and Conversion Web Design

Submitting a website to DMOZ

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PhilC_*

Guest_PhilC_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2002 - 06:08 PM

The way that a website is submitted to DMOZ can often delay its inclusion in the directory. Here are some things to watch out for when submitting a site.

Submit to the correct category
DMOZ has a set ontology (category structure). Editors don't go around making up their own categories unless one is needed that isn't included in the ontology. If a site is submitted to the wrong category, this is what happens:-

The editor of the category where the site is submitted to has to review it. This can take a long time to happen but, when it happens, it is found that the site has been submitted to the wrong category. The chances are that the editor is unable to edit in the correct category, so the submission is forwarded to the unreviewed list of the correct one. Actually, the editor may forward it to a higher category up the tree than the one where it belongs, because s/he can't be bothered looking for the correct one. Another lengthy delay occurs until the editor of that category gets around to reviewing it. If it is still in the wrong place, it is forwarded again and a new delay begins.

A site that has been forwarded to a different category does not get any priority. It goes to the bottom of the new category's unreviewed list and has to wait its turn. Submitting to the correct category is essential if you want to avoid those extra, unnecessary delays.

If there is a Description for the category you are going to submit to, read it to make sure that it is the right category for the site. A link to the Description is at the top right of the category page - opposite the bread-crumb trail.

Get the Title and Description right - especially the description
Read the submission guidelines on the Add URL page and try to make sure that your Title and Description fit what is required. Remember that the description is not an advertisement. It should reflect/state what is in the site. Read a few of the listed sites' descriptions to get the idea.

Getting the Title and Description right are nowhere near as important as getting the category right, as they are not likely to cause long delays, but it's quite possible that an editor will add sites with good Titles and Descriptions more readily and quickly than those where s/he has to spend extra time in the site in order to rewrite them.

#2 markus

markus

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:30 PM

I submitted my site to DMOZ, but they decided to create thier own description for my site. Is there any way i can change it?

http://dmoz.org/Soci...nternational/P/

plentyoffish.com

#3 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:37 PM

You got a fair number of keywords included, you're quite lucky.

What did you submit for your own description?

Why do web directory editors cut our descriptions to something useless? may have some points to consider. The problem really is that too few people ask about descriptions until after they have one rejected.

It's harder to get a change than it is to get it right and acceptable on the first attempt for most webmasters. Its not that requesting a change is difficult, it is simply that offering a reason why it benefits the directory to do so may often be hard to manage.

#4 Advisor

Advisor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:45 PM

If the current description accurately reflects your site, it's doubtful that they'll change it. If it doesn't, however, you can email the editor of your category and let them know about the inaccuracies. Explain why they're inaccurate and give them a corrected description. You'll also want to clearly state why your corrected description is more appropriate because it more accurately depicts what your site is all about.

Good luck!

Jill

#5 markus

markus

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:04 PM

If the current description accurately reflects your site, it's doubtful that they'll change it.  If it doesn't, however, you can email the editor of your category and let them know about the inaccuracies.  Explain why they're inaccurate and give them a corrected description.  You'll also want to clearly state why your corrected description is more appropriate because it more accurately depicts what your site is all about.

Good luck!

Jill

They have (Description they made up for me)
Picture profiles, chat, tips, forums, and rating system.

What i want to change it to is.
Completely Free Dating Site Featuring Picture profiles, chat, tips, forums, and rating system.

Would this fly?

#6 Advisor

Advisor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1142 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:24 PM

Completely Free

That definitely won't fly. They don't allow language of that sort. Perhaps just free, but not "completely free."

If the category already mentions dating, then you won't be allowed to have "dating site" in there either because that goes without saying.

It appears that your description accurately depicts what your site is all about, so it's doubtful you'll be able to get it changed.

Jill

#7 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:37 AM

Completely Free Dating Site Featuring Picture profiles, chat, tips, forums, and rating system.

To help a little, remember that directory editors generally won't allow the description to repeat what the categorization already tells everyone. They generally won't want the words 'dating site' in the description because it isn't what sets anyone apart from the other listings. They are all dating sites. It is a category of dating sites. If it is a category for non-commercial dating sites then they won't use the word 'free' either.

#8 Thanol

Thanol

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 12:09 PM

Some editors allow the word free... my free click charity directory site just got accepted, in like 1 day too ;) I'm so happy, now i'll get hits from outside the Looksmart network, err at lest 1/3 of my site will.

#9 MikeArnold

MikeArnold

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:39 PM

I have had troubles submitting sites (www.artrestorationsf.com, www.samleftwich.com and www.mike-arnold.com) to DMOZ - the final "submit site" just hangs, and eventually gives a "page does not exist".
Does DMOZ give you an auto-response email to say the site is submitted for review? as I dont want to do the bad of over submitting.

#10 Jean_Manco

Jean_Manco

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1035 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 03:16 PM

Welcome to Cre8asite.

A lot of people have had problems submitting recently. As far as I know, it is caused by server overload, so you could try submitting again when the US is asleep.

Don't worry about over-submitting. If you do manage to submit and then submit the same site again to the same category, the second submission will just overwrite the first.

The Open Directory does not send an automatic email to inform you that your submission has been received. Instead you should get that information up on your screen.

#11 banned

banned

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:58 PM

Some anomalies occurred because there was some re-structuration in the system. As Jean_Manco suggested, apply again. If you have any problem re-submitting, please go to resource-zone.com

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users