• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Papworth

Papworth

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

Site Review Please. This is the second website I have ever made, and it's a paid forum posting service. :)

#2 MikeTheMike

MikeTheMike

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hey there Papworth!

Just checked out your site. I've got a few things:

1) Too much to read on the main page.

If I can scan the main page and get that answer within about 30 seconds, I'm going to go find another page. Life is to short to do that much reading only to get to the bottom and realize it's nothing I really needed. I recommend you change the main page and put the content down in point form like is found in your FAQ page. It's quick to lay out, gets right to the point, and tells me exactly what you do. Once you've peaked your visitors interest, you can add a little more text underneath or linked into other pages to allow people to get more details.

2) Show some examples!

I think you've got a great concept there. How do I know what I'm going to get though? Let me see an example or two of the quality of the writing. You don't have to give me the whole article but at least a couple of paragraphs showing me the quality.

I remember I was looking for a blind drop shipper for one of my websites. I contacted a company to claimed to have over 50,000 items available but wouldn't tell me or wouldn't let me see what items were available or what they were worth until I paid them $100US per year. I laughed at them, and ended up spending twice as much on only 35,000 items because they gave me a free preview of the items available before I bought, it was a better value. - Do you know where I'm going with this story?

3) Credibility

I don't know how easy it will be because of the quality of the service, but where you have your testimonials you should find out if you can link to the site owner or give an e-mail address to contact that person. I'm sure these are real customers of yours, but you're average surfer doesn't know you from a hole in the wall or your Testimonial People from a hole in the ground. Maybe offer a couple freebies to someone in exchange for a testimonial where you can link to them. It's going to make you look more credible.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13528 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

I'm struggling with why a forums would want to BUY posts. In my mind, this is creating something under false pretense.

For persuasion architecture to work, there has to be a clearly stated value proposition. There is mention of "quality posts to aid the growth of your forum". I didn't see any examples of posts. The testimonials could not be verified for validity. I couldn't find information on topics to be posted on, nor any qualifications other than being 16 and speaking English.

The payment page doesn't provide enough information on what the purchaser is getting. 40 posts and 10 threads on what topic?

The claim that this service increases exposure in search engines isn't backed up with any proof.

From the usability, desirability, persusive and credibilty angles, there is not enough information.

But I'm still struggling with why a forum owner would want to pay for posts. If we did that here, our reputation would be destroyed in an instant.

#4 MikeTheMike

MikeTheMike

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

Well said cr8pc...

Well I come from a Sales background, and if there's one thing I know is that for every seller there's always a buyer.

The best bet would be to promote your site to drive traffic there to get people to make their own posts. But hey! I can think of more then one website owner that would like to try to cut corners and if they think they can do that with a few posts in a forum or blog, then hey, go ahead and let them spend their web budget.

I mean look at some of the products and services over the years were absolutly useless ideas that make money:

1) The Pet Rock - Who needs a pet rock? I've got about 3000 pieces of merchandise in my back yard alone, but the guy that made it made millions.

2) The 'Buy Me a Coffee' sites that have been popping up everywhere - If you haven't seen them, people set up a site and the only content is links to buy people coffee. You'd think "Who in their right mind would do something stupid like that?"

Look how many people bought Barbara a coffee here: http://www.buybarbaracoffee.com/

3) Cookie Cutter Sites - Lets face it, a company sells cookie-cutter site, premade. You don't have access to change the content, you don't have the ability to change anything other then the basic design, maybe meta-tags but people spend $200-$500 all day long on cookie cutter sites. You'll never achieve a high page rank, your site is going to be EXACTLY the same as the other 10,000 site on the net sold by that one site, but people still buy them.

Don't Believe me? Check out these sites all by completly different owners:

http://www.plantin-hamilton.com/
http://www.miamibestprices.com/
http://www.evancodistribution.net/
http://www.rdc-dirtcheap.com/

I mean you can see how desperate some webmasters are to get traffic and to give their sites a kickstart. I mean there's 3,000,000 ebooks sold all over the internet on anything you can think of to drive traffic to websites. If someone asked me if they should go on and do that I couldn't find a reason why this would be a good idea, but if someone said to me "I'll give you $20 to post 20 blogs on my website" I'd be right there doing blogs.

I have to hand it to Papworth, if he can make money off it, I'd say all the power to him. If he doesn't take peoples money, someone else will.

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13528 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:42 PM

I understand your points, but seeing as how I am his target market (as a forums owner), I felt I should give feedback as such.

I was not sold on the idea of buying posts. What sort of quality what I be getting at 9 cents per post? If I own a forum on quantum physics, I would expect some expert posts. The type of forum is not addressed properly. Therefore, relevancy to the end user is an issue.

But for more web site review feedback, with an emphasis on conversions and user behavior:

1. There is no About Us or information about the company, why it offers this service, how long it has been doing so, where it is located, whom to contact for sales questions, etc.

2. There is no privacy policy. There are no terms and conditions. These are vital for ecommerce. What does the company do with private information?

3. There is one way to pay. Paypal is not International (it has restrictions in several countries.)

4. There are spelling errors on the site. For a site hiring writers, this is cause for credibility concern.

5.It takes up to 16 days for a response. No reason is offered.

6. From the writer's point of view, how do they get paid, when do they get paid, what kinds of posts are needed, is there a contract, how long is it, etc. What happens if they are not paid? What sort of guarantees are offered?

#6 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:16 PM

• Logo reminds me of the one from IAMS
  • Top banner feels empty with emphasis to the left, the logo, and absolutely nothing on the right
  • Text-only page feels a bit bland, bit empty
  • "Welcome to Wepay-Youpost.com!": this should not be your main message. Stores may have a welcome mat or a welcome sign, on websites they are not welcome
  • Quality assurance about the writers should not be an afterthought but have its own page as this will be a concern with many
  • That writers deliver you examples and the reason why they think you should work for you is not a quality assurance
  • The words "unique wear" on your customer satisfaction guaranteed logo suggest it comes from another site
  • No clear call to action
  • The FAQ seems to answer your questions: reads a lot like sales copy. Ask around to see what what be asked. My own questions? How am I guaranteed that you post? If I find the quality of a post below level, can I delete it and will you make an other, better, post? If I pay you to post on another forum than my own and a post gets deleted, will you make another one or issue a refund? How can you ensure quality posts not knowing the forum? Example: can you post authoritively on bass fishing as well as PHP object oriented coding?
  • FAQ and testimonial on the same page? Why?
  • No examples. Not even hypothetical ones.
  • Fails to convince, to sell... something lacks in the sales copy...
  • You focus my attention too much on other forum posting services. Sell yourself.

#7 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:50 AM

I'm with Kim.

But for any of you with ecommerce sites out there, I'm starting a paid shopping service. YouPay-IShop. You pay me $200 and I come and buy $40 worth of goods from you. Its the fast and easy way to start your customers rolling in with my super-supreme paid shopping service. :D

Site Review Please. This is the second website I have ever made, and it's a paid forum posting service.

Okay, I reviewed your site, and after due deliberation and careful consideration, I am happy to report that its a website. It is online and everything. Has pages, all that stuff.

What exactly do you want to know our opinions of?

The colours? The copy? The selling effectiveness? The code? The speed of the server? The uniqueness? What?

#8 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

Okay, I reviewed your site, and after due deliberation and careful consideration, I am happy to report that its a website. It is online and everything. Has pages, all that stuff.

That's a good one, Ammon :rofl:

Anyway, Papworth, you may check out a sticky of Tips for getting a better website review here for the next time you post here.

#9 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1884 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:29 AM

Any forum? Any subject?

Cosmology, child minding, criminal law, religion, technology, russian capitalism, architecture, education, intenet security, DVD players, fashion, ethics, DIY?

In any case, I think the whole concept is fraudulent, It's a bit like being paid to write letters to a newspaper on behalf of a pressure group.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users