Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Is the JavaScript redirect still necessary?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 suka

suka

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:20 AM

Anyone have information on the % of users who still browse the web w.out javascipt? Trying to decide if I need to implement a redirect for visitors who do not have it enabled.

My site will not work without JS. I don't want to confuse or alienate these folks -- but it anecdotally, it seems most of the people browsing w.out JS these days are technically advanced and do this on purpose.

Anyone know of any good stats or best practices to follow for 2004?

Thanks in advance.

Suka

#2 DaveChild

DaveChild

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:30 AM

It's anything from 80-90% of people that surf without JavaScript, or with it turned off. So yes, entirely necessary to cater to those without it. As you say, generally speaking the people that do disable JavaScript are usually more technically knowledgable, and thus the people you want to visit your site and like it - because they are the ones who will link to it, list it in directories, etc.

Best practices are tricky. Personally, I use JavaScript, but only to add value for those who use JavaScript. It can save steps in processes, and improve usability.I make a point, however, of ensuring any site I create will wortk without JavaScript and those without JavaScript support will not have any idea they are missing anything.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13469 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

Suka,

In my usabilty testing, this is one of my test criteria. I test to see how pages will render with JS turned off. It's an easy way to tell if the site made any secondary paths for accessibility, disabled users (even swollen joints cause problems using some menus), and anyone who has reason to have it turned off.

Another reason is that if they have a requirement that says "We want search engine robots to be able to crawl our pages", having JS for main navigation may mean that requirement is not met in some cases.

Good question by the way :P

#4 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

Anyone have information on the % of users who still browse the web w.out javascipt? Trying to decide if I need to implement a redirect for visitors who do not have it enabled.

Hi Suka. I may have a shock for you. The question isn't about the number of users still browsing without JavaScript, but rather about the absolute fact that the number of users choosing to browse without JavaScript is growing, not declining.

For many folks, JavaScript is simply that annoying stuff that makes popups happen, and allows people to muck about with their browser settings. Turning it off is something they may be happy to do just to stop worrying about popups.

Then there's the growth in access through devices that are not PCs, and may not even be capable of running JavaScript, including mobile phones, palmtop devices, webTV, etc...

#5 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

Though I don't use must JavaScript at all, I'm surprised at the numbers. Dave, where did you find those statistics?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users