• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gzlatin

gzlatin

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:36 PM

I have some clients that feel that they would rather reciprocate links with a site than purchase a one way link. Naturally I understand the impulse not to pay for a link when you can get one for free but does anyone know of any references or resources that I can show my clients that supports my claim that the one way links are A LOT more valuable?

#2 Cameron Olthuis

Cameron Olthuis

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

I'd rather do none of the above.

Traditional link purchasing isn't likely to help you natural SEO. They should be thought of  as a way of bringing in traffic from the link, not increase your ranks. If you want purchased links to help with SEO you need to get creative.

Depending on how you reciprocate links they may or may not help as well. Stay away from link exchanges, trading links with every tom dick and sally, link farms, and trading links that wouldn't benefit the users of either site. If you want to trade links with relevant related sites that's fine. But trading sites with a Cash Advance company when you're selling flowers isn't going to help.

The new buzz word for linking these days is "LinkBait". This just pretty much means doing things that will attract natural links. If you can get them, natural links are the way to go.

#3 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

The reason they would rather reciprocate than buy them is money.

Paid links from Business.com and Yahoo.com can be very beneficial to your ranking, especially long term, so you need to be able to demonstrate the benefits of a listing in the larger directories.

In the vast majority of cases, Google does not know whether you paid for a link or not.

Here is my argument for why reciprocal links are less useful. If everybody on the planet reciprocated links with each other, lets say there were 10 million websites, and they each had 9,999,999 outbound links, then no-one would distinguish themselves from the pack.

The people who do distinguish themselves from the pack do so using one way links, purchased or non-purchased.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users