22 replies to this topic

#1 xdrone

xdrone

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

hello,
i work on educational affiliate program and have had decent success.
can anyone suggest other types of affiliate programs that have good return?

thanks in advance for any ideas you have!

#2 toddieg

toddieg

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

check out commission junction... it's been pretty successful for me.

also, google adsense :lol:

#3 henryq

henryq

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:21 AM

Yeah, Google Adsense works. Others not so great, unless you have a lot of traffic.

#4 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:21 AM

We've covered this question a few times in the past, so a search of the forums should find you plenty of tips.

The best affiliate programs are the rarer ones that involve companies limited in how they may advertise. You know - the one's that need to put all kinds of legal disclaimers and terms and conditions statements in everything they do. In such cases, the affiliate actually (currently) has an advantage over the company itself.

However, run the keyword and competition reports to know if you've found an unexplored niche, or are just jumping on a bandwagon after a lot of other affiliates have already gotten established.

AdSense can be fine and dandy, but again, you really need an unusual content niche. Its no good being the 28th site someone sees the same Ad on. If they havn't clicked through the ad in the first ten impressions they are hardly likely to now.

#5 morton

morton

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:17 AM

Check shareasale.com. Quite good and works for education offers.

#6 Gilligan

Gilligan

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:16 PM

I would try to find something for a niche market. You can pick from thousands of programs, but I'd try to pick something that I could market to a specific group or geographical location.

#7 vdar

vdar

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:30 AM

Hey, I like promoting ClickBank products. I have a lot of products I can choose from and I only have one program to sign up for. www.clickbank.com

The downside to ClickBank is their lame drill-down Marketplace. It's hard to find products. To remedy that problem I've started using a program called CBengine. www.cbengine.com

There are some other decent ways to find products in the Marketplace. Like www.cbmall.com. He's got a pretty good search, but that site doesn't list ALL ClickBank's products and it's not as 'robust' I guess is the word as the cb engien search.

Be careful signing up for some affilaite programs, especially ones that run their own programs. One, they can easily rip you off, and in my case they actually sold my e-mail address to third-parties. I got so much spam I had close the account. And I know it was them because it was a brand-new email address I used to sign up.

#8 mugshot

mugshot

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

Affiliate programs are nice, but you really need to think in bulk if you want to get involved and make decent $ with affiliate programs. Education is definitely a good industry to get into, but like BK said, check out some niches and figure the best profit you can make from those. Beware of skimming also ;)

Adsense is wonderful if you have the traffic too! Google is currently helping a few people pay for their mortgages through adsense too!

Sup BK!

#9 DianeV

DianeV

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

mugshot, how do you mean "skimming"? Just curious.

#10 mugshot

mugshot

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

In the affiliate circles, there are known cases where the companies don't allocate the appropriate commission to the affiliates. For instance, if you ID is 123, and when a customer clicks on your link?ID=123 ... and redirected to the affilate's website, they "accidentaly" remove your ID from the string and therefore you don't get the sale. In a high volume situation, if you check your log files, you can usually make a good guess if skimming is being done or not. If you have 5,000/month clicks and no conversions or 0.1%, then something is fishy with the affiliate you joined. Just make sure whatever affiliates you join don't steal from you :P

#11 Renee

Renee

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

can anyone suggest other types of affiliate programs that have good return?

Good return depends on how you promote an affiliate product. There's no such thing as a guaranteed "good return."

I just began running affiliate links for the past 4 months and on tracking them, see that I have a much larger clickthrough rate on text links compared to banners. As a test, I run some banners and text links on the same page.

I don't use large banners and even include text below each one. Next in popularity comes product images with descriptive text. However, I did notice that some gourmet food banners seem to get more clickthroughs.

You'll have to run and test which type of links work best for you. You can't just place links on your site and expect results.

The myth that "this product sells itself" is just as true online. Be prepared to do some "preselling" to encourage your readers to click through.

Check the affiliate vendors site beforehand. Go through an entire buying process from the beginning.

Some questions to consider before you sign on:
* Can you easily navigate through their site?
* Can you link to a landing page that's best for your readers?
* Do they also have Google links or their affiliate links to another vendor on their pages? (Yes, some small vendors have chutzpah up the wazoo!)
* Do they track phone and e-mail orders? Many don't, but claim they do.
* Do they have secure online ordering (Verisign, etc.)?
* Is their checkout process smooth?
* Does the vendor offer coupons through a parasite (such as eBates or an online charity site)? This means that once your reader clicks through, doesn't make the purchase but bookmarks the page and returns later, if they have a cookie installed on their computer (either on purpose or accidently) from one of these places, a pop-up with a discount offer will occur and if they click through that, you've lost the sale.
* Do they have coupon deals for your readers only available through their affiliates?

Some of the above aren't deal breakers, but just things to weigh in on your decision to affiliate with a vendor.

Have fun! :D

#12 john928

john928

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:06 AM

I would also recommend ShareASale. I have been with them for a while now and should soon be receiving my second check.

#13 AdamRivard

AdamRivard

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

I have heard alot of positive talk about a clickbank.com. I personally have never used it but I've heard great reviews so it would be worth taking a look into.

#14 john928

john928

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:33 AM

I think ShareASale is alot better than ClickBank. But don't get me wrong as I also think that ClickBank is a good network to use.

#15 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

Does the same go for advertising on Affiliate Programs? I've got a site that I want to promote but am unsure which affiliate program to join, I've seen CJ, LinkShare, Performics, ClixGalore, and ShareaSale.

The upfront costs that ShareASale and ClickBank bother me because I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting for my money.

#16 24x7

24x7

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

i suggest signing up with as many networks and individual programs as possible, so that you can keep updated with what is happening / what the best offers are / what the different networks are paying on the same offers etc.

the top 3 networks are:

- cj / befree
- performics
- linkshare

then come the smaller networks, but still got great reputations (most of the time)

- azoogleads (just raised $25 m VC)
- clickbank (for the download market - software and ebooks)
- sharesale

and then there are hundreds if not thousands of lead gen / cpa type networks. some examples:

- cpaempire
- trafficsynergy
- offerdownline

there are also tons of standalone type programs - amazon etc.

you need to decide whether you are going to go for lead gen type programs, or sales, and also whether you want to promote brands, or whether you are going to promote offers in the niches.

#17 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

I own these two sites www.azbestdeals.com and www.azbestdeal.com for awhile and I am doing nothing with them. I thought I could either try and sale them or do the affiliate program. Before I get busy building an affiliate site I want to know how to best attack it since the name seems linked to Arizona. I guess I could try and twist it to A to Z deals. I just do not know. Any thoughts?

Would I build it like a blog with these links built in and run on the site or bottom google ads?

#18 jocelyn

jocelyn

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Could be A to Z Best deals... not necessarely Arizona...

#19 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thank you,

Could be A to Z Best deals... not necessarely Arizona...

#20 jocelyn

jocelyn

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Lol... I should have said it did sound more as A to Z to me... but I'm not in the states, so the AZ abbreviation didn't hit me first.
Ads don't give much... specially compared to 3-4 years ago. But if you have tons of content, it can work.

#21 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4390 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

ebay affiliate? Some cunning way to index items just in arizona? use the geo feature to give items in X miles of major cities?

#22 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3803 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, I'd go with the Arizona angle. I'd make it into a travel site of some sort - though try to make it as niche as possible - and get travel related affilate deals as well as various affiliate products that come from Arizona. Should be lots to choose from. Arizona has some nice touristy areas - some awesome artsy towns - some cool native American products - probably some interesting "adventure" type activities - maybe some shamanistic healing stuff - all kinds of things that Arizona might offer that you could write about and get some affiliate income from.

I'd stay away from general travel and try to find the more interesting niches within the travel industry of Arizona.

#23 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4609 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

What Donna said :)
Unless you have enormous resources going general as in A to Z best whatzits will simply be so broad and shallow that it will probably never show on anyone's radar especially the SEs. For most webdev efforts finding an appropriate niche or sub-niche allows specificity and depth. Given the increasing emphasis given to 'local' being a big frog in a small pool can be much more rewarding than a minuscule frog in the general web.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users