Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Navigation and International Differences?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:46 PM

I was reading something somewhere and it triggered this question, which I thought we could have some fun with (I hope!)

Does anyone know if people navigate sites differently from country to country? For example, do the habits of US site visitors differ from those from the UK or India?

This may tie into reading left to right, and the fact that in some countries, reading starts on the right first. This is taken into consideration with banner ads sometimes.

I was wondering things like does everyone click on "About Us" or is it something done more frequently by some cultures vs others?

Do certain areas go after the search box or sitemap first, while people from other cultures tend to like to click around and take the scenic route around a site?

Please ask your friends and co-workers too. It would be interesting to share our observations or any tests some of you may have already performed...or articles you're aware of that address this.

Kim

#2 James

James

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2104 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:51 PM

If you like Kim, I can ask in a future Site-Reporters survey. If you have any specific questions, please ask them here and I'll be able to get up to 1000 replies! :wink:

Kind Regards,
James

#3 peter_d

peter_d

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1914 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:55 PM

Have you got ClickTracks Kim? You could tag visitors based on IP range and see if any patterns emerge.

#4 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:00 PM

Are you using ClickTracks, Peter? I saw Kim's post and am interested.

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

Have you got ClickTracks Kim?

I balked at it when I saw the price and my ISP needed to write a cron-job so I could use it, but Ammon says I can simply use their JavaScript oriented version, which is cheaper and less hassle.

I did wonder if the JS would mess with SEO though, so I didn't follow up on that suggestion.

But, indeed, because of what ClickTracks can do, it's an excellent suggestion to anyone to try! (They also released a new version today.)

James, great idea. How would that work? Do you want to PM me or is it something you do on your site that we can all benefit from knowing more about?

The whole area of culture and human response fascinates me. Hope we find some interesting data and/or info, eh?

Kim

#6 peter_d

peter_d

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1914 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

Yes. I'm actually beginning to wonder how I did without it....

#7 peter_d

peter_d

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1914 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:10 PM

I did wonder if the JS would mess with SEO though, so I didn't follow up on that suggestion. 

Didn't seem to affect my site (when I was using the hosted version).

#8 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:11 PM

Peter, which version are you using?

#9 peter_d

peter_d

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1914 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:12 PM

The desktop version.

#10 James

James

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2104 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:14 PM

Kim,

Simply post the questions here or PM me (anything you are interested in re web use/SEO etc/SE usage/usability), I don't mind. I'll build up a little hosted survey (multiple choice) and then send it out to the site-reporters (the proper hosted survey can be published by clients and they can publish to their own visitors).

The results will be published and I'll post the URL back here in a week or so. I may also interpret the responses and provide that as content at the SR client site.

Regards,
James

#11 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:15 PM

Ah, the Analyzer; that's the one I was interested in. Thanks.

#12 peter_d

peter_d

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1914 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:22 PM

To find out the answer to Kim's problem you'd simply need to:

a) tag visitors based on IP
B) grab a few weeks worth of data

You'd have your answer based on actual user interaction. It would take 5 minutes.

#13 James

James

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2104 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:25 PM

In fact, I am doing just that on my logs with ClickTracks as we speak. Don't hold you breath though!! :wink:

#14 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:52 PM

Fascinating topic kim. And we have a program we can use to test it out. I'm looking at the hosted version for a few clients too.

I mostly deal with western countries and so far I'd say the navigation is pretty similar to the US. I wonder whether we look at shipping and delivery information (if it's relevant) more often as so many times you're almost through an order to find out they don't ship outside the US. Happened to hubby yesterday and he was steaming. :mad:

#15 ad

ad

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:13 AM

Hi

Very interesting and useful subject to study given the fact that the same website is accessible across the world. And people from different cultures react and behave differently.

At a very broad level, if you split Internet users into categories based on usage e.g. newbie vs power user, home user vs office user, then the fundamental behaviour generally remains the same.

There are however variations in the consumption patterns.

An interesting example: I would hazard a guess that American news sites like CNN, New York Times, etc. have more visitors from the US than outside the US. In India, most of the Indian news sites have more visitors from outside India (essentially expatriates) than from India.

There's a significant bulge of users in the age groups 15-35 as compared to 35 years above. Hence most content is usually targeted at the youth - contests, games, e-promotions, careers, etc.

Over the years, work and education related usage has gone up significantly. There is a distinct shift from the primarily chat room oriented crowd.

And a big problem with e-promotions is that while your ads get decent exposure, you get a very high share of curious passer bys who clicked on the ad link simply out of curiosity and fun.

cheers, Anannya

#16 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 11:00 AM

Phooey! I was hoping to find a white paper or report or something on this so I typed "Navigation and International Differences" into Google.

This thread came up number 1!!!

:shock:

Kim

#17 James

James

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2104 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 11:08 AM

D'oh!! We'd better start writing something useful for other visitors who are looking for the same information then!!

Any volunteers??! :wink:

#18 wanderer

wanderer

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:46 PM

What kind of differences were you thinking of? Would it be possible to get the kind of info you are looking for via survey questions? If so, why not run a survey here? There are members from many countries who all (hopefully :wink: ) have friends and colleagues they could ask to participate. Ask for participants who range from "once-in-a-while" users to experienced users. You could probably get a pretty good cross-section.

Then you could write the white paper...

#19 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:24 AM

Then you could write the white paper...

Survey...white paper...ok, good ideas! Will see what I can come up :P

Kim

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic