#1 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Okay people - I need your best ideas.

I've created a viral movie: http://www.abitofinspiration.com

It's aimed at managers/executives, small business owners and entrepreneurs.

My question:

What is a good "seeding" strategy to get my movie passed around by as many people in my target market as possible?

Look forward to your ideas!

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

Hi Anna

I really liked your movie. It's very fine and I'm sure will get spread around.

Let me throw out some off-the-top of my head thoughts to get the brainstorming going. I'm not sure it will spread like an infection, which is the speed of viral marketing, but at a somewhat gentler pace.

To get to viral speed, it's got to be something that has high whisper value. It's got to be such that the person passing it on knows that the recipient will say WOW. Your's is worth a wow IMHO.

I'm big on Focus, focus, focus. I'm also big on blogs. I have subscribed to the newsfeed for your blog, which is titled Internet Marketing For Profit. I'm not sure whether I may have heard that somewhere else. Possibly you might better be known as Anna Johnson for Profitable Inspiration or something similar and hang all your marketing push around that. Clearly getting the Blogosphere talking about what you offer is a must.

JM2C

#3 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:53 AM

Hi Anna

I really liked your movie.  It's very fine and I'm sure will get spread around.

Let me throw out some off-the-top of my head thoughts to get the brainstorming going.  I'm not sure it will spread like an infection, which is the speed of viral marketing, but at a somewhat gentler pace.

To get to viral speed, it's got to be something that has high whisper value.  It's got to be such that the person passing it on knows that the recipient will say WOW.  Your's is worth a wow IMHO.

I'm big on Focus, focus, focus.  I'm also big on blogs.  I have subscribed to the newsfeed for your blog, which is titled Internet Marketing For Profit.  I'm not sure whether I may have heard that somewhere else.  Possibly you might better be known as Anna Johnson for Profitable Inspiration or something similar and hang all your marketing push around that.  Clearly getting the Blogosphere talking about what you offer is a must.

JM2C

View Post

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, you probably have heard "Internet Marketing For Profit" before :) My plan was to evolve it to "Anna Johnson's Internet Marketing For Profit" or similar when I have more of a "name."

It is a separate business/concept from A Bit Of Inspiration though - which is aimed at building my Success Accelerator email list. That's actually a blog too - Success Accelerator (http://success.kikabinku.com). While IMP supports our Internet Marketing services business; Success Accelerator supports our infoproducts business.

Anyway... given your experience, what do you think of my strategy of basically repeating the content in my email newsletter on my blog? Or should the content be different? The main reason why I use the same content is to optimize my time...

#4 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:04 AM

Anna,

The message is nice. And thats the problem. Its too nice.

To get a viral spread, it really needs to be rude, shocking, stimulating, funny or exciting. It needs to entertain.

That was a very deep and philosophical flash movie, and although there was technically nothing wrong with it, it will not get the email spread you need.

Viral marketing is something that is usually a flash application or game or funny video, or concept. It has to be cool and engaging for your audience. Generally speaking, the best viral marketing was never designed under the guise of "viral marketing" to begin with.

Examples of great viral marketing. These ones all came to me via email.

http://www.sithsense.com/flash.htm
http://muppets.go.co...lyinggonzo.html
http://svt.se/hogaff...or/hestekor.swf

This next one is a bit rude, so dont click on this one if you are offended for the f word or the c word.

http://www.limmy.com...ings/xylophone/

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:19 AM

I see no problem in using the same material for your e-mail newsletter and for your on-line blog, Anna. However if you get them on to your blog, there are many more possible avenues for them and also for you.

What I do is to have my e-mail newsletter as a sort of executive summary with a link through to the on-line content. Of course I also have a RSS newsfeed as you do so that will bring traffic to the on-line content in an analogous way. Some people that particular day will not have time to see the on-line content but only enough to read your brief summary in your e-mail newsletter or your RSS newsfeed. That's OK because you've just bumped their awareness of you up a little bit. Repetition is the name of the game. :)

#6 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

Anna,

The message is nice. And thats the problem. Its too nice.

To get a viral spread, it really needs to be rude, shocking, stimulating, funny or exciting. It needs to entertain.

That was a very deep and philosophical flash movie, and although there was technically nothing wrong with it, it will not get the email spread you need.

Hi Travis,

Hmm... you're going to be excited about what I'm about to tell you:

This viral movie has had 40 million unique visitors and generated 500,000 in email subscribers: http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com

This viral movie has had 3.5 million unique visitors and generated a 250,000 email list: http://www.thetimemovie.com

Nice sells!!!

Not to say funny doesn't sell more... but I reckon it's much harder to be funny than nice :)

#7 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

I see no problem in using the same material for your e-mail newsletter and for your on-line blog, Anna.  However if you get them on to your blog, there are many more possible avenues for them and also for you.

What I do is to have my e-mail newsletter as a sort of executive summary with a link through to the on-line content.  Of course I also have a RSS newsfeed as you do so that will bring traffic to the on-line content in an analogous way.  Some people that particular day will not have time to see the on-line content but only enough to read your brief summary in your e-mail newsletter or your RSS newsfeed.  That's OK because you've just bumped their awareness of you up a little bit.  Repetition is the name of the game. :)

View Post

Thanks Barry, yes I see the possibilities with having a blog. For example, I'm releasing a product soon on how to manage people. I've started inviting subscribers to my regular Success Accelerator email list to join another list called the Management Inner Circle. I plan to direct members of this list to my blog for more detailed information about the upcoming product.

And there are lots of other applications too I'm sure...

#8 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

This viral movie has had 40 million unique visitors and generated 500,000 in email subscribers:

Wow,

Impressive stuff. I'm excited.

The difference for yourself is that you are copying a presentation from an "independent" style of marketing to a "business style" of marketing.

The presentation will be interpreted differently according to what you want at the end of it.

Putting this at the end of it, http://www.kikabinku.com/ changes the complexion of the presentation.

Subscribe to our email newsletter, Success Accelerator, and we’ll let you know when our groundbreaking resource, The Work At Home Bible is ready to help you navigate the maze of schemes and scams, and find the best, genuine, work-at-home opportunity for you.

Does the "Work at Home Bible" cost money ?

#9 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:40 AM

Wow,

The difference for yourself is that you are copying a presentation from an "independent" style of marketing to a "business style" of marketing.

The presentation will be interpreted differently according to what you want at the end of it.

Putting this at the end of it, http://www.kikabinku.com/ changes the complexion of the presentation.
Does the "Work at Home Bible" cost money ?

View Post

Interesting food for thought. I'm aiming my inspirational movie at junior-to-mid level executives/professionals, small business owners and entrepreneurs, including people who work at home - people who want to succeed, but would like the tools/resources/knowledge to succeed. So far my optin rate is encouraging... I just have to get more people to view it...

The Work At Home Bible will cost money... when I finish it...

#10 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

Anna,

Yeah, well good luck with it.

I dont doubt the quality of your presentation. It's just what happens at the end that will determine whether people forward it on.

Without the big sell, you may look more independent and not tied to a commercial line. In that case, you need a clickable link throughout the presentation to your landing page.

A message which has less commercial snags at the end will get distributed further, but it will not sell as hard.

If you try and sell too hard, no one will forward it on.

You really need to find the right balance.

Edited by travis, 22 March 2006 - 06:08 PM.

#11 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Travis - you're spot on about finding that balance.

I'll be testing and tracking to see what works... and what doesn't.

#12 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hi Anna

I've let this soak in and looked at the other two examples you linked. "The interview with God" is amazing in my eyes, wow - really had me sitting there listening and reading. The other one was good as well, though it did not quite reach the same "level" to me.

Comparing those to yours, I find yours lacking.. it's hard to put it down in words...

The music feels "cheap", "electrical", like a midi file; it makes it almost pull down the quality of your message.

The message itself is one that would almost make me click away: "everyday ordinary people are doing extraordinary things - why not you?" It's almost implying that I'm sitting in a hut, staring at the walls, waiting to have my fortune fall into my hands. "How dare you say that of me when you don't even know me!?" :)

The other films had a much more upbeat style - they are showing what could be possible, giving me tips without implying that I need them, almost acting like it is quoting what I am thinking anyway. You know the trick: make it look like someone came up with a good idea themselves and they're sold on it.

Also, your finish seems incomplete. You list some items that "they" have which "I" don't. No what? Do I have to copy them? Do I have to do that? Where will it help? What if I already have 2-3 of those? You're not following up on your summary. Please elaborate about what it really is that I'm missing (but again, it is better to turn it around than to imply that I'm missing something).

And of course there is no call to action. What now? Ok, assuming you have an emotionally gripping short film - how do you turn that into a "conversion" at the end of the film? Ok, it redirects to your "sales" page, but the connection from the film to the sales page seems lacking.

Also, on your sales page (I'll just call it that :D), you have some items which I find sound a bit cheezy...

"will guarantee you achieve your goals (whatever they may be)" - I doubt you really want to guarantee that? My goal might be ... anything ... Since I can't believe you when you say that, why should I believe you on the rest? it might be a free newsletter, but it's still a question of trust: if I don't trust in your honesty when you write the sales page, why should I trust you when you send me the newsletter?

"complimentary A Bit Of Inspiration screensaver" - I might be the wrong person for this, but I have a big problem with just installing a software (screensaver) for something I am not 1000% sure of. Too many worms, back-doors, trojans, etc are spread by the same mechanism. I've seen too many people get burnt by free games + screensavers (ok, and made a bit of change cleaning it up :D)

"(I respect your privacy. I hate spam as much as you do and will NEVER sell, rent or share your email address.)" : 10 points for that. It sounds as honest as can be, no sales pitch, no legaleze. Perfect.

Send to friends .. - a good idea, but how do you protect against spam attacks? All my mail forms have been hit before, especially those that let you specify a message, sender and adressee.... (and the one I sent myself landed in my spam filter :( ) I would at least add some sort of human-check to it (if only a simple math problem), even if it means that you will have fewer people sending it out. What do you do with the addresses from here? Are they stored or discarded? You might want to mention that on the form as well.

Linking to your film ... do you have anyone doing so already? Once the content is (imho :)) better, more gripping, it might be a possibility. How about offering different types of links? Make it easy for them :).

Additionally, the whole "sales" page sounds like you're trying to make a sale without mentioning what it is. Why are you doing that? Why make a newsletter for free, why do you spend so much time in getting the film together, in making a website, etc? Tell the vistor a bit about YOUR motivation. This is especially a problem with the requested links and recommendations to friends. Since the visitor does not know what it really is you're trying to sell, it is hard for them to recommend you / your site. Everyone wants something for free, but not if they think it might end up being something expensive; be honest up front - they can make a qualified decision if they want to sign up or not. What good is a name on your list if they don't really want what you are offering?

Whew - this turned out a bit long :). I am certainly not representative so please take my comments above with a grain of salt. But maybe there are other visitors who feel the same way. What kind of numbers are you getting? Any links? (you're following up referrers, right?) I signed up anyway, btw, just to see what will come :D.

John

Edited by softplus, 22 March 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#13 dgeary9

dgeary9

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

Anna, not what you were looking for, but that interview with God is really something!

As for your movie, I echo some of John's thoughts. I'm uncertain at the end what I'm getting in to, so I'm unlikely to sign up (and much less likely to involve my friends). Perhaps segue people to your site, or add some informational steps that create informed conversions?

#14 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Wow John, some very thought provoking feedback here! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Firstly, about the music - personally, I love it :D I feel it really resonates with my message. It starts off a little sad then becomes positive.

The message itself - well, again this is a message that I feel resonates with the people I'm trying to reach. People with big dreams but daily challenges. Of course if you find yourself watching and disagreeing... maybe you're not the target market :)

No call to action? Well, that comes on the landing page where I ask people to sign up for a mini-course about the 7 keys to success.

The use of the word "guarantee". I can see your concern, but I truly believe that if you have commitment, an open mind, persistence, flexibility, faith, thankfulness and passion... you will achieve your goals... but I am open to alternative wording. I'm just a bit reluctant to use a word like "help" which seems a little weak.

Complimentary screensaver - some people will have concerns about this. But plenty of people download screensavers all the time, so it's up to the individual whether or not they want it or not.

Privacy - absolutely. I hate spam!

Send to friends - the script I use means that the email comes from the person who recommends the movie (not me). Is that what you're getting at? If it lands in someone's email filter... I'm not sure what I can do with it. You might have a point about storing/discarding the addresses... but I don't want to put too many words on the page for fear of detracting from the main message (for someone to sign up to my newsletter, etc).

Linking to your film - yes, I do have people linking to it on their blogs. It's been a great source of traffic.

Sales page - hmmm... not sure what I can do here because I'm not selling anything. My aim is to attract people to my newsletter. Later, when I have some products, I'll be presenting those to the people on my list. However, most of the newsletters I send are simply motivational advice, etc. (They're the same messages as on my blog: http://success.kikabinku.com if you wan't to see for yourself).

Okay, so what about the numbers?

Well, I've working off a small base - only 510 people have visited the movie so far, and I've made some changes over the last few days since which have impacted the results. But I am quite pleased with the numbers:

In the last couple of days:
-- 69% of people who visit the site watch the entire movie
-- 19.1% of people who watch the entire movie sign up for the 7-day course/screensaver/newsletter. Or, another way to look at it, 13.1% of visitors opt in.

Scott Stratten, who created The Time Movie and other similar movies, said he aims for 90% of people who visit his site to download the movie, 80% of those (or 72% of site visitors) to watch the entire movie, and 20% of those (or 14.4% of site visitors) to opt-in after watching the movie.

My results are close to those benchmarks. I need more visitors in order to reach any definitive conclusions... but I can only go on the figures so far and they lead me to believe that the movie doesn't need any radical overhauls just yet.

Thanks again for your insights, John. Believe it or not, I really appreciate and welcome detailed feedback like this!

#15 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

I'm uncertain at the end what I'm getting in to, so I'm unlikely to sign up (and much less likely to involve my friends).  Perhaps segue people to your site, or add some informational steps that create informed conversions?

View Post

Hi dgeary,

Can you pinpoint what left you uncertain - or what felt vague - to you?

I appreciate your feedback!

Anna

#16 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

Hi Anna
I was a little worried after posting so much that you might not want to "hear me out", I'm glad you did (and didn't run off screaming afterwards) :)

Just some short notes:

Regarding the music: yes, the music as such is nice, but I was thinking more in terms of the quality of the music. It sounds a bit too "metallic", "computer generated" to my ears (though I admit I am a little spoiled in that regards, my wife is a musicologist and runs a concert agency for classical soloists). I feel this is one place where a little higher quality (keeping the same music if you wish) might add an "unconcious" advantage towards the total professional look and feel...

Ok, I'll ignore the message for the moment (like I said, I signed up anyway :)).

I know what you are saying, but I still believe that a word like "guarantee" is either too unbelievable or too "salesman-talk"... but I don't have a better one and perhaps it's partly because I'm not a native-english person... I wouldn't leave it like that (it's hard to get something better though).

Re the send-to-friends: I would be more worried about spammers finding it and sending mail from "Joe" to (all the addresses) with an addional text like "buy your viag.r.a. here ...". Combine that with your message, and I think your mail-server would be put on a black list very fast, blocking all the legitimate mails. Which would be sad... With a "captcha" or something similar you can at least make sure that scripts can't send mails like that automatically through your page. In any case, I would add a footer with a small or grey comment about what you do with the addresses. I hate it when people send me mails through forms like that because I feel they've just sold my address: put a not in the form and also, put a note in the mail that is sent out.

Even if you are currently only sending motivational mails and are not selling any products, I would add a small background about you somewhere. Tell them WHY you have put up this site (the usual marketing-blah would do: "I was down in a rut, learned about these techniques and they worked for me, I'm a millionaire now, let me tell you how you can be one too!!") - or any other story that comes across as being natural, honest. Especially if they see (and trust) that you are not out to sell them some get-rich-quick tapes I imagine it will make a big difference. It adds another element of trust to the whole thing.

Keep it up, it's great to see a bit more into the background of something like this and of course to try to help make it even better (hopefully) :D

Cheers
John

#17 Anna Johnson

Anna Johnson

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi John,

No not scared off - thinking about your feedback!

Regarding the music: yes, the music as such is nice, but I was thinking more in terms of the quality of the music. It sounds a bit too "metallic", "computer generated" to my ears (though I admit I am a little spoiled in that regards, my wife is a musicologist and runs a concert agency for classical soloists). I feel this is one place where a little higher quality (keeping the same music if you wish) might add an "unconcious" advantage towards the total professional look and feel...

Is it the quality of the sound that you're concerned about? The thing with the sound is that if I increase it too much (in Flash) the movie will load much slower. I've increased the quality and made it stereo. If you like, have a listen and tell me if it sounds any different.

I know what you are saying, but I still believe that a word like "guarantee" is either too unbelievable or too "salesman-talk"... but I don't have a better one and perhaps it's partly because I'm not a native-english person... I wouldn't leave it like that (it's hard to get something better though).

I've changed the word to "empower".

Re the send-to-friends: I would be more worried about spammers finding it and sending mail from "Joe" to (all the addresses) with an addional text like "buy your viag.r.a. here ...". Combine that with your message, and I think your mail-server would be put on a black list very fast, blocking all the legitimate mails. Which would be sad... With a "captcha" or something similar you can at least make sure that scripts can't send mails like that automatically through your page.

That's a worry. I'll ask my technical person to look into this.

In any case, I would add a footer with a small or grey comment about what you do with the addresses. I hate it when people send me mails through forms like that because I feel they've just sold my address: put a not in the form and also, put a note in the mail that is sent out.

Good idea - I've added a little note to both the website and the email.

Even if you are currently only sending motivational mails and are not selling any products, I would add a small background about you somewhere. Tell them WHY you have put up this site (the usual marketing-blah would do: "I was down in a rut, learned about these techniques and they worked for me, I'm a millionaire now, let me tell you how you can be one too!!") - or any other story that comes across as being natural, honest. Especially if they see (and trust) that you are not out to sell them some get-rich-quick tapes I imagine it will make a big difference.  It adds another element of trust to the whole thing.

Done - you can click on my name and a little bio will pop up.

Hopefully these tweaks will improve my optin rate even more.

Edited by Anna Johnson, 23 March 2006 - 10:56 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users