10 replies to this topic

#1 DaveChild

DaveChild

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:30 AM

Anyone tried this yet? http://desktop.google.com/

I've had a quick look, but can't find muhc information about what people think of it...

#2 DaveChild

DaveChild

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:33 AM

And a quick Google for Google Desktop seems to show this as a new toy, which would explain why I can't find anything out about it!

Should be interesting. The thing claims to not support Opera, but all works ok so far. It's just indexing now, apparently.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

Yes, ILJD, I saw that and was wondering too.

I recently downloaded the Copernic Desktop Search from
http://www.copernic....desktop-search/
and have been very pleasantly surprised by some of the things it found on my computer. It searches any of the Web, Emails, Files, Music, Pictures, Videos, Contacts, and Favorites. It arranges the results in reverse time order, i.e. Today, This Week, etc. and gives last date and size. It's web search is using AllTheWeb. It's always indexing in the background when the computer is 'idle' and produces results very rapidly.

The Google Desktop search seems more limited so I don't aim to tie up any more of my computer on such matters for the moment. However perhaps others' comments may get me intrigued.

#4 DaveChild

DaveChild

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:45 AM

The new cache viewing stuff looks amazing - you can see previous versions of things, by the looks of it. That rocks. Otherwise, it's pretty good. As soonas it supports Opera, and therfore indexes Opera's web history, I'll be more of a fan ...

#5 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:55 AM

Yes, I should have mentioned that the Copernic Desktop Search also looks at the Internet Explorer Cache and does a pretty good job of it. However since Opera is my default there's not too much in there.

More than half of the entries in the cache are pop-ups thrown up by IE for dating services and the like, given that the Microsoft Hotbar is also installed for our Outlook Email. :(

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:56 AM

It doesn't work on my trusty 'ole Win98 box, which has most of my stuff crammed. Darn it! :doh:

But, my XP laptop might like it and everyone else's computers here. I'm the only one still cranking on an old OS...

#7 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

Has anyone tried it?

#8 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:44 PM

I certainly like the look of it. I think I'll download it tomorrow. I might try the one Barry recommended as well.

I imagine this will have a lot of privacy backlash, just like Gmail.

Here's an article I found over at SEW.

#9 Allergic

Allergic

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:17 PM

Take your time and wait for next release except if your main browser is IE and you want a product release to soon.

#10 polarmate

polarmate

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:02 AM

I downloaded the Gmail Notifier the other day. It sends my computer into a mode where everything only occurs in s-l-o-w motion. The Yahoo messenger does a better job of email notification than the Gmail notifier. So I am not in a hurry to try the Desktop search.

#11 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, polarmate. I too installed the Gmail Notifier and had noticed a certain sluggishness. My default browser is Opera but I look at my Gmail with Mozilla Firefox. I found Firefox would be very slow in opening and sometimes would not open without a reboot. I don't know whether there was a connection, but I've uninstalled the Gmail Notifier. I don't use that account much anyway. :D

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users