• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:47 PM

For you Firefox fans out there, Firefox 1.0 launches tommorrow, November 9th.
http://www.theregist...efox_countdown/

http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/

#2 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

Oh, I thought I was already using Firefox 1.0. After reading your post I checked and realised it's the preview release!

Well, looking forward to America's November the 9th then. It's already tomorrow here though. :)

#3 Andy

Andy

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:38 AM

ITS HERE!!!!

Woot

:)

I'm afraid the sites are taking a bit of a bashing, so heres a link:

http://ftp.mozilla.o...ox/releases/1.0

and for all us torrent people:

http://ftp.mozilla.o...1.0.exe.torrent

#4 DaveChild

DaveChild

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:52 AM

Cool. When's the New York Times ad going out?

#5 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:53 AM

I believe that they got a special deal on the full page ad for specifying a window of time that it could appear rather than a specific date.

So, it could be any time within the next two weeks or so. (maybe even today, if there happens to be an empty slot available.)

And maybe it did happen today - the Spread Firefox page is not resolving for me.

#6 little mike

little mike

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:47 AM

Like you Tim, i thought i was already using Firefox 1.0.

Do you have to uninstall the evaluation version before installing 1.0?

#7 Andy

Andy

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:29 AM

Like you Tim, i thought i was already using Firefox 1.0.

Do you have to uninstall the evaluation version before installing 1.0?

Mike, you can just install it and it will update it for you and keep all your extensions (if compatible) and all other info.

:)

Andy

#8 little mike

little mike

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Andy.

#9 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

And maybe it did happen today - the Spread Firefox page is not resolving for me.

I'm experiencing problems as well. After a long delay I managed to get the getfirefox.com page to load without style sheets, but couldn't get any further. :(

But the bright side is that lots more people are using Firefox :).
I'l just have to try again tomorrow.

#10 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

Well I have been watching and comparing Opera and Firefox. Today I loaded Firefox 1.0 as my default browser. There are a few small features which are enough to tip me across from Opera. I wasn't using Opera for my email so that made the choice easier.

I still haven't figured out how to read RSS newsfeeds in Firefox, which has really been going well in Opera. What's the easiest way to read newsfeeds in Firefox? I thought I'd seen it somewhere but my search did not turn up an answer.

#11 Ransak

Ransak

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

Hi Barry,

I really have played with RSS feeds so I don't even know what they are supposed to look like....but..

There is an orange square on the bottom right of the firefox browser window (at least on Mac OSX, version 1.0beta. ) that says "RSS"

I clicked it while at cre8asite and it gave me an option to 'subscribe to rss' I did that and it created a bookmark. That bookmark contains a list of links to various topics within cre8asite.

Is this how the RSS is supposed to work?

Frank V.

#12 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:03 PM

I believe that's exactly how it works. Apparently you create what is called a Live Bookmark which is a listing of all the items in the Newsfeed. It's all explained here.

#13 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

Is this how the RSS is supposed to work?

I'm not sure that their implementation is quite up to what you would get using a news aggregator that is specifically for just RSS feeds.

There's an excellent list of different RSS readers here:

http://www.lights.com/weblogs/rss.html

Or an online service like bloglines or Kinja might be something you want to look at.

I guess the Firefox developers thought that they had to start somewhere. Hopefully it will improve with newer releases.

#14 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

There's an extension for Firefox called Sage. It's basically an RSS reader. I was using it but then decided I prefered something external and simple, like SharpReader.

Anyway, it might be worth checking it out: http://sage.mozdev.org/

#15 paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:25 PM

I am not upto speed with the whole RSS feed thing either, however I did today come accross this for Mac OS X -

NewsFire

Did try to see if it could pick up the Cre8asite feed, but it doesn't (not sure if it should be able to or not) it does however display feeds from Apple and BBC etc. It also has a feature that can search for feeds from sites displayed in Safari.

<edit>

Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.3,

</edit>

#16 paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:06 PM

Ok Newsfire going in the trash,

NetNewsWire from the link in Bills post is much better, now I get the RSS feed from Cre8asite, I can even read the post I made above, in it which is great.

#17 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:49 PM

Well, I think Firefox still needs some work. :)

I was just in the process of writing a long'ish review in the Website Hospital forum, and I used an extension to help me out (one that opens the current page in IE)...and Firefox crashed..even though IE opened fine. :cry: I guess that just teaches me to write my posts elsewhere and copy them in...

#18 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:06 PM

Yes, I'm struggling to get some of the functionalities I liked in Opera, but I intend to stick with it. I just find Firefox is great when I want to evaluate and test a website. I had a crazy one this afternoon where a website with the typical top and left menu bars had a large image in the open space in the bottom right quadrant of the 800 x 600 screen. This appeared fine in IE but not at all in Firefox.

I tried that Sage extension you mentioned, Tim, for RSS newsfeeds and it seems OK. The Live Bookmarks are OK as well. However both show me all the items in each news feed. With Opera I can see what new items have been added and even set it up to look only at the latest unread items. Now that's great, but I don't know how to do that with Firefox.

I also love the Wand in Opera that inserts Usernames and Passwords and then opens the particular web page. That's all just with one click on the Wand. I don't see how I'm going to get the same functionality although there is something about Passwords in Firefox that I haven't got to yet.

Nevertheless I just keep on trying to get Firefox to work the way I want it. :)

#19 paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

For all the little extensions and features Firefox is great, but for me it is still 2nd to Safari for general browsing.

#20 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:35 AM

BTW for RSS newsfeeds, I tried Sage and wasn't very impressed. Live Bookmarks are 'OK" but not great. What I find works really well for me is Bloglines.com. I've set up a Bookmark for my Bloglines account and I'm really impressed with the functionality there. So I have my working solution for now, until someone else points me to something better. :)

#21 Ransak

Ransak

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:34 PM

Bloglines looks interesting Barry. They also have firefox extensions for it though I haven't tried them yet. I'm checking out Sage right now. I guess I need to play around with RSS a bit more to understand why one system is better than another.

Frank V.

#22 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:13 PM

Hm. Interesting. I clicked on an XML button on a blog, and Opera opened its newsreader interface; all the links were there, the text displayed underneath, each with a link to the specific post on the blog post. Nice.

I like having the posts come to my desktop, rather than logging in somewhere else.

#23 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:41 AM

Frank, as far as I can see it's just a question of how the Newsfeeds are summarized for you. Like Diane I liked the way Opera handled Newsfeeds. It could make any that have changed really stand out from the crowd. But for other reasons, I wanted to switch to Firefox and I'm certainly very happy with that decision. However 'Live Bookmarks' in Firefox just doesn't cut it for Newsfeeds and I didn't find Sage handy either.

Now I find Bloglines gives me in Firefox exactly the same functionality as I was getting in Opera. Also the Bloglines extension you spotted that gives me one click submission of RSS newsfeeds to my Bloglines web page is really great.

So on this I'm now a very happy camper. :)

#24 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:58 AM

Hey guys, are you all asleep out there? :?

I really have got to say that as I continue to explore Firefox 1.0 I'm like a small kid on Christmas morning with all those exciting packages under the tree. I thought Opera was great when I switched to that and was resisting Firefox for some time, but last week I tipped over. I check out a lot of websites for my clients and it's just ideal for really getting into depth on that. Just one small feature for example. I set up a 800 x 600 window to do my checking. On my 1024 x 768 screen that allows me to jump around like crazy. But there's so much, much more.

So does everyone else feel like me? I know they do on Jill's Forum. Am I the only one here who is over the moon about this?

#25 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:06 AM

Barry, normally, I prefer Opera, as I find it faster (even than Firefox).

But FF seems to be less forgiving than some browsers (that's a *good* thing), and you've given me another reason to use it: the window resizing. Thanks.

#26 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:15 AM

Yes, I agree, Diane. Firefox is a bit slower but ... the wait is worth it. :)

I also agree about the unforgiving nature as well. I had a case that I still don't understand. It was a website for a small candle manufacturer. In IE the centre of the home page has a beautiful large image of the various candles and there are menu bars across the top and down the left hand side. Very pleasing. :)

In Firefox, the image did not appear at all. :? I didn't have the time to explore why this happened.

I think with the rapid growth of Firefox and the big blitz now in November (New York Times ad), a large number of web designers need to get up to speed fast. I've noticed some astounding glitches with some of the real blue-chip websites that are around.

#27 paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:17 AM

I think Firefox is going to save some time, by downloading - this I can now do the following with a couple of clicks-

View and Edit CSS

Hide images

Replace images with alt

Disable image animations

View a speed report

Resize a page to 800x600 or any other size

Validate HTML and CSS

and much more.

Another handy extension I found lets me control itunes from the bottom of the browser.

#28 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

I went on another Firefox Extension crawl today, and now have 31 extensions installed - 13 of them installed today. :D

For those who haven't yet made the switch from IE to Firefox, here's an article I found which sums up the pros and cons nicely:
Review: Migrating to Mozilla FireFox

It's in two parts, the second part is intended to be read once you've been convinced by the first part:
Installing Mozilla FireFox: A Practical Guide

#29 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:04 PM

Firefox Extension crawl today, and now have 31 extensions installed - 13 of them installed today.

Which really is part of what puts me off using it as my primary browser.
When I upgrade Opera, or install it on a new machine, I alter a few toolbars, download MacosVolter skin, and am done.

With Firefox I'd be there for ages finding, downloading, insatlling new extensions all the time. I really can't be bother with that hassle, especially on a new machine when there are laods of other programmes I want to install too.

#30 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

Good point.

But, if there was an extension that made a nice text file with a list of your installed extensions and the pages to download them from, would that make the reinstalling process easier?

#31 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

Another neat Opera feature is that you can customize your toolsbars. It's not just a choice of which toolbars you want to display, but what buttons you want on them, and in what order.

#32 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:09 PM

no, because of the time it takes to do it all......

Compared to an opera install, it jsut doesn't compare for me. Besides, I haven;t seen an FF tool as good as Opera's mouse gestures yet :D

#33 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:10 PM

neat Opera feature is that you can customize your toolsbars

And where they display :D

I persoanlyl like my tabs and personal bar at the bottom of the screen, rather than the top....

#34 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:15 PM

But then the thing about Firefox is there's extensions that do all of that anyway :D. And with a list of your extensions, it'll probably take 5 minutes at most to go through and install them all.

neat Opera feature is that you can customize your toolsbars

And that's also built into Firefox - no extension needed.

Besides, I haven;t seen an FF tool as good as Opera's mouse gestures yet

https://update.mozil.....ouse Gestures

It's the Firefox and Opera war. :wink:

#35 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:25 PM

Help, guys. The first glitch I've spotted.

I love that F3 'Find in This Page' feature that puts a little bar across the bottom of the screen with a few relevant buttons. I loved that Highlight button that highlights all instances of the searched text on the page. It was great.

Suddenly it's stopped working. Can anyone think why? Is it just me? Did I do something wrong? :)

#36 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:52 PM

But then the thing about Firefox is there's extensions that do all of that anyway . And with a list of your extensions, it'll probably take 5 minutes at most to go through and install them all.

The thought of requiring yet more extensions to do stuff that Opera does out of the box isn't any incentive :)

And no, it wouldn't really take 5 mins. If you've got a new system, and a list of what you want, you still need to find them, download them, and then install them.

Otherwise I need to keep a copy of the extension install files on something, a CD or USB memory stick or something. Which then needs updating if I ever update any of the extensions.

To me it's hassle, I don't want hassle. Getting onto a new machine and installing Opera is painless. Once 7.6 is released properly, I'll need about a 4MB download of Opera. A seperate Java installer, which might be with something else, or doesn't change/update very often anyway. Then a few toolbar tweaks, which I could automate by saving a master opera6def.ini file, and a skin download, which again rarely gets updated.

Firefox is a good browser, I like it, I use it as a 2nd choice. But for my everyday use, I find Opera does what I want much better. Less hassle to go from nothing to full working mode with it. Mouse gestures that work better than any of those FF extensions IMO. I prefer the working of the tabbed browsing in Opera, and the toolbars aren't as customisable in FF.

#37 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:11 AM

The first glitch I've spotted.

Silly me. :(

It was me, not Firefox. I loaded the Firefox version of the Google Toolbar that also has highlighting of keywords. So Google had muscled out the Firefox version of highlighting. So I'm back to my euphoria about Firefox. :)

#38 little mike

little mike

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:02 AM

Although i think Firefox is good, one problem i have with it that i didn't have with IE is that quite often when i try to go to a web site the message comes up 'websitename.com' could not be found. Please check the name and try again. It happens with any web site even ones such as Hotmail. Anyone else have this problem?

#39 Tim

Tim

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3094 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:06 AM

Yup! I have the same problem.

I just assumed it was a problem with my DNS. Everytime it happened, I'd flush my DNS cache, and it would be fine... so that made me think it's not Firefox. But if you're experiencing it as well, and only with Firefox, maybe there is something strange going on....

If you flush your cache, do you still get the errors?

(Start-->Run, ipconfig /flushdns)

#40 little mike

little mike

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:52 AM

Tim, please excuse this really dumb question. If i clear my DNS Cache what am i getting rid off, Cookies?, History of sites visited?, ????

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users