• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:49 PM

With such a search, if you typed in 'cheap flights' and you had a surfing history in your browser of visiting sites related to Spain and had perhaps installed language software to help you learn Spanish, then results that contained flights to Spain would rank higher - at least that's our theory. 

Certainly a source at Microsoft told us that yes, we were on the right lines - the most concrete comment we've had regarding Microsoft

Microsoft looks at Windows dominance to give its search engine an edge

Ruud

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:22 AM

A few thoughts spring to me after reading the article:

1. A search engine that relies upon the operating system would deliver a very different experience to someone using a Mac, or Linspire, or another flavor of Linux.

2. I really don't want a search engine to use my personal meta data. I conduct a lot of searches that are unrelated to previous searches, and I don't necessarily want a search engine to make assumptions as to what I want to see when I search for something.

#3 ac

ac

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:41 AM

I am beginning to think that stand alone search databases will do well in the future as folks like Bill want an unbiased search.

Bill has been searching databases longer than most have been around including the search engines themselves, so I would respect his opinion completely

#4 Paul_H

Paul_H

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:53 AM

I really don't want a search engine to use my personal meta data. I conduct a lot of searches that are unrelated to previous searches, and I don't necessarily want a search engine to make assumptions as to what I want to see when I search for something.

Same here, very few of my searches are related, anything good gets bookmarked (too many bookmarks going back years, ability to search through those would be nice ;) )

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users