• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_H

Paul_H

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:59 AM

During October i noticed an increase in clicks without extra sales and became suspicious . Not suspicious enough to do much about it other than to try and detect repeat visitors on badly setup anonymous proxies, just as i started to monitor activity the fraud stopped. I never contacted Google.

Seems Google were on the case and i received a refund today, they donít give details other than it was on the content network. Pleasantly surprised :)

More about google click quality here https://adwords.goog...ickquality.html

#2 webcertain

webcertain

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:57 AM

So did you need to send anything (logs..)?
Cheers,
Johann

#3 Paul_H

Paul_H

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:38 AM

The only evidence i had was an increased CTR from about 3-6% to 12%. I looked through the logs but hadnít spotted anything conclusive. Guess this shows i need to write something to better analyse the logs.

I never contacted Google as the increased CTR returned to normal, this was a few weeks ago.

I have no idea what Google detected, could be they recently spotted something or it could be something from months ago. Email i received from Google simply said they had detected fraudulent clicks and were refunding some money.

#4 webcertain

webcertain

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:48 AM

Sounds very fair and honest to me :-)
It's not always easy to monitor all datas, and as long as the action rate is not too badly touched..

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:33 PM

Might be a good time to take a look at ClickDetective which is a click fraud detection service.

#6 Paul_H

Paul_H

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:16 PM

Looks good Ammon.

Cheers

Anyone know of a similar product for offline use? have several accounts so it should work out cheaper in long run. Pus Iím not keen on other sites knowing my stats.

#7 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:44 PM

I know of several companies that have such software, Paul, but none that sell it. Many companies with big enough budgets to protect decided to build their own. That decision might be appropriate to you too, if saving around 10-20 percent (depends on markets and average click costs you deal with) of your PPC spend this year is worth more than the cost of developing such a piece of software...

#8 Paul_H

Paul_H

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:52 AM

Think i will look at developing my own - now added to my list of 101 things to do.
If only i could survive without sleep :)

cheers

#9 webcertain

webcertain

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:17 AM

Does this type of program make claims easier with the ppc se?
Cheers,
Johann

#10 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:54 PM

There is at least one alternative, Paul - you could seek out some other companies in the same posoition and form a cooperative project to have the software built. That could split the costs considerably, and thus make it possible to come up with the budget to outsource the project to an independant developer (or developers) far sooner...

Johann, having very clear figures and a level of certainty will help in just about any situation. :P

#11 webcertain

webcertain

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:49 AM

Amon, I meant: does it make it easier than presenting raw stats?
Cheers,
Johann

#12 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:59 AM

Not really. But it does make it easier for you to spot and thus raise with Google or whoever in the first place.

#13 webcertain

webcertain

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:11 AM

Thanks Ammon :-)

#14 gmac17

gmac17

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:44 PM

do you spend a lot on adwords?

i ask because I wonder if they refunded you because you are a big spender, where they may not listen to a regular person...

#15 Web Diversity

Web Diversity

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:02 PM

The amount spent shouldn't and doesn't matter.

Google are in the process of taking an Adsense publisher to court for fraudulently clicking on ads to generate income for themselves, and even this might be a scapegoat case it certainly should send out a message to Adsense publishers that Google take the whole issue of click fraud seriously.

It has to do this really because advertisers depend on the integrity of the traffic source. Without this the market wouldn't exist. Imagine the carnage at your local bank with no security guards etc..

#16 JJ

JJ

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:23 AM

Ammon....thanks for suggesting Click Detective... I recently signed up and just love it!!

A funny thing happened.... The day I implemented the code im google landing page and created the tracking URL.....I saw my CTR rate drop from an average of 6-7% down to 3-3.5%!!! I also notice the impressions have been about half of what they were prior to the Fraud implementation.....

Anyone car to share some insight ???

John

#17 ChrisChoi

ChrisChoi

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:06 AM

Awesome. I've heard Google being really generous with this a couple
of times. I really have to applaud Google for this and tracking down
those click frauds.

#18 gmac17

gmac17

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

[quote]Google are in the process of taking an Adsense publisher to court for fraudulently clicking on ads to generate income for themselves, and even this might be a scapegoat case it certainly should send out a message to Adsense publishers that Google take the whole issue of click fraud seriously.

It has to do this really because advertisers depend on the integrity of the traffic source. ..[/quote]

yeah, unfortunately Google doesn't take the issue of Click fraud seriously enough themselves imo. To them, one person clicking on your ad every day for a year is just fine. I signed up for a different fraud detection service and couldn't believe what I saw....[/quote]

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users