• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13602 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:21 PM

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out a great reference I found inside the blog of one our newest members to the Cre8 community ("RonZ").

He has a page about Designing for Seniors that comes with helpful information and further resources.

I know this topic is of some interest to several of you. I've already printed it out for personal reference myself! :D

#2 RonZ

RonZ

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:51 PM

Thanks! I tried to post about it but something went awry. It's in need of an update:

Bob's moved his page to: http://webusability....erly_9_2001.htm

Ergo/Gero seems to be gone. The page I referenced was a nice summary on how our vision changes as we age along with design guidelines on how to compensate somewhat for these changes. Anyone know of a good replacement?

I should add Older Wiser Wired (http://www.aarp.org/olderwiserwired/). They've made great progress in creating a resource for designers.

#3 mugshot

mugshot

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:22 AM

Are fairly large (at least 180 x 22 pixels for a graphic button), and 

That's one heck of a button :) How large is the demographics of users of that age using the Internet? Also, if they do use the Internet, I'm sure they are not looking at SEO, Web Design, or Usability websites are they?

While the article makes perfect sense from the research, wouldn't this be something we already deduced from living life? When someone gets older their vision, hearing, reflexes, etc decreases in effectiveness ;)

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13602 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:56 AM

For further reference:

Senior Usability Resources

#5 webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:46 PM

Nice resources - we've been working on a site for AGES for a walking-cane retailer - their market is primarily seniors, or those purchasing for seniors - although we still struggle to work out what the split between those 2 categories are.

Anyway - nice resources, thanks!

#6 Eddie

Eddie

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:35 AM

The over 50s are a very large and growing quickly segment of net users. It might pay to remember as well, that these are the people with money to spend, whereas your average teenager is probably broke. :shock:

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users