2 replies to this topic

#1 sanity

sanity

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

Interesting article from Newsfactor: http://www.newsfacto...?story_id=29044

For years, many Web designers have maintained that Web sites should have the broadest possible appeal. But that guideline is coming under increased criticism as companies focus their efforts on serving their best customers first

One way they do this is through Senario Design which also touches on using personas which Bill raises in this thread.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

Funny, the article reminded me of a similar approach from a major big box store merchant in the US:

Best Buy hopes to exorcize devil patrons

Now, Best Buy is one of the few stores that I go into where the sales clerks are usually falling all over themselves to try to "help" me buy something. It's a little offputting, actually.

I must fit the profile that they are aiming for. :)

Interesting in the Best Buy article, "profiles" are refereed to, and in the NewsFactor story that you point to, they refer to "personas".

So, what is the difference between a persona and a profile?

#3 RonZ

RonZ

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:05 AM

So, what is the difference between a persona and a profile?

Nothing, since neither has an agreed upon definition, nor will anyone hold you to any definition. Call it what you will...

For years, many Web designers have maintained that Web sites should have the broadest possible appeal. But that guideline is coming under increased criticism as companies focus their efforts on serving their best customers first

Wonder which web designers those where, or why anyone cares?
Another provocative introduction to an article that ends up not actually relating to the article. I think bragadocchio is right, that the quote (and article) is meant to make people think of the currently fashionable business issue of targeting customers.

I also like the Google bomb in the article for security. I wonder if the author or NewsFactor gets paid for that.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users