• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 traxxtech

traxxtech

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

After having read numerous aticles regarding the negative effects of FFA links (Link farms and their ilk) and even google's official don't do it with FFA Links page (http://www.google.co...asters/seo.html) ... . I wondered why search engines, would use such an off-site metric as a way to affect the site ranking, and if was used in this manner could it not be made into a SEO-weapon?

What's preventing me from spamming my competitors site(s) URL onto FFA sites, if this has such adetrimentall effect than it would certainly knock my competition down a few rungs on the SERP ladder.

MY conclusion is that the smart folks at google and other search engines, certainly don't condone the practice of FFA links , but most likely ignore such links in their ranking rather than using them as a way to penalize a URL? Otherwise this and other off-site techniques could be used as weapons in the SEO game.. What do you folks think?

#2 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

Welcome to the forums! ;)

There's a fundamental difference, I think, between a FFA site and a Link Farm. FFA links can't hurt a site, in large part because there's never any reason to link back to the FFA site. Even if one did, I doubt it would hurt because no one else (in their right mind) is doing it. Link Farms, on the other hand, pretty much demand a linkback, albeit usually in some round-about fashion. It's that linkback that can potentially have a negative effect.

You'll often hear it referred to as linking to a bad neighborhood?

#3 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:30 AM

GoogleBowling, eh? It can be done, but it takes the right links at the right time, pointed at the right site (one on the edge of the search engines' trust factors). I've seen the results of a test, however, that showed it was virtually impossible to "bowl" out a strong, trusted site from the SERPs. It's the newbies that you can kill with nasty link tactics.

#4 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

rand if I may, check out rand's comments here: Can Too Many Links Delist a Site? - http://www.seomoz.or...tail.php?ID=906 also check out Aaron Wall's entry that rand references - Can I get Penalized for Who Links at My Site? http://www.seobook.c...es/001544.shtml

#5 dyn4mik3

dyn4mik3

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

Yup - agree with rand. I'm seeing link farms hurting new sites without enough trusted links.

#6 etech-racheal

etech-racheal

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:28 AM

Today, submitting to a Link Farm or FFA site can be harmful to your website's reputation. Google takes a strong stance against these kinds of link pages.

At best, the Link Farm will drag down your ranking and make it harder for the valuable sites to work in your favor.

At worst, your site will be BANNED altogether for using spam sites to attempt to generate traffic. This is a very real possibility.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users