35 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:00 PM

http://www.threadwatch.org/

This project wasnt due to launch quite yet, but the cat's out of the bag so to speak, no stopping those damn bloggers....

Danny Sulivan, Rusty Brick and SEOBook all blogged about it today:
http://www.seroundta...ves/000978.html
http://blog.searchen...blog/041005-217
http://www.seobook.c...es/000541.shtml

so it's time to Beta Test

IMPORTANT - Some of this is cut and paste, im not trying to kid anyone ;-) The reason for posting here is that you guys give without a doubt the harshest yet most constructive criticism regarding look and feel - usability etc....

Im working on the code, really. I know it's not fantastic. Im using the new drupal-4.5-rc1 (thats release candidate one, it rocks..) but unfortunately, getting the code the way i want it will take quite some time and as i mentioned above, the news broke a little early :)

On with the Show

The concept is very simple: There are lots of forums, and lots of blogs centered around SEO/SEM - Threadwatch.org's aim is to provide a "best of the best" daily list of forum and blog topics.

Not so serious as seroundtable.com - more tabloidesque if you will. With a little humour and good natured fun poking thrown in for good measure :-)

It's all about signal to noise.

Feedback on the following would be greatly appreciated:
[list]

[*]Concept

[*]System

[*]Content
[list]

Please dont feel you have to be kind.

Cheers...

Nick

#2 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:49 PM

Your promotional plan is certainly off to a good start with some well-known people endorsing your site.

The reason for posting here is that you guys give without a doubt the harshest yet most constructive criticism regarding look and feel - usability etc....

In my experience, the flattering comments will help you very little. The harsh ones deal with issues that will make the biggest impact. :)

I have a few constructive comments for you Nick, nothing major.

Tagline. Have you thought about coming up with a well-crafted tagline for your site? It will help with branding and help immediately orient new visitors to your site. While I suspect many of your visitors will be forum veterans, I wouldn't ignore those who aren't.

Graphical elements. I found the site a bit plain looking. Perhaps enlisting the help or hiring a professional graphical designer might help with establishing your identity and giving your site some distinctiveness.

Link Designation. Try to be consistent how you designate links. Some are underlined, while others aren't. <side note>Probably some controversy and disagreement on this point, but I'm not a big fan of homepage that link to themselves. In my view, it's a usability/friendliness issue.

Posted Image

Font Size Consistency. I would try to be more consistent with the size fonts used for your headers.

Posted Image

Capitalization Consistency. I'd also recommend capitalizing your navigational elements, for consistency.

Posted Image

About Me. I would suggest trying to expand the About page a bit more, describing your background, experience and qualifications. I think it would help to give your site additional credibility for those who don't know you. I think it always helps to know something about the man.

Minor typos I noticed.
http://www.threadwatch.org/submit [thankyou]

Member List. Measuring membership longevity in days and hours (I even say one in seconds) was a bit too much detail for me (doesn't really add much value). I'd recommend rounding to the nearest day. After a while, your current display of members is going to be come unmanagably long. You should start to think about pagination and different sorting options (joined date, location, username, etc.), perhaps in a drop down menu.

Hope this helps, Nick.

Good luck.

#3 Paul_H

Paul_H

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:54 PM

Great concept! Can see this being really popular.

Looks different in IE to Firefox.
In IE the purple topic band is overlapping some of the paragraphs. Example in IE “ahhh .. nice to finally post...” is in the purple topic band, where as in firefox its not.

#4 McFox

McFox

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:18 PM

I like the concept.

I find the site a bit harsh on my eyes and 'jagged'. What I mean by this is that I tend to need blocks to help me locate all the info related to each topic.

You have the threadwatch node title in blue against the plain white page. Underneath is the #d7daf0 color block with a title and links and underneath that some commentary which leads straight to another, unrelated, threadwatch node title.

My eyes jump all over the place without the expected boundaries of color or lines.

McF

#5 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

Guys, thanks soooo much, i will address almost all of the above ine the morning and answer specific points raised here (im soo tired, this site was NOT ready for launch and it's way past my bedtime :))

Thanks again, back tommorow..

Nick

#6 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:11 PM

Hi Nick,

The concept is an excellent one. I suspect that you'll see a lot of participation.

Functionally, it seems to work pretty well, too.

There are some good suggestions above.

Registration was simple and easy. I received an email promptly, and the login brought me to the personal details I entered, with a chance to make edits to those details. Changing my password and setting my time was easy.

I like the look of the recent posts page, and that I have one. I'll need to make a post to see how much I like it though.

I suspect that you're planning on moving the copyright notice to the bottoms of pages as you tweak the site.

I'm not sure that the notice about looking at the submission guidelines should be in that copyright line though. I do expect to see that link at the top of the submission form, and at the top of the comments submission form though.

The short version of the formatting guidelines (and the link to more options) could be above the thread description text box. I think that people might make submissions without scrolling down low enough for that information to be useful. The same probably with the comment submission. Then again, since the post button is under those, I suspect people will see them.

The description box seems fairly large - ten lines worth. Ten lines will probably be a good amount of space for the front page of the site. I'm guessing that once I fill in all of that information, I go to another page where I can write more. It's not clear though, to the first time user. I suspect that people probably need to be told that with an instruction.

Is it possible to have the description box, and the "more" on that first submission page? If you want to encourage shorter posts, I'd probably leave it as it is (with that instruction I suggested. )

I see a number of typos on the guidelines page - some misspellings, a couple of missing apostrophes and commas. It's probably easiest to cut and paste those into a program like Word and run the spell check program. I like your word choice, phrasing, and instructions there.

I think you need just a little more whitespace between the introductory paragraph and the start of the thread to get some separation between the two. A little more space between each of the entries, too.

I like the look of the individual pages with comments.

I don't know if you need to display the "submit thread" link in the top navigation when people aren't logged in, but I like the phrasing you use on the "opps!" page so much that I actually think it's useful to have that there - most people who will click on that without being logged in will be first time visitors, and the instructions on that page will give them an idea of how the site is run.

The sites I was reminded of as I was looking through threadwatch were Slashdot and Metafilter. I'm not sure if you want to look over those to get some additional ideas, but they might have some for you. One of the things I really like about metafilter are the sidebar comments from the site owner when he posts some news about the site, or picks out a thread for special mention.

Again, great idea. :)

#7 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:55 AM

Ack! i give up!

Im going to get the site setup (with current data) locally again and redo the entire html/css from scratch.

One of the worst things about most cms's is the sloppy unreadable, non understandable code! Sheesh, this things a mess, it'll take me less time to do it all from scratch than it will trying to patch sombody elses sloppiness ;-)

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the feedback, i'll come back after the weekend with a re-vamped version and see if it makes the grade :)

Nick

#8 McFox

McFox

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 01:09 AM

The boxes are great. They make reading so much easier. :)

Although the 'recent posts' listing is useful, I can't help but wonder what will happen a few weeks or months down the road when there are pages and pages and pages.

Just now you have the requirement to name the relevent forum but I wonder if you should also require two-step categorization of subject also? This would allow you to expand from simple 'Archives' or 'Recent' to 'By Subject' and 'By Topic' as well as 'By Forum' should anyone wish to dig a little deeper.

McF

#9 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:52 AM

McFox, your a mind reader! Right from the get-go i've been toying with categorization or taxonomy.

I was thinking of adding 3 main sections (that can all have posts under but keep the original 'forum' cat also)

* Teqniques and Tools
* Insustry News
* Forum Mayhem

I'll have get pencil and paper and do a dry run before I finalize it to make sure it works but it would allow users to filter out the gossip/silly threads from the important ones for example...

Nick

#10 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:52 PM

One of the worst things about most cms's is the sloppy unreadable, non understandable code!

Worse: the mixing of code and HTML, making template design virtually impossible and upgrading a joy equal to having a root canal treatment...

I understand you're re-doing the site, right? So I won't comment on it for now but for this remark: damned handy!

#11 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13648 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 04:41 PM

Giving you an example of how one user uses it, I subscribed to the RSS feed and check in that way.

Next I scan for certain words, such as Cre8asiteForums, for obvious reasons. :wink: It's hard to scan for those words as displayed now. Everything sorta blends in together.

I encourage the categorization suggestion because that targets different visitor needs.

Future enhancement idea is to find a way to offer notice of when a thread is found in a certain topic area, and find a way to send an alert to someone who has subscribed to be sent a notice. Sorta like the "My Notifications" thing we have here.

Good concept, especially in today's scan and zoom off to the next thing world ;)

#12 Scratch

Scratch

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:49 AM

A few initial thoughts Z:

1) To standardise... "Create new account" > "Register"

2) Make the left column coloured / grey, to distinguish from main body.

3) The main home content of each page should sit straight on the page canvas. Currently, everything's in a box, which makes every page seem fragmented. This is okay in a forum thread, where every boxed element is distinct, but your page should own up to what *it's* saying. Stuff in boxes looks like callouts, visiting content from elsewhere, maybe ads...

4) Never, ever, put "Navigation" on your navigation. If you feel the need to do that, think instead why your navigation isn't obviously navigation. See 2) above for one way to improve.

5) Similarly "More Detailed Information" in Guidelines made me smile. If you put the most relevant/summary content up the top, and use clear headers to describe more detailed stuff (using the Inverted Pyramid technique, http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/writin...or_the_web.cfm), your pages will be clear and easy to scan without having to be explained.

7) I don't care for the fuzzy logo. It comes across as under-confident and unclear. Also, the background image makes me think of lying on the floor staring at the design on the carpet feeling extremely drunk, trying not to be sick and wishing I was dead.[/url]

#13 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:51 AM

Worse: the mixing of code and HTML, making template design virtually impossible and upgrading a joy equal to having a root canal treatment...

Oh Ruud! You just nailed it mate! - Im a decent programmer, but when I build a site from scratch I dont even build a 10 pager without Smarty! - I am working on it but now that i've been forced to launch way ahead of schedule i feel rather like M$ - gotta keep patching! lol....

>>Next I scan for certain words, such as Cre8asiteForums

I usually link to you with cr8, sorry, it's just faster :lol:

>>I encourage the categorization suggestion because that targets different visitor needs.

Im on the case!

Future enhancement idea is to find a way to offer notice of when a thread is found in a certain topic area, and find a way to send an alert to someone who has subscribed to be sent a notice. Sorta like the "My Notifications" thing we have here. 

Yep, you dont think I didnt think of that too now did you? hehe :lol: :D
Im waiting for the 4.4 modules (drupal.org) to start migrating to the new 4.5 - as soon as these mods are available I'll certainly be adding them..

Thanks so much guys, sorry to say it may take some time to implement all the good ideas here, but many, many of them *will* happen...

Cheers

Nick

#14 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:18 AM

I usually link to you with cr8, sorry, it's just faster

But we don't get the full benefit of the anchor text, Nick. Don't be so lazy. :wink:

#15 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:11 AM

Phew... busy busy busy!

Well, Threadwatch.org has gone though some major changes - largely due to the feedback in this thread. Thankyou.

Please check it out and lets see if I cant make some more improvements eh?

Let me respond to some of the points made earlier first though:

[quote]
Tagline. Have you thought about coming up with a well-crafted tagline for your site? It will help with branding and help immediately orient new visitors to your site. While I suspect many of your visitors will be forum veterans, I wouldn't ignore those who aren't. [/quote]

Done! - NFFC's 5yr old daughter created the logo fo me and it contains the tagline. Also, when there is no important site news (like today) thre is a 'sticky' post at the top of the homepage giving a paragraph about what Threadwatch is all about.

[quote]Graphical elements. I found the site a bit plain looking. Perhaps enlisting the help or hiring a professional graphical designer might help with establishing your identity and giving your site some distinctiveness. [/quote]

By design. Three is a half way decent logo now, but the entire point of threadwatch is the content, and speed - I want nothing to distract or slow the eye ;-)

[quote]Link Designation. Try to be consistent how you designate links. Some are underlined, while others aren't. <side note>Probably some controversy and disagreement on this point, but I'm not a big fan of homepage that link to themselves. In my view, it's a usability/friendliness issue.[/quote]'

Done! - 'twas a css thing. some joker had it all over the shop in the template, it's all fixed now as far as im aware. Underlined in body, no underline in left nav. Reasonably consistent i feel.

>>Font Size Consistency.

I think that's covered now...?

[quote]About Me. I would suggest trying to expand the About page a bit more, describing your background, experience and qualifications. I think it would help to give your site additional credibility for those who don't know you. I think it always helps to know something about the man. [/quote]

Agreed, still to come. I even took a cool picture of me with bottle bottom thick NHS glasses on, straggly beard and a dressing gown especially for this page....

[quote]Member List. Measuring membership longevity in days and hours (I even say one in seconds) was a bit too much detail for me (doesn't really add much value). I'd recommend rounding to the nearest day. After a while, your current display of members is going to be come unmanagably long. You should start to think about pagination and different sorting options (joined date, location, username, etc.), perhaps in a drop down menu. [/quote]

Cant be helped im afraid :( the drupal sys has been so hacked that it's already a nightmare to upgrade, this is a small thing so i dont want to hack it anymore..

[quote]In IE the purple topic band is overlapping some of the paragraphs. Example in IE “ahhh .. nice to finally post...” is in the purple topic band, where as in firefox its not.[/quote]

Fixed I beleive, anyone check it for me? I have IE on linux but im not always certain it's perfect...

[quote]I find the site a bit harsh on my eyes and 'jagged'. What I mean by this is that I tend to need blocks to help me locate all the info related to each topic.[/quote]

Done! and iv'e had no end of thanks for it too heh... thanks McFox!

[quote]I suspect that you're planning on moving the copyright notice to the bottoms of pages as you tweak the site[/quote]

Done!

[quote]I'm not sure that the notice about looking at the submission guidelines should be in that copyright line though. I do expect to see that link at the top of the submission form, and at the top of the comments submission form though.[/quote]

Done!

[quote]I'm not sure that the notice about looking at the submission guidelines should be in that copyright line though. I do expect to see that link at the top of the submission form, and at the top of the comments submission form though.[/quote]

Cant seem to change that unfortunately :(

>>The description box seems fairly large - ten lines worth.

What would you suggest?

[quote]I encourage the categorization suggestion because that targets different visitor needs.

Future enhancement idea is to find a way to offer notice of when a thread is found in a certain topic area, and find a way to send an alert to someone who has subscribed to be sent a notice. Sorta like the "My Notifications" thing we have here.[/quote]

All done! - email alerts are now available to logged in members and categories have been defined. Thankyou...

[quote] The main home content of each page should sit straight on the page canvas. Currently, everything's in a box, which makes every page seem fragmented. This is okay in a forum thread, where every boxed element is distinct, but your page should own up to what *it's* saying. Stuff in boxes looks like callouts, visiting content from elsewhere, maybe ads...[/quote]

I dont think I agree, but possibly i misunderstand your point?

[quote]Never, ever, put "Navigation" on your navigation. If you feel the need to do that, think instead why your navigation isn't obviously navigation. See 2) above for one way to improve.[/quote]

Again, just another minor detail that really isnt worth hacking yet another module for :( logged in members do not see 'navigain'

[quote] I don't care for the fuzzy logo. It comes across as under-confident and unclear. Also, the background image makes me think of lying on the floor staring at the design on the carpet feeling extremely drunk, trying not to be sick and wishing I was dead[/quote]

wow, that happen often Scratch? heh...

Done!

Conclusion
There is still some way to go, i would like to thank all who have participated so far in this thread for their time, it's VERY much appreciated :)

Please feel free to pull the improvements apart, i'ød like to get this as good as it can possibly be!

Nick

#16 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:04 AM

You've done quite a lot with it Nick.

With the levels of participation you're getting, it looks like you have a hit on your hands.

I'll spend some more time looking at it, but I just want to say that I like the additions very much. Nice going.

Like that header a lot, too.

#17 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:35 AM

Yes, well done, Nick. It's looking very good.

One small point that hit me is the following. For the 'In Crowd', I'm sure they'll be able to identify every item in terms of which Forum the post came up on. However for those who are less familiar with Forums, it might be nice to have a Glossary of all the Forums covered and give a short acronym for each, e.g. C8, HR, BP, SEW, WMW, etc. Then every post in ThreadWatch.org could have an identifier at the front to identify which Forum is being discussed. It could look as follows:
C8> Site Review of ThreadWatch.org shows website is being very well received. :(

The Glossary could even have a Description (not more than 300 characters and spaces) of each Forum, as you see it.

#18 NFFC_

NFFC_

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 02:54 PM

>NFFC's 5yr old daughter created the logo

She has a strop on now, she is 7!

Keep up the good work Nick.

#19 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:08 PM

bwelford,

I considered that, there is ineed a glossary fliter for the system but I rejected it for 2 reasons:

* People have pre-conceived ideas of what forums are good and which are not. The point of TW is to indicate which *threads* are worthy of a professional SEO's time. Iv'e had more than a few people say "hey, i never would have found that, i dont usually go there becuase all they talk about is XYZ..." - I dont want people to miss out, I do want them to trust from the title/desc on TW that it's a *good* thread :)

* It's a strain on the system to put everything through another filter each time a page is called..

I do see your point. I dont agree however :)

Tell her im sorry NFFC :(
Uncle Nick W will buy her something cool when he eventually makes it back to blighty!

and im glad you 3 seem to like the changes, i sure sweated over them lol!

thankyou again, i dislike most site review threads personally but I *know* you guys give a damn good one, and without it i'd have missed many points that have now been worked into the system and design. Cheers!

Nick

#20 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:25 PM

Hi Nick

I wasn't thinking about anything complicated like filters. I hadn't seen all the bells and whistles in a quick "fly-in", perhaps like most visitors. :)

The point I was making would be met very well if every thread title had the acronym for the Forum preceding the title of the thread. For instance at this moment the last thread looks like this:
googles signals and Load balancing
I can see the forum if I hold my mouse near there and see the Title in the tooltip. However it would be so much easier if you or whoever started this thread had made the title:
SEW>googles signals and Load balancing

Not a big point but might help many visitors to situate themselves better.
Just my 2 cents. :)

#21 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:09 PM

Just wanted to add that I totally agree with Barry - I would like seeing the forum name before or near each thread name as well. :)

#22 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:10 PM

OK, then help me to understand why it' important. Im not above changing tack if people want somthign :)

why would you guys want that?

Nick

#23 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:34 AM

I think it's helpful being able to see at a glance which forum the thread is from. For example, I might want to instantly see what the latest Cre8 thread is - I'd be able to see a C8 next to the thread title.

Hope that explains it a bit better.. :)

#24 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:03 AM

Hmm.. im just not convinced that wouldnt put a bias on people deiciding / pre judging the merit of a thread tim...

#25 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:55 AM

Nick, I have a few comments. You might not agree (and I don't have a "thing" about people agreeing with me), but please bear with me.

The general design is easy to figure out, more or less. Header there, menu there, posts there. But the overall "look" is a little less elegant than it could be. Now, you might not feel that "elegant" is where you want to go; I, on the other hand, feel that it adds both to the look and the credibility of a site.

A lot of this has to do with alignment of elements on the page. For instance, the header area: I'd make the Recent Posts/Submit Thread links line up vertically with the "threadwatch" in the logo, which would make the logo the most senior element on the page.

Secondly, the menu area: I'm thinking that the use of bold in all menu links makes it look more coarse than it needs to look. Given that you've already got bolded titles, I'd think that these can be taken down a bit. (However, since your text is larger than I usually see, I'm thinking that perhaps it's a matter of having designed for IE?)

Next, in the menu area, you've got input boxes, list bullets, some kind of dots ... but the sections don't line up well for me (Opera 7.x) and thus give a disjointed feel. I'm thinking that if you gave this area the same size margin as on the right side of the page, and vertical-aligned the menu more closely, the design would hang together better.

FYI, I use Microfox's Screen Ruler (which can be switched horizontally and vertically, and can measure by pixel, inch, etc.) to ensure that page elements align; very handy.

Lastly, you have only one usage of the red (in the logo) (well, two), so one tiny dot or dash of the red here and there could warm up the pages and could serve as a visual element for pointing out important items on the page.

At any rate, this is a FWIW. :-)

#26 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:08 AM

Hmm.. I'm just not convinced that wouldn't put a bias on people deciding / pre judging the merit of a thread, Tim...

As the old Yorkshireman said, "The whole world's biased except thee and me, and sometimes I worry about thee."

Nick, it's your site so you'll decide what works for you. I always look at things from a customer-centric point of view so I try to figure out what my customers want to receive. If you're product-driven, you make the best product you can and customers should be darned happy.

BTW my comments about tooltips was because I'm using Opera as my browser so I see the URL in a tooltip. So if bias is a problem, then Opera users will sneak round this one. Since you didn't put a Title on your links, nothing shows in Internet Explorer. That got me thinking about a whole host of issues with tooltips and I will be starting another thread on that shortly.

Anyway, I think the concept of your website is phenomenal. Peace. :)

#27 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:34 PM

So if bias is a problem, then Opera users will sneak round this one. Since you didn't put a Title on your links, nothing shows in Internet Explorer.

And I can see where they link to by looking at the status bar in Firefox. :) It's just that it would be easier to see if it was labelled there. I think I see your point though, Nick.

#28 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

DianeV, thanks!

Im going to come back to your post in a few days when i've dealt with some of those issues, but for now, thankyou! - and dont worry about agreeing or not agreeing, im a big boy and wouldnt ask for critism if i couldnt handle it :)

Ok guys,

I was looking at this closely today and it just cannot happen. Even if I relented (and i see no reason not to if any more than the 2 of you asked for it :)) it would be to impracticle. I'm not sure if you've noticed but i also link to blogs, and somtimes (though not often) articles of interest to seo's. - this would either make it very, very messy, or it would make it very inconsistent.
'
Also, i am pushing (and to an extent getting) member submitted threads. THis was never intended to be a solo effort and your suggestion may make that just a littlle cumbersome for members...

However! - I think giving the the thread links a title would be a nice compromise no? - that way, you could tell where the link will take you, but it's not clearly marked thus appeasing my stance on bias :)

what do you think?

One more thing I'd like to ask

I want to add just a little more value to the site. I was thinking of an articles section that would not intefere with the current 'active list' - like articles.threadwatch.org

I write reasonably well when I put my mind to it and have a lot to say when i have the time, so, do you think that'd add value? - and would you like to suggest anything else that would add additional value?

thanks again everyone!

#29 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:59 PM

Articles -- yes, absolutely.

#30 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:03 PM

and if i was to open that up to guest writers im presented with yet another challenge.

guest writers want a bio, with a link to their site. A fair exchange I feel but I would worry about diluting the rather tight focus the site has so far....?

#31 NFFC_

NFFC_

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 12:40 PM

I want to add a vote to the "knowing the forum" thing.

>>im just not convinced that wouldnt put a bias on people deiciding / pre judging the merit of a thread

I think you should let adults make their own decisions, I've worked very hard over the years refining my bias's, wouldn't want all that "good" work going to waste. :)

#32 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:00 PM

Well, that's 3 and one more in email....

bearing in mind it's early days for the site i may have to do a U turn...

that's ok, but it raises some issues:

How can I do this without having to edit every bit of contributed content to contain [cr8] at the start of a title etc?

One way is the title attribute, i could even put a little help text telling people to mouseover to see where it leads but then workiing on the basis that it'd be a poor pro seo that didnt know how to do that it might be a little overkill....

thoughts?

#33 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

what about blogs? - they would all have to be lumped together as [blog] i think....

#34 McFox

McFox

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

Make that 4 votes.

During the form submission process, whenever a forum is selected, you could assign a label for the forum and then drop it into the appropriate thread (small gif, maybe). This would mean adding an additional step to the form submission process -- making it a two-step, but fully automated, one. One for the existing category, and one for the forum.

I would also suggest you make the "Submit Thread" link much more prominent in the visual line. I had to look for it for this reply and I've been to the site numerous times :D

You may even want to consider the idea of a horizontal navigation bar, just below the header blue line. Have a look at Eyetrack III.

Just a thought. Or two.

McF

#35 Nick_W

Nick_W

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:31 AM

Thanks McFox,

but actually i've worked it out :D

It appears that i can have a dropdown box on the submission form with the forum names (or [blog] or [article]) - users just have to choose the appropriate one and then some text next to the link will link to a page that explains a little about the forum...

I just hadnt realized this funcionality was there -- it' on the weekend TODO list :P

Another question
If I cover seo articles also (pro grade, naturally) then would it be better to make articles.threadwatch.org or threadwatch.org/articles

The reason i ask is maybe some people wouldnt like the 'recent posts' list to contain article links aswell as forum thread links...?

#36 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:08 AM

There's a thanks and a nice mention of this thread at Nick_W's site -

Site Reviews - Getting in Front of the Right Audience

Here's a snippet:

The long thread that came of my site review request produced an enormous amount of input from the team and the members over there. Much of which has been implemented, and much of which is still in the works. Thankyou cre8, i owe you more than i could adequately say for that.

Thank you, Nick.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users