• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

There is particular page that ranks in the 10th place. I'd rather that it be in the 11th place. What elements of the page would you suggest tweaking for this?

#2 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:25 PM

Space your keywords apart a bit.

So if your keywords are "Canadian Holidays and Tourism"

Try "Canadian Scenic Holidays and Adventure Tourism"

Sometimes, that has the opposite effect, but I find it to be a nice way of moving things around by small amounts.

#3 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:34 PM

Might be helpful to discussion if you could post a link to the page you're talking about. Specifics, in my experience, help more than generalities and allow other members to offer more focused advice.

Personally, I'm not aware of any one technique that could move your rankings with such precision.

#4 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:45 PM

The difference between 10th and 11th place is something so miniscule, I don't think you could control it. It's also got two directions it can go. (I'd rather take on a challenge to get a site to rank #1 than to have it rank for any other specific number - even something like 89th - it just boggles my mind to consider such a feat).

Wait a week or two without doing anything. You won't be 10th anymore.

G.

#5 Guest_rustybrick_*

Guest_rustybrick_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

Or throw up a new page to go in page 10's place. Of course on a different site.

It works the same way as if you wanted to move down "negative" results for a brand name. You need to bump them down with results that are more relevant.

Throw more links to the page that ranks #11 and it can jump above yours.

#6 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:51 AM

What an intriguing question, whitemark. :?

How can I be a little bit "worse"? You're assuming that most people stay with the default in their Google preferences of looking at only 10 results. Mine is set at 100. I don't often even "go below the fold" so I might not see you even at the 10th position. However I set it like that when I'm looking for a client's website. I'll search for some appropriate keyword and use the search function (say <CONTROL><F>) to check whether they are there. So I wouldn't likely see either the 10th or the 11th results.

In fact that's only the secondary issue. The more fundamental point is the one raised by Grumpus and others. It's that important quote from over 2500 years ago. Heraclitus said, "You can't jump into the same river twice". Everything changes. I guess I feel, whitemark, you should have asked the same question everyone else asks. How do I get to be number 1? :)

#7 James

James

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2104 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:33 AM

I have to admit it's an odd request. To be honest, I'd suggest that rather than try and lose ranking, you work at improving ranking to get within the first 5 or 6 results. As Grumpus mentions, there may be a knife-edge that's keeping you at position 10, one minor 'negative' tweak could see the page at position 100, and then no-one would see it.

#8 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:51 AM

Yes. Yes. Of all the potential goals for you to be able to shoot for here, the easiest goal to attain will be "get me above the fold on page 1" (i.e. Come in somewhere in the top 5 or so).

G.

#9 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:26 AM

This particular page also ranks in the top 3 for 2 important keywords. It ranked 10th 'naturally' for a keyword that I wasn't even aware of. Though the keyword isn't important in the overall scope of the site, the extra traffic might help (to increase brand recognition). Under these circumstances, if I try to rank high for this minor keyword, the relevancy of the the 2 important keywords for the page could get affected.

Hence the idea to downgrade ranking of the minor keyword:
- to the 11th rank to get more traffic.
- to increase the relevancy of the important keyword so that they rank higher (or atleast consistently).

... it makes for an interesting topic. :)

#10 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

Yes, it is interesting.

if I try to rank high for this minor keyword, the relevancy of the the 2 important keywords for the page could get affected.

That seems like a possibility. I assume you mean adversely affected. Is it also possible that it could be positively affected? I don't know, but I'm struggling to understand why you're assuming the negative scenario will happen.

Hence the idea to downgrade ranking of the minor keyword: 
- to the 11th rank to get more traffic.

That statement seems to contradict itself. How will going lower in the rankings, 'increase' your traffic. One would naturally assume the opposite. Or, are you 'theorizing' that by pushing the 10th page down, the higher ranking pages will go up? If so, why?

#11 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:57 PM

No, Garrick - he's saying he'd rather be first on the second page, than last on the first page. I probably would too.

Whitemark - if you were to link to the page from another page and put the 10th ranking keyword in the anchor, it'd improve the ranking of the page for that keyword without diminishing the effect of the other keywords. Just how much would depend upon the power and relevance of the linking page, but it'd help it to rank better.

Finally, if you really really really want to knock it down one slot, put the keyword you want to lower yourself for here in this thread and wait for Cre8 to get ahead of you in the SERPs. ;) Just kiddin'.

G.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users