Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

WARNING - watch how you type Google.com....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:11 AM

Firstly, apologies if you see this more than once - I'm only posting it to each forum I'm a member of ONCE, but I will be posting it to fairly large number of forums...

A web site preying on those that mis-type web addresses has targeted Google.com with a site that attempts to infest your PC with multiple browser hijackers...

Just be careful how you type google.com and hit return... more information from f-Secure on the problem here...

http://www.f-secure....s/googkle.shtml

Do NOT visit the Googkle.com site unless you are supremely confident in your Anti-virus/Anti-Trojan setup!!

Here's why ..... this is one nasty site - it has at least 4 trojan/hijackers that I found in a very cursory scan of the HTML - all of which appeared to be blocked by my hosts file, let alone NOD32.

Nothing managed to get through my hosts file to the NOD32 I run - although without a very extensive hosts file, I'm sure they would have...

I'm sure a more qualified security expert can provide a more in-depth analysis, and although I'm no expert, I can see that this site has the potential to be nailing many, many, MANY googlers with finger trouble!

The site itself is hosted on an EV1.net (Houston, TX) IP address and is registered to someone out of St. Petersburg in Russia... if anyone knows someone at EV1.net, it might be worth sending them a quick email... who knows.. it might (should) get pulled for a while....

http://www.whois.sc/googkle.com

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1931 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

I had a quick look at it.

Inside the html it seems to be oriented to IE and all its problems.

Easy solution to that. Get another browser.

#3 webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

perhaps the savvy webmaster already has opera/mozilla or some other browser as their default - but what do you think most of the world uses?

I for one don't use exploder as a default browser, but as a web developer, I'm ALWAYS checking sites with it.... whether it affects you or not, this is an insidious site, and forewarned is fore-armed....

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users