Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Trying to make a corporate case for SEO...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mwilson

mwilson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:19 PM

In trying to make a case for our organization's sites to adopt basic SEO practices, I'm hitting a technical roadblock and need some advice to pass on to our IS staff.

We run a series of members-only sites (that I'm trying to convince other to open up to the public in an SEO effort), but as a test, I'm trying to suggest how we can do this using our existing, home-grown CMS and just removing the log-in process.

IS has set up a mirrored page from within our site outside our firewall at http://search.huntingclub.com, so I can throw some test spiders at it and see if they can indeed spider the content.

Unfortunately, the test spiders (this one, http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spid...-simulator.php) can read the links, but not the CMS-served content on the page... and I'm at a lose as to why.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated so I can pass on to IS and continue on my SEO evangelizing.

Note: I know about the other glaring "poor SEO" practices on our pages... I just want to tackle this first problem first.

Again - thanks in advance.
Matt Wilson

#2 mwilson

mwilson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:01 AM

Just wanted to try one more request for assistance on this question.

Thanks in advance to any of you who can help.

Matt Wilson

#3 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:26 PM

Well, you have a HTML tag to embed JavaScript in the page before you've actually opened the page (before the opening HTML tag) which is invalid code.

The first line of code in the source should be a DTD (Doc-Type Declaration) that tells any device accessing the file what kind of file it is.

The second should be the opening HTML tag that must surround all other HTML elements
<html>

<head>
Only then should the javascript tag be placed in the document (or better still, put into an external javascript file with a .JS file extension).

#4 mwilson

mwilson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:00 PM

Thanks BK.

Well...  in-between my whiney post this morning and your answer - we figured out why spiders were getting stopped on our page immediately after the <title> tag... and fixed it.

Needless to say, we have a long way to go to properly optimize the site, but at least we're heading somewhere.

Thanks again.
Matt

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:34 PM

Good to see you headed along the right path. Yup, it can take a while to travel a measurable distance, but just keeping plodding along in the right direction will always result in significant and meaningful progress eventually. ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users