of (thanks to coffee i reckon :) )....

while using www2 and www3 to check out what the new index might look like is common knowledge in SEO, allowing us to see changes filtering into SERPs during the update, you can't use this method to check the new incoming directory as it uses a subdomain.

however, the SERPs reporting the newly-directoried(!?) sites on www2 would seem to me to indicate that google does have a copy of the new directory running on some computer somewhere!

wonder how you get to it?

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:22 AM

Verfification from GoogleBlog...

URL: http://google.blogsp...archives/000855
Date: 2003-03-07T07:13-06:00

This month's Google Dance has begun; you can track its march across the data 
centers in the righthand sidebar of dance.efactory.de[1].

[1] http://dance.efactory.de/

Kim

#9 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 01:19 PM

:) Woohoo we have a PR again. Must have been that stupid slammer virus that kept us from having a PR this past month.

It's only showing a fraction of our inbound links, but we're currently sitting at #11 for one of our primary keywords, #7 for our secondary keyword, and #2 for another one. I hope it stays :)

#10 aspwiz

aspwiz

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:09 AM

Another datacenter (http://www-dc.google.com) also has the new index so that makes the dance 2/6 complete.

I guess http://dance.efactory.de/ has not been updated yet!

#11 aspwiz

aspwiz

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 01:52 AM

half way there everyone!! www-ab.google.com has just got the new index!!!

#12 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 05:07 AM

I'm so jazzed, we've moved up to #6 for our keyword in the last 24 hours on the new indexes. I hope it stays there ;) I was so distraught when we were sitting at #53 last month. Guess I must have done something right :)

#13 aspwiz

aspwiz

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 05:21 AM

congrats dgcccomllc!!

#14 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6295 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 07:14 AM

That's a nice jump dgc. And even if it doesn't settle out at #6, you can be pretty sure that it'll settle out on the front page (or very top of page 2) so that's a very nice move. Congrats on that. ;)

It's still early to see exactly what's going on with this update, but there's a lot there. We'll check it all out in another day or two.

G.

#15 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 05:58 PM

what's funny is that most of my inbound links haven't shown this month. Maybe next month. They had been there before we were greyed out this past month. I'm just surprised that even with a PR5, we are so high with such a high cost keyword (running about $6 a click).

#16 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6295 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:44 PM

I'm just surprised that even with a PR5, we are so high with such a high cost keyword

I assume you mean that if a keyword is expensive, then the term itself should be more competitive.

Remember, PR is only a part of the ranking. I have PR3 pages that rank #1-3 with PR7 pages down below it. Title, page content, keyword spread/density, and (though many disagree) LR (Local Rank) are just a few to name. There are 100 or so factors involved in ranking.

G.

#17 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 11:58 PM

well I spent quite a bit of time looking at the top ranked pages for our term, and they had PR6/PR7 but couldn't figure out their reason for high ranked based upon content.

My next goal is to optimize another page within the site. I'm trying to figure out how some sites end up with two rankings per site.

Obviously, I'm much happier this month than last when our PR went grey and we dropped to 53. I still can't figure out why our PR went grey.

#18 aspwiz

aspwiz

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 01:46 AM

What I find strange is that you have a PR5 and there are not any links you anywhere that I can find in the new index (or the old index) although a query tool does tell me you have 24 links via google.

I have no idea why google is not showing them in their index.... do you use other domain names?

#19 dgcccomllc

dgcccomllc

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 02:04 AM

well at one time we had over 30 inbound links (prior to last months index). Then something happened last month that caused us to not be indexed. It was suggested that the slammer virus may have had our site down when google came around. Up to this point, the site had been moving up the ladder and then was jammed down to 53.

I'm currently showing an inbound of 24 links via google. It should be more on the order of 40. It's funny because up until the last update, we showed some other links. These links happen to be some new ones added prior to the last update.

I'm not complaining about where we sit for our primary and secondary keywords, but I'm baffled as to what happened last month. It's kind of funny, my site was down for about 2 hours just before the dance started. I was on the phone screaming at my host to get it back up, and sure enough it came up, and google hit it about 45 mins later.

One thing I did this past month was resubmit my site to google. I hope this isn't a move up as a new site and then get bumped next month.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users