• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie_D

Charlie_D

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys as of today SUNDAY feb 6th. I'm seeing great new SERPS (for me) on google. Did they change one of their algorithms?

Any news to what is happening? My site is showing up all over the place. It seems my optimization may be finally paying off.

Anybody else having favourable results similar?

Charlie

#2 MrCrip

MrCrip

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

Hi Charlie, I agree that something has occurred, a number of sites that I look after have seen some great progress.

It may jut be the hard work on those sites is paying off. Im pleased with what it has brought me.

#3 HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:14 PM

FWIW, I don't think that it's an algo change, I think it's more like their broad algo now applies to more categories.

Right or wrong, I have always believed that certain "money words" have had more gateways to clear (i.e. some sort of filter) before entering the primary ranking portion of the database. It appears that those gateways have changed.

The reason for my speculation is that I have not seen changes across all of the KW's that I track. Then again, it could be that the new algo has not propagated across the entire database or all of the data centers.

P.S. Whatever they did, I'm enjoying the results!

#4 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

It has switched in and out of a new mode since Sunday around 5 times.

I hope it goes with the newer version of results. They certainly assisted my targeted pages.

The results look more like Yahoo's than before.

#5 Adrian

Adrian

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:10 AM

Been some discsussion about Latent Semantic Analysis and this update. Quite a technical discussion on it at SEW. Ammon's mentioned it in another thread here as well.

The Semantic Web would also be another good place to have a look. Note when Ammon started that thread, way back in December 2002 :lol:

#6 Charlie_D

Charlie_D

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:18 AM

Google giveth and google taketh away.

I'll my great positions are gone
Yesterday was like dangling a carrot in front of my face.

Oh Google ................... :bhead:

#7 Hieroweb

Hieroweb

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

It appears that the indexes are changing 2 to 3 times per day. Different times garnish different results. It's as if Google has a rotating index based on the time of day.

#8 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

Someone I am working with wants a specific keyword. One minute there are 118,000 results, from which I do my research, and I think I can get good placement for her. Next day there are 240,000 results. Day after we're at 140,000. I expect to see changes. The 118,000 to 240,000 range surprised me. At 118K there seemed to be more phrases, while at 240K I saw more individual words. When it shot down to 140K the title and H1s seemed to be over-ranked, even above content.

Is anyone else seeing this wiggling?

The more I learn, the bigger my needs. :-)
! --> how do you keep track of changes?

Elizabeth

#9 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

To save your mind Elizabeth I'd probably wait until the dust has settled so to speak. It's a bit hard to get a fix on it while it's still "dancing". :(

#10 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6295 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:23 PM

About a year back (right before "Florida") Googleguy suggested that we would no longer be seeing dances in the way that we were used to them but that we would see things that are similar to a dance (like what we are seeing now). Basically, what these are are major algo changes - usually in the realm of how the DB deals with off page factors.

On page factors can pretty much be done on the fly because every page is truly independant when doing these factors. Off page factors deal with how one page relates to another page be it through a link (going either way), or through common terminology or other "theming" groups and whatnot. These changes are going to take a while because each page in the index is related to many other pages in the index. It's rather like dealing cards face up, seeing what lands on top of each other card, then putting them back into a pile, dealing again, and repeating until you can predict exactly what the next card is going to be by seeing the card played before it. Just as it would take us a while to memorize the order of 52 cards as they moved around in relation to each other, it takes computers a long time to work out a how a billion pages relate to each other.

So, yes, we're seeing a change. Looks to me like it's got something to do with the realm of "authority" and such. We'll know better in a few weeks, though.

G.

#11 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

Wish I was a senior boss at google, so I could point in the right direction....

Sometimes, its not paper qualifications that matter........

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users