• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas

Nicholas

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 09:14 PM

I submitted my link to DMOZ and it was rejected because there already is a company that aparently is associated with our site AXNmls. The company that is associated with us is AXNrealty which is completely different from AXNmls. AXNrealty is a realtor whom has his own properties however is owned by the same family thus the similar name. AXNrealty is a member of AXNmls and has all his listings with us, but AXNrealty is not favored over anyone else. AXNmls provides it's service to anyone in the country plus has many benificial features that helps people searching for real estate in Costa Rica.

I would like to know who I can contact in regards to this matter.

The person in charge of that category is affiliated with the Real Estate market in Costa Rica and I am under the asumption that he is only allowing people he knows into the category.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

I have already been to resource-zone and got no where.

Thanks in Advance

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:56 AM

Hi Nicholas,

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties.

There appears to be a (very) new reporting process in place if you are having problems with an editor, and you believe that person is abusing the system.

A write up of the new system recently appeared on the Pandia site:

The Open Directory introduces abuse report system
http://www.pandia.co...003/20-odp.html

Make sure that you read the FAQ about reporting abuse before you file your report. It's at:

http://inelegant.org...-abuse/faq.html

They list very clearly what they consider to be abuse.

They also give a detailed list of the types of things that they would like to see included in the report.

The more information that you can provide to them which they ask for in the FAQ, the better.

The report form is here:

http://inelegant.org/report-abuse/

I think that I'd probably recommend to anyone to try to go through the resource zone first, if they have problems. You've done that. If you follow this method, please let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks.

#3 kctipton

kctipton

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:38 AM

If you stick to issues mentioned in that FAQ, an abuse report will be taken seriously.

#4 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:51 AM

Hi kctipton,

Thanks, and welcome to the forums. :wave:

The reporting system seems like a really good addition to the Open Directory.

From what I've read, it's still in the testing stages, but it makes a lot of sense to try it out, and if it needs some tweaking and changing to work well, that option is available.

I think the FAQ spells everything out pretty well, but if you have any thing to add about the reporting process, or about submissions in general to the Directory, they're more than welcome.

Again, thanks.

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 10:08 AM

Hey, long time no see, kctipton, welcome to Cre8asite :wave:

#6 Nicholas

Nicholas

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 05:35 PM

Hi kctipton,

You are an editor at DMOZ no? I believe I have seen your post at the resource-zone.

I appreciate the help. I heard back from the editor after e-mailing him via the correct route. He explained the situation and I understand why you guys will not add the site.

From what I understand a site that is already in DMOZ with links to a site that is being added or that provides services for a site that is already listed it will not be accepted. I was told to simply remove the other link from the directory and he would be happy to add the link there.

The only thing that bothers the editors is that the domain is registered to the same person. So it appears like we are attempting to submit multiple urls that are cross linking to each other. This is not how we feel because one site is for a real estate company (agent) and the other site is for all the agents in Costa Rica. My only question is if one of our clients at AXNmls try's to add their site to one of the provincial categories will they be accepted? I assume so because this is already the case with other sites in the same category. Just want to make sure that we are not getting pushed around. I guess my original post that he may be providing services to benifit him-self and his coleagues is not correct after the response that I received from him.

Appreciate your posts everyone and thanks for the help. Glad to see DMOZ is taking the proper actions to make sure that no abuse is taking place on the editors part.

Thank You all

#7 Dynamoo

Dynamoo

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:21 AM

Hi Nicholas,

ODP editors sometimes refer to the "toxic spam pile" that exists in some categories, which tend to get clogged up with duplicates, mirrors and affiliates. It *is* possible to look at the similar domain names, topics and owners and come to an assumption that this was another case of spam (I'm not saying that it is, I'm just looking at it from the editor point of view).

I seem to recall that real estate is one of those spammy categories, so it could well be a case of editor confusion rather than editor abuse. I haven't looked at the sites in question, but of course the editor may also have a valid point.

#8 Andy

Andy

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:52 AM

Have you seen this:

http://dmoz.theblob....1054080462.html

:P

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users