• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:32 AM

BANGALORE: Investigators probing the December 2005 attack on IISc are leaving no stone unturned. Remote as it may seem, the probe team is looking into whether the attackers used images from remote sensing satellites to plan the strike.

The Google Earth website gives a clear location map of the sprawling IISc campus in the city. It also has clear images of the main buildings on the campus. "With highresolution devices, images from various remote sensing satellites can be enhanced to get a clear view of even roads," an expert said.

Source: [url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1486475.cms]Satellite images in IISc attack?[url]

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:19 AM

oh well, I guess otherwise they would have just taken a look themselves :).

It never fails to amuse me how the press is surprised that new technology is even being used by the bad guys. Is that really so surprising? It would have surprised me if they flew in with self-guided AI 10cm wingspan helicopters flying with dgps using live pseudo-english commands via built-in webserver coming from an open proxy in South America, but using Google Earth to help with the planing?

Next thing you know the terrorists will have used email or cell phones...

John

#3 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

lol, I think the press just prints whatever someone tells them, they really dont have a clue about technology (and that includes many so called technology related press).

What actually suprises me more is how thick the bad guys really are, I keep hearing about failed attempts, bombs that didnt go off, or went of at the wrong time (including the classic one where someone sent a bomb, and it was set to the wrong timezone, so they thought it would go of later, and it blew up on them...)

Perhaps worse, is how thick the security forces are, sometimes even more clueless than the bad guys - I remember the airplane that was bombed using a homemade bomb in a radio cassette player - they sent out a advisory to all airports warning that a bomb could be planted inside a specific part of A CERTAIN MODEL radio cassete player.. Errr, it could be in anything that has space to fit it, and suitable component parts... Not just that one specific model, the mind boggles sometimes.

Im glad the bad guys are thick though, If they had more than a handful of brain cells the world would be a much more dangerous place to live. Just wish the good guys had a little more common sense, and a lot more technical knowledge.

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

I think using the Internet "to do bad things" is too easy of a choice and an easy way to get caught doing it.

While I'm not happy to think that classifed or private info can be found or abused because its too easy to get via the 'Net, I like knowing that the tracks are easy to follow when they get caught. Even if the good guys literally pull the plug on the bad guys, there's no escaping Google's records of where they've been, why and for how long ;-)

#5 Juliette

Juliette

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:25 AM

While i'm glad that using technology can get "the bad people" caught i don't like the thought that it means that we can be "caught" doing whatever we're doing on the net.I guess that's just a hazard that we have to face to get the most out of the electronic resources that are available to us through the net. :(

The fact that people seem shocked that bad people use the internet for "nefarious" purposes is something that never ceases to provide me with entertainment. Do people really assume that because a person has bad intentions they will be incapable of making use of all the resources that the rest of us use on a daily basis? :unsure:

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users