Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Would you subscribe or read a print SEO pub?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Andrey! Can't wait to get this issue.

I noticed, on your website, that Barry Welford has an article as well. He's a moderator here. And, member David Temple has the cover story!

We're so proud!!! :notworthy:

#82 Kal

Kal

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:18 AM

Kim and Barry have articles in this issue? Yay! I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at David's cover story and it's FAB! I'm pretty excited about this issue as Search Engine College has an advert in it. It was quite an investment for us, but I'm hoping it will pay off with the larger circulation and quality content. Like others in this thread, I've been more and more impressed with the quality of the mag each new issue. Great going Andrey and Boris :cheers:

#83 sanity

sanity

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

An article from both Barry and David, wow I'm glad I subscribed!

Kal I'll look forward to your ad too. I hope it goes well for you, which I'm sure it will.

#84 Kal

Kal

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

It's looking good already - at least one student who signed up today came directly from the ad referral!

#85 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hey! I didnt realize this was out yet!

I just ordered a years subscription. :cheers:

-Jeff

#86 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue. Drop your feedback here or send an email to andrey at smstandard dot com once you get your copies.

Thanks,
Andrey

#87 meriweather

meriweather

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

I subscribed way back and have the first 3 or is it 4 now, issues.
Have found it great for those times when a computer is the last thing in the world I want to see and the articles have been informative, well researched and thought out. We have used it as an educational tool on several occasions to help inform clients, and potential clients if the basics of SEM.

Just for the record though, there is a competitor in the works whose title "Website Magazine" may not say it but by the looks of the first issue it is devoted over 60% to search and search marketing. Website Magazine Worth a look and their online version is way-kool.
Doc

#88 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for your kind words, James.

Website Magazine has been around for a while. They used to be called "Website Services Magazine". As far as I remember, they released their first issue about 6 months before we did.

However, their focus is very broad. Obviously, you can't talk about a website without mentioning SEM these days but we do not view them as our competitor.

#89 Kal

Kal

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

Website Mag are also aggressively promoting themselves to SMS advertisers :) . Another new mag in the works is Visibility. This is being put together by the crew at TopSEOs. I don't think the first issue is out yet but I'm interviewed in it :naughty:.

#90 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, we've noticed that at the SES in NY. And we've heard about Visibility Magazine.

I think competition will only make us better and give you more options and better content. The last issue of the Website Magazine was definitely on our turf but I was pleased to see the quality of their articles improve.

As far as the content is concerned, I think we are on the right track. We'll continue publishing quality articles and increase the amount of content in each issue. So far, other magazines in the field have some catching up to do.

I am a big believer in quality content. Readers should come first. What's the point of advertising in the magazine that people don't read? I really can't imagine 120,000 people being excited about getting their copies of the Websites Magazine and reading it from cover to cover. I haven't seen many discussions about their magazine and posts about how much people love reading it...

Those advertisers that do not pay attention to the quality of content simply don't know how to market themselves properly. If people don't read the magazine, they won't see the ads. Period. Our advertisers understand and appreciate that.

And I'm sure our readers do too.

#91 Kal

Kal

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:27 AM

Just got the Summer issue - wow! I was so excited to see our ad. I think it looks fabulous and the placement was perfect. I love the new Conference Guide and Industry stats sections - they're a great idea. There are some terrific articles too, especially the Industry Analysis section with Kim and Barry's contributions.

Just one complaint, which is going to sound funny coming from an advertiser, but I think the ratio of ads to editorial is still too high for the number of pages you have, particularly as there are so many 1 or 2 page ads. With the amount of advertising revenue you are obviously pulling in, you might want to consider paying some freelancers to produce more editorial content, or encouraging more article authors to volunteer.

Great job though - best issue yet!

#92 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update. The Winter 07/08 issue is done, finished, finito, fini, fertig (how do you say it in Spanish?) and has been sent to the presses. Once again, your very own Kim Krause Berg and David Temple are contributing.

For this issue we've decided to focus on in-house SEM because that's the topic that does not get enough attention. Of course, as the luck would have it, in the 3 months since, there was a renewed interest in the topic. Nevertheless, I think that Jessica Bowman, the author of the article, brought something interesting (and unique) to the table.

Besides Kim's article we have another article on usability, dealing with urgency in your sales copy. There is one SEO article by Eric Ward (great as always), PPC, social media and another article (plus interview) focused on PR. I think we've managed to fit even more content in this issue, even though the number of pages stayed the same.

But you'll judge it for yourself once it arrives some time in the second half of November.

#93 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

Once again, your very own Kim Krause Berg and David Temple are contributing

Two great people I might add :pieinface:

Looking forward to seeing the next issue. I make Eric (hubby) take the pile you send me to his job at NutriSystem (IT Group) ;)

#94 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

I just wanted to drop a note saying how much I'm enjoying the latest issue and that I am glad that they are keeping up with the times!

It is a great source for up-to-date information!

By the way Kim, nice blurb on you. I recognized your picture right away from meeting you in Philadelphia that one time.

Michael

#95 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi Michael,

Glad you've enjoyed the latest issue. For the cover story on video search marketing you should thank Grant Crowell. Grant is a video search genius. The original notes on the article were 46 pages long!!! Had to cut it down to 5 :)

Thanks for reading us.

Andrey

#96 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

Thank you!

I'm a huge fan of SMS.

My husband passes out free copies I get (as a columnist for it) to his co-workers and he reports back to me that they now come looking around for the next issue. They're all IT guys and not even SEO's but they seem to enjoy every issue.

#97 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hey Andrey,

What are the chances in getting the 46 pages of notes? ;-)
I'm a huge fan of soaking up as much knowledge as I can. Too bad there isn't enough time in the world for me to learn everything.

Michael

#98 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hello, everyone!

I've decided to continue the longstanding tradition of posting important announcements about the magazine on the Crea8asite Forums.

As we have announced today, the Search Marketing Standard magazine has been acquired by iNET Interactive. iNET Interactive has a huge experience running community sites and portals for online professionals. Their properties include major sites like Web Hosting Talk and Hotscripts.

Our whole editorial team is staying on board and we'll continue bringing you the quality content you've come to expect from the magazine. We are all very excited to have the iNET Interactive team bring their expertise to the magazine.

Interestingly enough, one of our first contributors, Kevin Gold, is a director of marketing at iNET Interactive and is now in charge of the magazine. After years of me telling him what to do (at least when it came to content for the magazine), Kevin can now get back at me ;-)

One thing we've learned since starting the magazine is that it's all about the right people. That's why I want to thank Kim, Barry and the rest of the Crea8asite community for contributing content, subscribing and supporting us in spirit over these years. We are looking forward to serving you for years to come.

Best Regards,
Andrey Milyan
Editor-in-Chief
Search Marketing Standard

#99 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

I'm happy you keep us updated Andrey!

Will SMS continue with the blog?

Print magazine changes, if any?

Too early to know?

What does this news means in terms of readers...what can they expect to see changed, if anything?

#100 Andrey@SMS

Andrey@SMS

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Kim,

It is really too early to know for sure. Nothing is off the table right now, everything is being reviewed and considered.

SMS will most definitely continue to post fresh articles on the site and I'm already recruiting more contributors for the site. To be honest with you, our website has been pretty weak, and that's something we are looking to change with iNET's help.

So it is likely that online properties will see a makeover first. For the magazine, we'll see. we know a lot of our readers want to see the magazine published more often and that's something we are keeping in mind.

We'll keep you guys posted.

Andrey

#101 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9020 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

It's good to hear your news, Andrey. With more resources I would think the sky's the limit. Best wishes.

#102 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Well, that's exciting news! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

And congratulations!

#103 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

Hi Kim,

I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your article on the comparison to speed dating. I have always wondered if my web site has grown to large for the people turning attention deficit because of the mass amount of choices on the internet.

On another note I have voted on the latest poll by Bwelford on web site size and am interested in the results.

Michael Rock

#104 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Michael! With print, it's more difficult to get any feedback on my articles. I appreciate hearing from you, thanks!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users