• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

I've been researching social bookmarks (still!) and faced a problem: on each page on my site, I would have to add a link to each and every social bookmarks wesbite, like Furl and Digg and Delicious. Putting a lot of links to do the same task is a waste or space and confusing. So I came up with a solution:

Meet the Socializer.

Simply put, you link to the Socializer and it gives you the option to bookmark to all social bookmarks websites in one go. The figure explains it all:

Posted Image

Anyone can use this service, and I even created a free javascript file you can embed in your pages to automatically create the links for you. And as I add more services, you get the benefits too. You don't have to do anything!

To see the Socializer in action, see this example. This would actually bookmark the Socializer.

Whatchya think? Would love to hear your comments and feedback. And feel free to use it :P

Finally, a hat-tip to IrishWonder who's working on a social bookmarks reviews site. Talking to him improved the idea and the service a bit. Thanks :)

Cheers,
Pierre

PS - The Socializer uses a new, better, version of the Digg code that automatically fills in the title for you. The code I gave in the previous threads didn't do this.

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Very, very cool. Everyone should check this out.

#3 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:10 PM

Very, very cool.  Everyone should check this out.

View Post

Thanks Donna :)

#4 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

Talk about a great way to spread the word with very little effort. Another excellent tool.

#5 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:20 AM

Thanks rmccarley!

If you use Movable Type: a blogger called Jon Tillman created a plugin that automatically creates the Socializer link for you. Very neat.

Pierre

#6 dougedoug

dougedoug

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

This is cool IM gonna play with it tomorrow.

#7 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:09 AM

Excellent work. This is going right on the blog - perfect example of something that serves the web community and attracts well-deserved links.

#8 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:33 AM

You're the man...

#9 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

Thank you everyone - Glad you like it!

Rand, thank you very very much for the blog entry! It sent quite a few referrals ;) I like the stats.

If anyone knows of other social bookmarking systems I could add, please gimme a shout. PM me or contact me.

Thanks again :)

Pierre

Edited by eKstreme, 10 March 2006 - 07:39 AM.

#10 gabs

gabs

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

I think its great!

Just looked at adding it to some of my sites but the only thing is that i'm never been a mad fan of having the code on someone elses server e.g. anyway you could offer the source code ?

#11 qwerty

qwerty

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

I added Tillman's plugin to a client's MT blog a few days ago, and noticed that the default anchor text for the link is "Bookmark This." Since very few people have heard of Socializer at this point, I guess it wouldn't make sense to make the link something like "bookmark with Socializer," but I really don't think the default gets the message across very well either.

For the time being, we've left it alone, and I've suggested they write a post explaining what the link is for, even though that would be very much off the topic of the blog.

#12 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:59 PM

I think its great!

Just looked at adding it to some of my sites but the only thing is that i'm never been a mad fan of having the code on someone elses server e.g. anyway you could offer the source code ?

View Post

Glad you like it! As for the source code: if you're referring to the Javascript file, then you can certainly download that and keep it on your server. As for the actual Socializer code: the whole point is that I take care of the links for you. If the APIs change or to add more services, you don't worry about it, but I do. I update the Socializer and your links are updated automatically.

I added Tillman's plugin to a client's MT blog a few days ago, and noticed that the default anchor text for the link is "Bookmark This." Since very few people have heard of Socializer at this point, I guess it wouldn't make sense to make the link something like "bookmark with Socializer," but I really don't think the default gets the message across very well either.

For the time being, we've left it alone, and I've suggested they write a post explaining what the link is for, even though that would be very much off the topic of the blog.

View Post

That's actually a common question. My favorite anchor text is "Social bookmark this" or slight variations of that. The anchor text must inform the user of what's awaiting them at the other side: social bookmarking.

Pierre

#13 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Off Topic offtopicBTW, qwerty, it's good to see you here. I notice you post once every six months or sometimes even once a year. Hope you'll stop by more frequently but if not, have a great summer. :)

#14 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

For anchor text I suggest: Socialize this site!

#15 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

For anchor text I suggest: Socialize this site!

View Post

If only people knew what "Socialize" actually means. It's still too new. That's why I recommend "social bookmark this page/site/post/this" as anchor text: it's more descriptive for the end user.

Pierre

#16 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

How 'bout...

Socilaize this site!
presented by the socializer

The second link goes to your site untill you build enough buzz for everyone to know what you are about. :)

Edited by rmccarley, 22 March 2006 - 10:45 PM.

#17 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

How 'bout...

Socilaize this site!
presented by the socializer

The second link goes to your site untill you build enough buzz for everyone to know what you are about. :D

View Post

I like that! I'll have a bit of a think and see if I can add a custom anchor text feature.

Speaking of buzz: The Socializer has made it to the delicious popular list and to the spurl.net hot links for the past day. Only 3 diggs though.

All this thanks to a little mention at SEO Refugee which prompted Donna to bump up this thread (I owe you big time Donna!) which set off a chain of events via the Cre8 community. I find it very fitting that a community made a social service popular - thanks to everyone! This post at the Cre8tive flow blog comes to mind.

Now back to work on the next big thing...

#18 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

This is terrific! I'll be giving it a go :applause:

#19 qwerty

qwerty

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:58 PM

Hmmm... maybe just "Socialize This" since it would mostly be used for articles or blog posts rather than whole sites. And if it's getting this much buzz around the net, maybe it's ok not to give people an explanation, especially since the page they land on when they click the link makes it very clear.

#20 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

Since the anchor text is a point of discussion, I've decided to make an online tool that will create custom javascript files with your chosen anchor text. All automated. Watch for it ;)

Another question: Someone blogged about the Socializer and called it ugly. The logos, he said, were too cumbersome and an "eyesore". Would you prefer simple text links or logos as it stands now? Or both? Thanks!

Pierre

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users