9 replies to this topic

#1 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2903 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:55 AM

Adwords - I've skimmed around this subject for far too long... so here's goes -

I've got a few informational/directory websites that do very well with Adsense.

How would opening an Adwords account help me? How does Adwords help a directory type website?

All help/knowledge/experience gratefully appreciated :)

#2 RiYo

RiYo

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hi Paul,
I am not sure I understand your question completely, but you should only use Adwords if it would bring you extra revenue. So if you can get one extra visitor for 5cents and this visitor would generate extra revenue for you ... go for it!

I hereby assume that you know what amount 1 visitor (on average) generates for you, for example by clicking on adsense ads, or alternative revenue generating items.

Hope this helps

Richard

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

I used adwords to bring visitors into new pages that I feel are highly linkable and which do not yet rank well for terms that I am targeting. My hope is to get a couple of links from this traffic. Very few pages that I create are worth this approach but I have ads running right now for some new pages.

You can actually get traffic for UNDER 5 cents per click on some keywords. Plus if you use the site targeted approach you can sometimes get very inexpensive adspace on specific sites related to your own. A sexy ad can get a little traffic for cheap.

Edited by EGOL, 28 March 2006 - 10:29 AM.

#4 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2903 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

Richard, Egol - thanks for your replies.

The websites are on top paying keywords and are niche websites in that respect.

My vague knowledge of Adwords suggests that Adwords is only used if you have a product, or an item, that you are selling, and you want to drive traffic to your website for that product - not for informational/directory websites - yes, or no?

So, bearing in mind that the average click pays quite well, (on Adsense to me) - how does this relate in bidding on these top paying keyword subjects in Adwords?

#5 dgeary9

dgeary9

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

I think the idea would be to use Adwords as a marketing tactic to get people to your site - to be effective, you need to make more from these visitors over their lifetime with you than you spend attracting them. Lets assume your visitors only come to your site once to make the calculation easy.

Say your average Adsense click makes you $1, and your CTR is 5%. That means that the average visitor to your site earns you 5 cents. In this single visit scenario, that means you want to pay less than 5 cents a visitor to attract visitors to your site, or you will be losing money. Clearly that means you can't use PPC to attract traffic on top keywords, but if you could find some more obscure or very specific keywords that people are using, it might be worth an experiment. Obviously you'd want to track Adsense CTR on these specific keyword buys to make sure they are converting well enough to make it worth your while.

#6 mlevenhagen

mlevenhagen

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Paul,

Just to add to what everyone's suggested...

Adwords can be used in many, many ways. It is not only used to drive traffic to a page to get an immediate response or sell a product/service.

I use Adwords to sell my own products/services.. to promote affiliate programs utelizing numerous approaches... but also, I use it to build lists directly and build communities. I use it to do product research and/or gather information about my markets.

I think you can only justify driving traffic with Adwords if you are going to make money immediatly (adsense revenue, affiliate commissions, your own products etc...) or if you can have something in place the provides you an opportunity to follow up with your clients or you have something in place that makes your site sticky... or as EGOL mentioned above which I think is an interesting use, to get links to your site.

I think the bottom line is you need to someone have a strategy to at least break even with that traffic coming to your site in order to justify paying for it or have some sort of reason to drive it (testing and fine tuning your sales processes etc...).

My 1.5 cents. B)

#7 WebFreedom

WebFreedom

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

Hi Paul,

I agree with all of the input you've received thus far - good stuff. If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're wondering if AdWords is a viable option for driving traffic to a site that doesn't "sell" a specific item or service. If this is what you're asking, the answer is "Yes". You can use AdWords to drive traffic to any site, and if the keywords for your sites are heavily used in searches, you can count on lots of impressions - you could also look at having your ads displayed on other publisher's sites as AdSense. Since it sounds like the primary revenue for your sites is AdSense, you'd basically need to determine if your investment in AdWords creates enough of an increase in your AdSense revenue to make it a worthwhile endeavor. I'm not an AdWords expert by any stretch, but I'd suggest starting small and seeing what kind of results you get. If good, ramp it up a bit and check again - if bad, dump it. :)

HTH,
Sam

#8 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2903 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

Dgeary, Matt and Sam - thanks for your input - that seems to help me decide a little further about the use of Adwords for myself.

Yes, (Sam) - the only revenue off these sites is from Adsense. And so, (Matt), I will need to justify the use of an Adwords account. And thanks for the maths on that Dgeary :)

I don't want to follow up with clients Mike - I just want them to arrive at the sites - and click on the Adsense - so I suppose I will have to be very careful on how I word the Adwword ads for myself.

I was hoping there would be somebody here who has done this, (specifically for informational/ditrectory type websites), so they could share their experience/wisdom...

Edited by send2paul, 28 March 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#9 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

Paul, "it works" is about all I can add :-)

What I noticed that works nicely is to use "buzz" to your advantage: high traffic to certain keywords / phrases, but little competition in the Adwords. "Sexy" ads work well (as EGOL mentioned), mispellings work, anything that will let you get traffic with a low bid (without being pushed to page 2+ for the ads). Watch the numbers, Google shows you quite a bit. Watch your referrers on your site - you can find out which sites showed the ad (if you are using content-match; potential for direct site-targeting) and what queries people used to get to those sites (potential adwords-targets).

Oh, and make sure that you (and your site) abide to the Adwords TOS!

Cheers
John

#10 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2903 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

Cheers John - and all.

Time to review everything.....l

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic