• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tyler_durden

tyler_durden

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

I'm trying to figure out a color scheme for my muscle car website i'm building. I believe the psychology of blue shows power, but blue is not a major color for muscle cars. Earth tone colors seem to be the dominant colors. Any suggestions?

#2 Black_Phoenix

Black_Phoenix

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1269 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

Hi, I'm thinking black, silver and red...

what colours are the majority of Muscle cars ?

bp

#3 DCrx

DCrx

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1270 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

Another question might be what are the colors of popular muscle car sites?

#4 tyler_durden

tyler_durden

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:51 PM

That's one of the problems. I don't think any of the popular muscle car sites are catchy at all, but most do use blue and black. Does silver/chrome/gray go with blue and black? I may play around with that... The red/silver/black Black_Phoenix mentioned may be cool also. When I think of muscle car colors I think of earth tone colors like tan, brown, orange, and olive green. But those are my favorite colors for these cars, so i'm probably biased.

#5 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

If all the othersites are blue/black I'd go for something different.

Are muscle cars fast? Statistics show red cars are stolen more and booked more often for speeding. For fast cars I'd go with a scheme including red - think Ferrari. If they're more a car that uses dirt tracks and the like adding earthy colours would work.

#6 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

To represent power, Red and Orange. But you'll need to choose the shades carefully ... Red symbolizes passion, fire, energy, aggression etc (You need to have these qualities to handle power, right?)

A superb resource for color can be found at colormatters.com.

#7 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3316 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

tyler_durden,

I believe muscle cars are from 1962-1970/71.

Here is Muscle Car Museum in case you're interested.

Most of the classic or muscle car sites are red, black, silver, chrome and white.
Here is one that has pale yellow with a brown grey background and red font, which is a little different and the banner photos are in sepia. I liked it. Ignore ad colors:
Serious Wheels

D

#8 tyler_durden

tyler_durden

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I should have given a quick definition of a muscle car. They're considered mostly built between 1965 and 1971/2, and they have the BIG V8 engines crammed into the typical medium sized frame. So it's a lot of power in a smaller vehicle, but they're technically not sports car styles with the curves and all (the corvettes of that time would not be considered a muscle car). Hope that makes it clearer.

With that said, I think i'm going to try to use more earth tone colors, and use orange/red just enough to spice it up...

thanks for the input

#9 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

Before becoming the father of four with a serious company day job, my uncle was the drummer for a band that drove all over the country for gigs. He owned a series or Corvettes that were garaged while on tour. Oh, how he loved coming home to those cars!

I remember two best of all - bright orange, and then bright yellow, and I do mean bright. I think there was also something in black and lipstick/candy-apple red. The yellow one was around longest. As I recall they all had black leather bucket seats.

In his hands, Corvette's color and shape exuded an air of independence and confidence.

He liked the low, even rumble, in combination with a sleek shape and unexpected color. He wanted them glossy and flawless and very, very clean. He loved driving on a clear day - no water spots. When he got married his wife wanted to get things done even when it was pouring down rain. Eventually they needed a place for groceries and car seats. :-)

If I was designing a muscle car site, I'd test drive ideas that are glossy, flawless and very, very clean, with content areas differentiated by accents in different lipstick-intensity colors that were common to cars of the era.

Remember that many of the original drivers of these cars are 50-60 years old by now and will appreciate fonts that are easy to read. The need for straightforward useability may be heightened because they are of a generation that did not grow up with computers and Internet. AND, lol, this is a good time for muscle car sites with appeal to that demographic because the kids are about out of college and the house is paid for... :lol: Mmmmm...

Elizabeth

#10 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

I've been musing about muscle cars since first reading this thread. Today I recycle and I buy recycled, but when I got my first car it was a slighjtly crunched early 70's Camaro with a monster V-8 engine. "Bear" (name of car) was dark maroon with a wide white racing stripe and black bucket seats. Starsky and Hutch could have driven it, and Daisy Duke's squad could have been comfortable rebuilding it. I put pillows in the seats to level them out so I could use it to deliver desserts from my baking business. When I die one of the images I want to flash before my eyes is yours truly extracting a wedding cake from the front seat. If cars could only talk!

Sometimes when I went to the parts shop to get an oil filter the guy behind the counter would ask me to repeat the engine size once again with feeling - and not because he didn't hear it the first time. ;-)

Fix the stereo (lol) and that lovely maroon beast would live quite happily in an earth toned site. If was a force of nature.

Elizabeth

#11 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3316 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

Remember that many of the original drivers of these cars are 50-60 years old by now and will appreciate fonts that are easy to read. The need for straightforward useability may be heightened because they are of a generation that did not grow up with computers and Internet. AND, lol, this is a good time for muscle car sites with appeal to that demographic because the kids are about out of college and the house is paid for.

Elizabeth you are so astute. It's all very true. My house isn't paid for yet but the rest is true for my husband and I. He has a 56 Chevy all souped up with I don't know what but he WON"T drive it in the rain. He has his own $ so I do'nt ask him how much he has in it. :cry: I am just happy that he gets a lot of joy fixing it up and showing it.

Whenever we go to car shows in Northern Calif, all I see is gray hair!!!!!
Us 60 year olds have the money to invest in these cars by now and they are darn well convinced that they must have their first car again before they die.

To the point, I just wanted to say that you are right on Elizabeth as far as whom to market to and to keep the font BIG!!
Ha, ha,
Donna

#12 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:15 AM

Mate,

Red Yellow White and a little bit of Black. The use of black is important.

The cars (which come in all colours) can be put on a white background.

Have a look at an Australian Muscle Car page. Big chunky HQ Holdens appear to be the modus operandi of the young adolescent male component of this island.

http://carpoint.nine...pointau&ID=5614

I must say, these sites are hard to find with good examples In Australia.

Elizabeth,

Where else would you find such deep and life changing viewpoints into your target market? I'm moved. You should write novels, not websites.

#13 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

I'm guessing there is a club - do they have a magazine? Good place to find inspiration for colours/styles. You could also try getting some photos that are 'typical' of the colours/cars and using an eye-dropper to pull colours off them.

While your at it I'd make a note of any shapes that could be echoed in the site design.

Tam

#14 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

Tam/Tyler - There are car shows and car clubs all over the place. There's a club near me that meets weekly for coffee and carburator tales. I'll bet a quick take on color could be had by calling a place that sells classic cars - either they'd know, or they'd know of clubs that would.

LOL Donna - If I win the lottery "Bear II" may be out there somewhere.

Elizabeth,

Where else would you find such deep and life changing viewpoints into your target market? I'm moved. You should write novels, not websites.

Ohhh, ya got me. What's next, the "consultant" word? ;-) I could dig it. :)

Elizabeth

p.s. No muscle car haiku, I promise

#15 PCarahan

PCarahan

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:55 AM

I believe orange symbolizes power and strength. Generally, sports cars come in either red, yellow, or black.

#16 ktcleo

ktcleo

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

I would make the colour of the site quite muted so that the images of the cars are really highlighted and jump out of the page.

If you go with a yellow site and then alot of your images of the cars are yellow they will tend to blend in.

#17 tyler_durden

tyler_durden

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

Alright, here is a sample layout with the CMS I plan to use. I have changed the colors to some earthtone colors, but it looks more like the 'filling' of a baby's diaper. I have NO artistic/color abilities, and I am stuck here. I would like to use more black, maroon, and/or orange. I read recently that men are attracted to darker colors and straight lines (men will probably make up 90%+ of my users) .

If anyone would want to take a few minutes and give some feedback, color schemes, or even photoshop a few color samples over what is there now it'd be GREATLY appreciated. I can't really move onto other parts until I get this sorted out.

Some notes on the #'s...
1) My logo will be here (No clue as to what yet - I will probably coordinate with the color scheme I choose)

2) This is just a quick throw together, but this will be a bunch of grills from famous muscle cars going across the top, blended in Photoshop with the primary color of my site, or just toned down/greyed so it's not so colorful.

3) These box headers are all one color

4) The interior box colors

5) The outside color (Not in main text area). Is this too much to have colorad as well? Should it just be white, or maybe a darker color?

#18 Jonny

Jonny

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:12 AM

Curious....what CMS are you using?

#19 tyler_durden

tyler_durden

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

I'm using Dragonfly. I tested a few out, and I liked this one the most because of it's options (User image gallery, etc). I think i'm going towards a color scheme of black, red, blue, and chrome/silver. I spent 2 days playing with the earth tone colors, and it just doesn't work well. I will post another pic once I get a scheme working on the right track...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users