• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

"Does Google have a strategy, or are we just a bunch of mad computer scientists running around building whatever we want? Today this question gets an answer: we've launched our personalized homepage via Google Labs. It's part of a strategic initiative we refer to as 'fusion' to bring together Google functionality, and content from across the web, in useful ways ..."

[Excerpts from: Google Blog - A method to our madness]

If you have a Google account, you get to personalise the Google homepage.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:03 AM

I tried it out, and it's interesting.

There seems to be a certain irony here.

As Yahoo! starts becoming more like google:

http://search.yahoo.com/

Google starts becoming more and more like yahoo!, looking like a portal site with these additions.

I'm now seeing news from the NYTimes, BBC, Googlenews, slashdot, and wired. Movies and weather are "temprarily unavailable" but I expect to be able to see them at some point. I also have some quotes of the day, and a word of the day.

#3 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

As Yahoo! starts becoming more like google ... Google starts becoming more and more like yahoo ...

Yes, the evolution of both companies is certainly very, very interesting. One thing though, unlike Yahoo, Google doesn't seem to be going in for content creation but just syndicating what exists. Guess it chimes in with their goal of organising the world's information.

I was attracted to it because of Gmail - a peek into my inbox is nearly 5 times faster through it than the 250+ Kb Gmail Ajax interface (I don't use the Gmail notifier). The quote and word of the day is also pretty cool. However, I don't like the links / excerpts news type approach to reading feeds. Prefer full content delivery and am hoping Gmail adds an RSS reader soon.

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:19 AM

Very interesting ...

I can't get the weather, since it asks for a zip code and a Canadian postal code didn't seem to hack it. :)

#5 lorenbaker

lorenbaker

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

"Google starts becoming more and more like yahoo!, looking like a portal site with these additions."

Yeah, more and more like Yahoo from 1998.

#6 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

Site evolution of Yahoo -
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.

Site evolution of Google -
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.

#7 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

One thing though, unlike Yahoo, Google doesn't seem to be going in for content creation but just syndicating what exists.

Yup. Isn't it ironic that the same company combatting scraper sites is becoming the most efficient scraping site itself? :)

#8 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:20 PM

A slightly different version of personalized Google:

http://www.customizegoogle.com/

While it requires Firefox and Greasemonkey, it also offers considerably more functionality than Google's new personalization features.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users