http://www.google.com/blogsearch

Full write up at SEW main and blog.

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:15 AM

I'd also mentioned another source in the Blogs, RSS and Syndication Forum.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13638 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

Nifty. Simple UI, easy as heck to use :)

#4 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:53 AM

As pointed out before on cre8asiteforums, it was only a matter of time before one of the big boys would jump in and get a blog search engine of the ground.

I find it interesting that despite speculation about SE's being able to guess/determine what a site might be, by looking at its fingerprints for instance, the main game seems to be the presence of a feed, pinging, or manual submission:

4. Which blogs are included in Blog Search?

The goal of Blog Search is to include every blog that publishes a site feed (either RSS or Atom). It is not restricted to Blogger blogs, or blogs from any other service.

5. How do I get my blog listed?

If your blog publishes a site feed in any format and automatically pings an updating service (such as Weblogs.com), we should be able to find and list it. Also, we will soon be providing a form that you can use to manually add your blog to our index, in case we haven't picked it up automatically. Stay tuned for more information on this.

#5 Adrian

Adrian

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

I'm amused at the comments along the lines of "Is this the end for Technorati etc...". Erm, even in it's primary field of general web search Google has competitors, Yahoo! and MSN search are hardly on their death beds, why should this signal the end of other blog search engines.

Can't say I've ever found a use for blog search personally, don't really get all the hype about it, I have a long list of feeds in bloglines that tend to keep me up to date with the things I'm interested in.

#6 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:37 AM

I think this is to an extent linked to the whole "long tail" principle. Different people have different ways they prefer to get at things so you've got to make sure you cover all the bases, whichever way you can.

Like you, Adrian, I use rss newsfeeds as my only way of staying on top of things. If someone out there doesn't think it's important to blog about, then I don't need to know about it. However if you know something is in a blog and want to find it, most other search vehicles for blogs don't do too well. Bloglines, for example, is notoriously bad. So on the rare occasions when I know I want to search only blogs, this new Google search is very useful.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users