• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#1 Advisor

Advisor

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 06:48 PM

Feel free to post your questions here no matter how dumb you think they are. Trust me, I answer some pretty dumb ones all day long via email, so it will be good to have a place to have everyone see the answers.

You may or may not be surprised to know that most people's dumb SEO questions are many other people's SEO question too! Very often when I answer a question in my newsletter, I get many replies thanking me because they were wondering the same thing.

So please, post away. There are many knowledgeable people here to help you!

Jill

#2 Rupert

Rupert

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 12:44 PM

Jill,
i will do. I spend so much time at WW, I will probably only be popping in to lurk for now, but thought it worth while to register, as this forum has made a stir in all other Forna (?) :D

Looks a good team here, many logical thinkers I recognise from Market position! Despite lots of lurking however, I still have lots to learn on this game!

#3 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 01:31 PM

Hi Rupert :wave:

Love the picture.

Looks a good team here, many logical thinkers I recognise from Market position!

Yes there are. There is also me. :)

Despite lots of lurking however, I still have lots to learn on this game!

You know, one of the reasons that SEO inspires such strong communities is that we all still have lots to learn. Even if anyone knew everything there was to know about the state of SEO today, they'll still have more to learn tomorrow, and are probably researching for it now. :D

Having stepped out of lurk mode once, don't be shy to post again whenever you have a question. It is always faster than waiting for someone else to ask it weeks later, and so shortens the learning curve. We never mind answering questions, and when we have, you can answer that question for someone else next time. Its a community thing. :P

#4 Advisor

Advisor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 01:52 PM

Welcome, Rupert! :wave:

Jill

#5 Rupert

Rupert

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Ammon, will do.

Seen your name about a bit! (for nearly 3 years I think).

As for the pic, sorry about that, I take all photos on our house, and we were on hols in L.A last Feb. The only one of me on the PC. I look alot older now...

#6 Rupert

Rupert

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 02:48 PM

Thanks Jill,
I love the emoticons,and the personal pictures, they make people less threatening.

Particularly to newbies. I feel a woman's touch!

#7 Guest_PhilC_*

Guest_PhilC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2002 - 02:53 PM

Have you seen MY picture???!!! :evil:

Phil.

P.S Welcome ;)

#8 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 03:25 PM

Yup. T'was on some poster outside the police station I think ;)

#9 Advisor

Advisor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 03:35 PM

Yup. T'was on some poster outside the police station I think ;)

That reminds of when I was in Munich for the SES conference there a few months ago. I was doing some siteseeing with Shari Thurow and a few others, and we kept seeing this newspaper on every street corner that had a picture of some fugitive or something. The guy had a long, long beard and long hair. So I point it out to Shari and say, "What's Fantomaster doing in the paper?" :!: (I found out later that she told him!)

Jill

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 04:02 PM

ok. For the record? The woman in my picture is not really me.

Kim :wink:

#11 JimZim

JimZim

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:21 AM

Hello all!

First, thanks to everyone involved here really putting together such a compelling forum,
(even to Phil:

Have you seen MY picture???!!!

I really like your photo Phil, but if you have something better, maybe now's the time to surprise us all?? :wink: ).

Next, I have to put out the question: is lurking really such a bad thing :?: I mean, I have never been a HUGE forum/BBS type of participant, however, I have taken advantage of them for one of their inherent reasons for being created: providing answers to unknown questions without having to publicly look stupid!

Feel free to post your questions here no matter how dumb you think they are. Trust me, I answer some pretty dumb ones all day long via email, so it will be good to have a place to have everyone see the answers.

Besides, every single article or "newbie" post I ever read when I was first getting used to these type forums stressed that perusing the forums was teh way to go as a newbie. "You'll likely find the answer to your questions and problems if you look around, first". Anyways, that's the excuse I am using for my lurking the past 3 days!

I have almost read all of the posts here, and I have to say that moderators and other contributors are some of the most knowledgable individuals in the realm of SEO/Online Marketing arena that I have come across thus far.

Over the past 2.5 years, I have done a lot of learning and self educating in the areas of Online Marketing (Corey Rudl and his offerings at the Internet Marketing Center), online sales copy writing, SEO with WPG2 (as opposed to GRkda; sorry Rick!), as well as continuing to further my web development skills (been programming from scratch since before Netscape (damn, I guess I AM old!), have taught at local Career College and worked the dot com bubble). Didn't take me long to realize that freelance web dev pretty much dried up after the burst, so I found myself quickly becoming a Mobile Computing "Expert" and working for one of the U.S. Cellular Carriers (I won't plug them since I am just now walking away from them, but suffice it to say, I think their technology is okay, just their culture and business philosophy could use some work; of course I feel all the carriers could use some work in those areas :evil: ).

Sorry, I digress, but wanted to let the other "lurkers" realize that its okay to check out the threads. This time I really wasn't looking for any particular answers, just wanted to see what the community was like out there for SEO/online marketing. This forum and its participants are most incredibly knowledgable. I actually had the audacity to think I really knew a lot about this industry, and in just the past couple of days I have learned at least as much as I thought I already knew. More importantly, from reading the posts, I have learned of several areas I didn't even know I didn't know :!:

So, hopefully, I'll be allowed to stay around for a while. I have some thoughts and ideas on posts in different cat's and will get to that (soon?). Other than that, my only comment regards

ok. For the record? The woman in my picture is not really me.

If she isn't you, could you maybe send me a PM and let me know who the woman in the pic is? 8)

Good weekend all. Thanks for the great place to come and learn. (Goes out to BK as well. I just finished devouring pretty much every thing at your site. Thanks for putting it all there)

#12 Rupert

Rupert

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 03:59 AM

Wow What a welcome! Thanks, your folks chat alot!
If That is not you Kim, Someone keeps changing the picture. (CAn you put the pics on a timer, You could have different ones for different...well,

Coffee head....beer head...sleepy head..

Jim, that learning curve sounds familiar!
PhilC...I cannot comment on your pic, I do not know you. If i say it looks good, you might get the wrong idea, and...well...I could not be rude to you...

#13 Guest_PhilC_*

Guest_PhilC_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2002 - 10:06 AM

Just a quickie about lurking.

Lurking is an excellent thing to do. A lot can be learned by just reading. Forums would like people to register so that they know how many people are around, but it's just a natural ego thing. We're no different.

So, for any lurkers, you are very welcome to lurk as long as you like. We hope you learn from what people write here. If there is something you don't quite understand, or if you have something to contribute to anything, please register and get stuck in.

Phil.

#14 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 10:21 AM

If she isn't you, could you maybe send me a PM and let me know who the woman in the pic is?

Well ok, it's me. But to me, I look so RELAXED in that shot. It was taken almost 2 years ago exactly, five months before I was to be laid off during the 3rd round (of many) layoffs from once dot-com star, VerticalNet. By that time we all knew we'd no longer be millionaires with our $200 a share stock holdings, but with CDNow laying off just down the road, I felt really lucky to be still attached to The Dot Com Life.

Now self employed, I often wonder if I ever look that happy :shock: Rupert, I did recently change it. Had another one up. Was in the mood for a change. The timer thing would be cool, but if Phil has nudie pics of himself, he may take advantage of it. I'm already nervous about April Fools Day, 2003. :P Phil has a wonderful mischievious streak!

It's helpful to hear people's thoughts on this forum. I know the moderators really like each other a lot (despite their debates) and aren't afraid to share a lot of themselves and their expertise. They're each so busy I'm surprised they have time to come here at all!

I like hearing about members and their experiences too. Lurking is perfectly fine. I do it myself sometimes. Lurking is great when you're in "self teaching mode". You can simply suck up the wealth of information.
Sharing bits of yourself is always nice too, though. Helps build the community.

If I could, I'd be out shaking hands with everyone who drops by...

Now. Am off to chop down a X-mas tree with my kids. Always an emotional thing. The Native American blood in me screams every year when I do this. I hug the tree, talk to it. Pretty pathetic really :oops:

Kim

#15 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 04:15 PM

is lurking really such a bad thing :?:  I mean, I have never been a HUGE forum/BBS type of participant, however, I have taken advantage of them for one of their inherent reasons for being created: providing answers to unknown questions without having to publicly look stupid!

Lurking is not a bad thing per se, but imagine if we all lurked - what would there be to learn from? :P Certainly, the whole idea of a public discussion is to answer questions for far more people than were ever involved in the discussion, yet the discussions have to be sparked, and usually by a question.

Many lurkers (in any forum, whatever the topic or nature) feel nervous that their questions will look simple or too basic compared to some other discussions. But think for a moment. If only really experienced SEOs were to hold discussion, this would result in a forum that was of little or no use to the newcomer. Discussions of all levels are vital to the usefulness of a forum.

We certainly don't mind people lurking. However, we also have to encourage people to feel free to ask questions, especially basic and entry-level questions, because other, more experienced SEOs may simply overlook to give advice on such matters otherwise.

Besides, every single article or "newbie" post I ever read when I was first getting used to these type forums stressed that perusing the forums was teh way to go as a newbie. "You'll likely find the answer to your questions and problems if you look around, first". Anyways, that's the excuse I am using for my lurking the past 3 days!

Yes, I've certainly seen that happen Jim, and where the same topic comes up week after week in some forums, they are naturally encouraging people to read first and ask questions after.

Cre8asite is still very new and young however. It is a real testimony to the users and moderators here that this forum has so swiftly gained attention and some repute. So far, excessive repetition is not a problem for us. Rather, we need a lot more issues to come into discussion, so that we can continue to expand and deepen the level and amount of help that we can provide.

I would say that "read first and ask questions afterwards" is good advice, but notice that it still encourages people to ask questions afterwards (if they still need to).

Besides, we really enjoy getting to know the people we are helping with our discussions.

Sorry, I digress, but wanted to let the other "lurkers" realize that its okay to check out the threads. This time I really wasn't looking for any particular answers, just wanted to see what the community was like out there for SEO/online marketing.

I agree completely Jim, but we too really do like to see what the community out there is like - and that means all the readers.

Thanks for the great place to come and learn. (Goes out to BK as well. I just finished devouring pretty much every thing at your site. Thanks for putting it all there)

Thanks to you too, Jim, for stepping out to say "Hi" and for all your encouraging and complimentary words. It's a pleasure to 'meet' you.

#16 JimZim

JimZim

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 05:01 PM

Thanks to you too, Jim, for stepping out to say "Hi" and for all your encouraging and complimentary words.  It's a pleasure to 'meet' you.

No, Ammon, the pleasure is truly all mine. I meant it when I expressed to the forum that I feel humbled (and gracious) that this forum is available. It really helps me to trully understand and value the web for all it has to offer.

I'll continue to hang out and interact where/if I can. At least until I make someone really unhappy with my existence. (I hope I haven't done that with PhilC yet! I have enjoyed reading both his posts and the info on his site.)

Thanks, again for the welcome and your input. Definite appreciation from my side of the ether :P

#17 Guest_PhilC_*

Guest_PhilC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2002 - 10:40 AM

I'll continue to hang out and interact where/if I can. At least until I make someone really unhappy with my existence. (I hope I haven't done that with PhilC yet!

Not in the slightest Jim :P Your compliments have been very nice, but do feel free to say so when you disagree. When it gets a bit quiet around here we roll another episode of the "Phil 'n' Jill" show. (It used to be called the "Jill 'n' Phil" show but I've hijacked the first-name spot). Sometimes Ammon gets a bit jealous and tries to muscle in on the show, but that's Ammon all over - a right clever ****! 8)

Phil.

#18 Advisor

Advisor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 10:47 AM

When it gets a bit quiet around here we roll another episode of the "Phil 'n' Jill" show.

:BIG:

#19 ChrisP

ChrisP

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 10:49 AM

Just a brief comment about asking dumb questions (which we all hate doing!) - the solution is to create two characters on the forum list :D , and then you can ask your dumb questions with your dumb hat on, and save tricky questions for your "normal" self so that you don't get embarrassed! :oops: Just don't get involved in an argument with yourself!

Seriously though, I've always avoided such forums, but started lurking on this and have learned tons already. Thanks to all!

#20 Jbishop

Jbishop

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:00 AM

Lurking and Lurning.

The differences are miniscule.

I've recently been upgraded to Team Leader for my SEO/Web Development biz, and I encourage all of my 2 underlings to spend at least an hour a day lurking on forums. We've all got plenty to learn and this is a great way to do it!

This is an excellent way to spend a lunch hour!

Kim- :wink: Couldn't you just get an artificial tree?

#21 JimZim

JimZim

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:08 AM

Ahh, so ChrisP is the one...

Hey, Welcome Chris. Yeah I have to agree with JB that this is one helluva forum. Of course, if you're not careful it will make you an insomniac, but that's a small price to pay! :shock:

#22 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:11 AM

Kim-  Couldn't you just get an artificial tree?

Me?? Nature girl?? I do my best to honor the tree spirit. If I had single home with a yard big enough (single mom's don't get them too easily where I live. Ave. home price is $225,000) I digress. Anyway, IF I had the room, I'd get a balled tree and replant it.

Fortunately my town gathers all the discarded trees in January and turns them into free mulch for the residents.

See? Why lurk when you can talk about all kinds of weird stuff in this Forum? 8)

Kim

#23 Jbishop

Jbishop

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 01:04 PM

Kim-  Couldn't you just get an artificial tree?

Me?? Nature girl?? I do my best to honor the tree spirit. If I had single home with a yard big enough (single mom's don't get them too easily where I live. Ave. home price is $225,000) I digress. Anyway, IF I had the room, I'd get a balled tree and replant it.

Kim

Got plenty of real estate in the States...

You could get a plot big enough to house a decade's worth of Christmas trees. Come visit Florida sometime! :D

#24 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 07:58 PM

Seriously though, I've always avoided such forums, but started lurking on this and have learned tons already. Thanks to all!

Thanks for the complement, Chris, and for un-lurking and letting us know we're doing some good here. ;)

#25 robwatts

robwatts

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:31 AM

Great forum guys and gals, some very interesting posts and debates. Ive been lurking here for quite a while and thought it was time to say hi, so erm..hi ;)

#26 Advisor

Advisor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:36 AM

Hi Rob, and welcome!

Jill

#27 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:40 AM

Welcome, and thank you. We're new. We're trying stuff. We're hopeful. :P

Kim

#28 ChrisP

ChrisP

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:44 AM

Hi Rob - nice to have another Brit on board! Some of these conversations go on at very unsociable times for us!

#29 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:56 AM

Are you kidding? You're in good company. I think over half of our guests are NOT from the US (or won't admit it, ha ha). Anyway, if you feel lonely, you must check out

http://www.cre8asite...p?showtopic=748

:P

Kim

#30 enigma

enigma

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 12:05 PM

Hi Rob, Herts, eh. I'll pick you up on the way down to Black Knight's watering whole once we get a pub sorted :wink:

#31 ChrisP

ChrisP

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 12:06 PM

Sounds like fun Kim. It's a curious thing, but Web Developers and the like do seem to like the odd tipple!

(Is he still doing well in politics, and how much will you get for your story?)

#32 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 12:11 PM

Hi Rob, and welcome :wave:

As Chris mentioned, there are a good few fellow Brits here, some of whom might even be interested in a drink perhaps...

#33 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:21 PM

(Is he still doing well in politics, and how much will you get for your story?)

Well, a few years after my fall, I began to run into him at an annual X-mas party held by a friend of mine who married someone who, to my amusement, was good friends with the guy. So, for years at these parties I would be face to face with him AND HIS WIFE, who as I soon learned, was a sloppy drunk, which of course made the whole thing all the more hilarious to me.

Anyway, I always kept his secret about hanging out at that bar, the dance, the fall, flirting with me...and about 2 years ago he left public office and moved out of state. For all I know, there's a whole 'nother story there too!

:wink:

Kim

#34 ChrisP

ChrisP

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:22 AM

I bet he found those parties stressful :shock:

he left public office and moved out of state

there goes a quick buck! I was hoping you'd tell us he was running for VP...

#35 enigma

enigma

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:40 AM

I was hoping you'd tell us he was running for VP...

Judging by his antics, that 'P' should probably be a 'D'.

#36 JimZim

JimZim

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:46 AM

I was hoping you'd tell us he was running for VP...

Judging by his antics, that 'P' should probably be a 'D'.

[size=11]Ahhhh, Leave it to my friend Enigma! (yup, still awake) :twisted:

#37 ChrisP

ChrisP

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:55 AM

By my calculations it's 2AM where you are now... and people say Forums aren't addictive!

#38 JimZim

JimZim

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:00 AM

[size=11]Your calcs are correct, my friend. And I have been expressing my addictions to these spots for about a month now!

#39 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 07:25 AM

Once he de-cloaked (stopped lurking) he just couldn't keep away - luckily for us. :)

#40 JimZim

JimZim

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 07:40 AM

Once he de-cloaked (stopped lurking) he just couldn't keep away - luckily for us. :)

[size=11]Maintain thy tongue, BK, lest the Klingons realize their technology has been compromised by Federation Officers.

(Okay, I am going to bed, now!)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users