• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bearmugs

bearmugs

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

I am speaking with a client about starting a new web site. We have discovered that the dot com is already registered for the name we want. Can anyone use dot net. That is what we are considering until we brainstorm an alternate name.

Regards
John EH!

#2 Sorvoja

Sorvoja

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

Sure, there are nolonger any restriction for all of the common international TLD (like .com, .net, .org, .info etc.)

#3 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

In my view, in the long term, I think choosing the .net when the .com is already taken raises the potential issue of confusing branding.

e.g. "we're yahoo.net" (the other guys)

#4 bearmugs

bearmugs

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Sorvoja.

Respree, in this case, it would be "we're the real yahoo" but just didn't snatch up the name in time. We're the creator and inventor of this product but the name has not been patented. I agree however, that confusion is a good possibility with people automatically going to dot com.

Going to have to do some more brainstorming here. Thanks guys.

John EH!

#5 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

Would you consider using something like RealBrandname.com?
It is just too easy to send traffic to the .com site by accident if you use .net.
CiCi

#6 bearmugs

bearmugs

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

Thats brilliant CiCi. We didn't think of that one. As usual, the folks here may have solved and removed a major road block.

Thanks
The Real John EH!

#7 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

Great suggestion CiCi - good workaround when the .com of your name has already gone.

I'd definitely avoid getting the .net if a competitor already has the .com - way to much confusion and I guarantee you'll loose traffic to them.

#8 person

person

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

Would you consider using something like RealBrandname.com?
It is just too easy to send traffic to the .com site by accident if you use .net.
CiCi

View Post

Will using realname.com get one in trouble with name.com since it seems to imply name.com is not real?

#9 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:15 PM

No, person, I think the problem is left with name.com and they don't have much they can do about it. Of course they could always set up a new domain, TrueBrandname.com. :)

Edited by bwelford, 09 March 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#10 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

Especially in light of this:

We're the creator and inventor of this product but the name has not been patented.

I don't think the other company would be able to do anything at all.

If you were to use someone else's trademark in that manner, that would be a different story.
CiCi

#11 person

person

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

No, person, I think the problem is left with name.com and they don't have much they can do about it.  Of course they could always set up a new domain, TrueBrandname.com.  :)

View Post

Now that is another great alternative! :)

#12 person

person

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Especially in light of this:
I don't think the other company would be able to do anything at all.

If you were to use someone else's trademark in that manner, that would be a different story.
CiCi

View Post

Yes I agree if the 'brandname' is trademarked then it might be an issue.. :)

#13 bearmugs

bearmugs

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

Just wanted to let the gang here know, that we chose to go with brandnameplus.com

John EH!
P S :cheers:
by the way, I got "bearmugs" because "beermugs" was already taken.

#14 eron19

eron19

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

LOL.

did you try registering it?

#15 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:03 AM

I am currently in the market for a domain name, but all the domain names I have tried are registered.
Of course, only the .com versions. The .org, .net, etc domains are free. The registered domains are either down, have a construction page (This is your site and it is empty) or have a link farm (with searches) on them.

Which brings me to the question, is it fairly safe to purchase the .org version of the domain?
How high is the probability that the .com domain owners will end up with copying my content and swindling my potential customers?

Can a guy from any country purchase the .org domains?

Also, what would be the difference between the .org and .net domains? Are .org domain companies perceived as respectable organizations and .net domains are just commercial?

Thanks.

P.S. Yeah, I am thinking of creating a better .com domain, but all the domains are taken =)

Edited by A.N.Onym, 05 May 2006 - 12:10 AM.

#16 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

Which brings me to the question, is it fairly safe to purchase the .org version of the domain?
How high is the probability that the .com domain owners will end up with copying my content and swindling my potential customers?

That's a little like moving to a new neighborhood, and hoping that you have good neighbors. I would guess that you could try to do a little research, like looking them up in a whois search, and seeing if you can find other footprints that they may have left on the web.

Can a guy from any country purchase the .org domains?

Anyone should be able to purchase a .org address, regardless of where they are from.

The FAQ from the Public Interest Registry goes into some more details. Of course, .org names are intended for nonprofit and noncommercial organizations, but there are businesses which have registered and use .org domains.

Also, what would be the difference between the .org and .net domains? Are .org domain companies perceived as respectable organizations and .net domains are just commercial?

The FAQ I linked to above goes into a lot of detail on .orgs. As for .net domains, those were originally intended for Internet service providers, but many other businesses use them, too.

It can be difficult to come up with a good .com address because so many are taken.

#17 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for the input, bragadocchio!

Looks like I need to do some more research, eh.

It is just frustrating that I can't get a domain that noone is using.
The domain owners I have contacted via the whois info haven't replied yet.

#18 Juliette

Juliette

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:44 AM

I think that you also have to take into account what Respree said earlier in this thread in response to the first question:

I think choosing the .net when the .com is already taken raises the potential issue of confusing branding.

In this case it would be a .org instead of a .net, but the effect is still likely to be the same. Maybe telling us what you are aiming for in terms of a name can allow us to maybe help you think up a better name?

#19 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:25 AM

That's why I am aiming at .com even over .org.

However, the ideal .com domain names are already taken with all the other ones being free.

I was actually more inclined to think up an unregistered domain name than to get an .org or a .neg domain.

I was thinking of a 'call to action' domain. The verb (like, increase) and the noun (sales, for instance) are predefined and are not subject to change. All combinations, like 'verbnoun', 'verbwebnoun', 'verbmynoun' have already been taken. I was actually thinking of using hyphens, but, still, don't like them much.

That's why I'd rather go for a new domain name, instead of risking future branding (or more) issues.

Thanks for your help :)

#20 eron19

eron19

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:20 AM

i use .com .net .tv

#21 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

I was taking a class with an aquaintance who uses .net. She told me her site address, stressed the net vs com, and still I went home and tried to find hername.com. Next day I told her I couldn't get to her site and she reminded me about the .net.
My point is that I really feel most users (in US anyway) expect that .com. I'd rather have a bad .com than a good .net or even .org.
Find the right adjective or adverb to go with your noun and verb.
Just my two cents.
CiCi

#22 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll surely try fitting some adjectives or adverbs in the name.
However, the adjectives or adverbs may sound subjective, so it isn't That easy.

Thanks anyway, I guess I'll need to book a couple of hours for domain name picking :)

#23 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:56 AM

the adjectives or adverbs may sound subjective

True. Short and accurate is what I would shoot for.

Or, since you are going for a call to action: VerbNounNow, VerbNounToday, or some such. Or maybe NounVerb would work with the right verb tense, depending upon your words.

Edited by ccera, 05 May 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#24 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hmm, I too have been thinking of adding some 'now' or 'today' to the tail of the domain.
However, there is a chance that people will only remember everything but the 'now'.
Like, instead of going to 'fixwidgetnow.com' they'll go to 'fixwidget.com' (which is down).
I don't think there'll be a problem if some actually search for 'fixwidget(.com)', though.

Hmm I don't quite catch what you mean by NounVerb in the correct tense.
I can only think of NounNoun, the last noun being a derivative from the verb like widgetfixing.com (that's a gerund irrc).

Thanks for the tips, again :D

#25 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

I wasn't as concerned with being grammatically correct as with not sounding silly.
The NounGerund thing may work, though, depending on your words.

#26 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

Sorry for being scrupulous, four years at the English Language Faculty did that to me =)
Just trying to be precise, though. Sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you for your help :)

Update: I think I have come up with a domain name by changing the noun to a noun with similar relevance to the site.

I changed largely because using keyword domain names may not be required, because one can also get numerous links with any anchor text to the site, which will bring the site on top for any keyword. Keywords in the domain aren't that important than titles, content and links.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 05 May 2006 - 08:06 PM.

#27 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:07 PM

Don't worry, I was not in the least offended.
Congratulations on finding a name! :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users