Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Would you subscribe or read a print SEO pub?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13459 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

I got a press release about a new print magazine for SEO/M's called Search Marketing Standard (see blog enry at SERound - New Magazine for Search Engine Marketers called Search Marketing Standard

I like glossy pages and in-depth articles myself, but these days, I rarely subscribe to print pubs due to blogs and RSS Feeds. Even with a free subscription offer, I'm still looking for a really really good reason to subscribe.

Do SEO's want a magazine for their industry? Would they read it? Write for it?

#2 lorenbaker

lorenbaker

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:11 PM

I'm sure it will be great toilet reading (as long as the mag isn't littered with GenieKnows ads) as that is one room of the apartment where the laptop is not allowed.

Current toilet search mags include Business 2.0 and Revenue.

As for writing for Search Marketing Standard, yes, contributing would be fun.

Edited by lorenbaker, 26 January 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13459 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

I'm sure it will be great toilet reading (snip)

As for writing for Search Marketing Standard, yes, contributing would be fun.

View Post

I like to read print when my head can no longer stand the site of a computer or the TV monitor. Sheer rebellion occurs sometimes.

Writing for it, if it develops a keen reputation, is a definite. Consider Seth Godin, who writes for FAST magazine (or used to. I dropped my subscription. Great magazine though.)

Nice to see you Loren! :lol:

#4 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

I'm looking forward to it. We need some offline media in this industry :lol:

#5 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

Yes, why not? But it has to provide unique information and not stuff inspired from blogs or forums that we read everyday.

#6 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the link Cre8pc. I'm signing up for it to check it out. Anyone can email me to inquire if its any good. The first issue gets sent out in June.

Do you know if the next highrankings seminar is in Colorado or California? And are you and Bill planning to attend?

Michael 'ghost stories' Rock

#7 Brett_Tabke

Brett_Tabke

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hi!

There was another mag a couple years ago called Ballyhoo by Troy (payperclickanalyst) Perkins. It was pretty interesting, but they ran out of money before the 4(th) issue.

I think this one has a shot of making it.

-bt

Edited by Brett_Tabke, 26 January 2006 - 02:01 PM.

#8 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hello

My name is Andrey Milyan and I am an editor in chief at Search Marketing Standard. One of my colleagues pointed out this thread and I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself.

We are definitely looking forward to getting interesting contributions from you guys; this will make this magazine a better read for both the experts and all the people marketing their websites with search engines.

I'm sure it will be great toilet reading (as long as the mag isn't littered with GenieKnows ads) as that is one room of the apartment where the laptop is not allowed.

Current toilet search mags include Business 2.0 and Revenue.

It would mean a lot to me personally if our magazine could make it into your toilet reading list, side by side with Business 2.0 and Revenue ;-)

If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, ideas, please feel to contact me directly at andrey@smstandard.com. I'll be happy to answer all of your emails.

Edited by Andrey@SMS, 26 January 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#9 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13459 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:32 PM

Do you know if the next highrankings seminar is in Colorado or California?

Woodland Hills, California for March 30 and 31, 2006

Info on it is due out this week

Brett, welcome to the forums! :wave: :wave: Usually we hand out only one waving smiley thingy, but I thought you should get at least two :)

Andrey, we're a tough crowd aren't we? I do wish the magazine success. Seeing glossy pages with pictures with top notch reporting would be a real treat after years and years of list servs, groups, forums, emails, blogs, RSS, and more forums.

Welcome to the forums Andrey :wave:.

#10 searchrank

searchrank

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:38 PM

Even with a free subscription offer, I'm still looking for a really really good reason to subscribe.

Well you certainly don't lose anything if it is free... even if you don't read it. :)

I look forward to getting it and wouldn't mind writing for it as well. Could bring good press.

#11 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:49 PM

I'm excited about it. I love magazines, especially trade mags, and this is the first opportunity to have one for our industry delivered to me. I hope it is as good as it sounds, but even if it sucks, that will be kinda fun too. :)

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

I read revenue - more in print than if i read it online... because i need a little time away from the computer and in a comfotable reading chair or to read in the car. I am tired of looking at the monitor sometimes.

#13 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

They were smart to choose the name "The Search Marketing Standard."

It's flexible and implies quality.
SEO is too narrow on its own.

#14 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

Personally, I never liked the term "Search Marketing". For people who aren't in the industry, I don't think they would understand. Search Engine Marketing is the term that we should use.

#15 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

I know I would prefer a magazine or old fashioned book myself. Something comfy about it.

Another thing, even with the contrast turned down, my eyes get buggy after 12 or 16 hours of work.

#16 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

They were smart to choose the name "The Search Marketing Standard."

It's flexible and implies quality.
SEO is too narrow on its own.

View Post

We will be covering anything and everything related to SEM including SEO and PPC. Our goal is to make complex information understandable to general advertiser. I have worked as a marketing consultant and I know how difficult it is to work with a client that has absolutely no idea what you are talking about in terms of his marketing campaigns. Here at Search Marketing Standard, we hope to make SEM process easy to digest which puts the client back in control and makes it easier for consultants to work with clients.

#17 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:59 PM

Sounds like you're going to come up with something very interesting. You seem to be very motivated. Good luck!

#18 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

Sounds like you're going to come up with something very interesting. You seem to be very motivated. Good luck!

View Post

Thank you. We try our best :)

#19 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

Andrey, if you need anything let me know. I've got your back*!

One of the major problems SEO faces is the offline world has no idea what we do. Hopefully a printed mag will help with that while showing our value.

I posted a tip at Donna's site about having trade mags laying around when meeting customers. It makes you look professional and that you keep up.

People trust paper more than pixels.

As far as this one goes I signed up. I'm eagerly looking forward to it.

A couple observations... Most SEO tips and tactics have less than a 6 month shelf life (the basics remain the same but how they're applied changes frequently). How are you going to address that with only 4 issues per year?

And the price of ads seems a touch high to me based on projections. It's been a while since I worked that side of the street so maybe I'm off...

Anyway, best of luck!

*provided the magazine doesn't suck. :P

#20 lorenbaker

lorenbaker

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

Besides having reading material away from the monitor, here are some other reasons I'm happy to see a new SEM print mag:

* When reading in public places I've actually had people ask me about search, Internet marketing - for some, seeing it in print simplifies and legitimizes it.

* Cutting out an article and sending a copy to brick & mortar clients is much more powerful than sending a link.

* When having clients or prospects in for a meeting, them seeing relevant reading material in the reception area makes them feel that they are in the hands of professionals and not just a bunch of johny-come-lately's reading Sports Illustrated and Maxim.

#21 sanity

sanity

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

It sounds interesting. I do wonder how timely it will be seeing it's quarterly...

#22 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Well, it looked good to me - so I signed up :)

It'll be interesting to see what content, and how they treat the content.

As was talked about earlier, I think - SEO etc has always been only on the internet. Will my attention factor be more grabbed than from the zillions of emails, webforums, SEO blogs, websites etc.....?

#23 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

I signed up.
Yes, I just gave a previously unknown commercial entity my real name and address and email address, all in one fell swoop. :)

E

#24 nicncher

nicncher

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

Hi Everyone,

I got the same email launching the Search Marketing Standard offline magazine. I have to admit I was a wee bit put off by the offer as I am in the UK and therefore don't qualify for the free subscription. On the up side, I can subscribe for the regular price! The offer also made me second guess the content of the magazine because if it is a magazine about online marketing then surely their own marketing expertise would tell them that I am not in their target audience for this offer?

Regardless, I think it's an offline SEM magazine will fill a void. Looking forward to hearing some reviews.

Thanks

#25 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I got the same email launching the Search Marketing Standard offline magazine.  I have to admit I was a wee bit put off by the offer as I am in the UK and therefore don't qualify for the free subscription.  On the up side, I can subscribe for the regular price!  The offer also made me second guess the content of the magazine because if it is a magazine about online marketing then surely their own marketing expertise would tell them that I am not in their target audience for this offer?

Regardless, I think it's an offline SEM magazine will fill a void.  Looking forward to hearing some reviews.

Thanks

View Post

We would love to offer free subscription for everybody interested worldwide but unfortunately the shipping costs are not the same when you ship to Pakistan (never knew they would read SEM magazine in English in that part of the world but today one subscriber proved me wrong) versus shipping to California. I know that UK is a lot closer but it is still too expensive. We are making absolutely no money from our subscription fee, we charge it to cover shipping expenses.

Regards,
Andrey

#26 Winooski

Winooski

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

All right, I'll sign up too. [:-)]

You guys definitely have your work cut out for you in the Google SERPs.

#27 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9003 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

Well they still seem to be going strong. I got an email this morning that it's going to the printers shortly. If you want to see the front cover you can go here. If you're in the USA, you can still subscribe for free up to April 30.

#28 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

I had problems signing up - eventually they just stopped responding to my request for help :)

#29 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hello,

I am not sure there were any support requests that we did not respond to. I apologize if your issue slipped between the cracks. I'll be happy to help you with whatever issue you might have regarding the sign up process.

Edited by Andrey@SMS, 06 April 2006 - 08:56 AM.

#30 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13459 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

I've been very impressed by the dedication and passion of the team of folks working on this publication. I'm pleased they monitor this thread, and hope it provides aid to those who wish to subscribe and may have trouble doing so.

Am I correct in assuming that only the US has the option for free sub's still? (Due to postage rates.)

We welcome any news regarding the magazine and are looking forward to the debut issue :)

#31 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:32 AM

I am in the UK and wanted to pay for a subscription, it only had PayPal as a payment option, I asked for an alternative, you said I could pay with my credit card, I could only find PayPal, I said so, that was last I heard :)

Just checked, and it is still only PayPal :(

#32 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

I assume that what they meant was that you could pay with a credit card through PayPal - PayPal handles credit card payments whether you have an account or not.

-Joe

#33 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9003 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Kim, just to confirm, it's only a free subscription in the USA due to shipping costs as you said. :)

#34 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:10 PM

I assume that what they meant was that you could pay with a credit card through PayPal - PayPal handles credit card payments whether you have an account or not.

-Joe

Nope - you can either 'Log In' or 'Sign Up'

No option to simply pay by credit card.

Edited by rynert, 06 April 2006 - 01:12 PM.

#35 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

PayPal does offer an ability to pay with credit card. Currently we do not use any other merchant service except PayPal. If you cannot figure out how to pay through PayPal, you can send us a check. Our address is listed on the contact us page of our website. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Edited by Andrey@SMS, 06 April 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#36 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

OK, I am being stupid and can't figure it out :)

If anybody could help me out it would be appreciated - maybe I see something different in the UK?

#37 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

We go a lot on reputation and networking of information found mainly through digital means. However, out of our niche most people don't know there ever was a Google Guy. A print publication could help build a bridge between digitally-based marketing and the solid, I-can-hold-it-in-my-hand world. There is something about a respectable print publication that makes content seem more solid.

Quarterly publication in a world that can change day to day will be challenging. I believe these challenges can be met through philosophy. Showing a framework within which to make choices can be like teaching a person how to look at fishing which waters, as opposed to giving them a box of fish sticks. ;-)

#38 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

Good news! The magazine will be shipped on May 2nd so those of you in US and Canada should get their copies within a week or so. Subscribers from other countries should receive their copies within a few weeks but as promised, most of you should get it by mid May.

#39 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

Fabulous! I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

#40 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

Great! Just in time for my birthday! (May 19th)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users