Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

GIFs linking back to my site = SEO benefit?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blakekr

blakekr

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

If I essentially give away bandwidth so that sites A, B &C are displaying a GIF or a Flash file that's remotely hosted on my site, does this potentially amount to an SEO benefit? Appreciate your thoughts.

#2 mbongwe

mbongwe

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:06 AM

No, I don't think it will be of any use. The SEs value only a href= links. The img tag "src" will not add anything

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:12 AM

I have wondered about this myself as I have seen hotlinking pages referenced in my yahoo backlinks.

#4 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

There was a period in time, around middle to late 2001 IIRC, when Google was counting image src attributes rather like links. One could take 2 domains, and show images on one that were located on the other, to gain a cross-linking benefit that apparently bypassed all of the cross-linking checks and filters.

That's a long time back, but it does show that such 'oversights' can happen. On the other hand of course, it would be relatively easy to foresee search engines down-valuing sites that 'hotlink' in order to minimise potentially poor quality affiliate sites.

What that all means is that I wouldn't rely (or want) this happening much. It is a little too unpredictable from one month to another whether it could help you, or whether it could actually hurt you in a big way.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5517 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

There are lots of reasons that such hotlinking could occur outside of the affiliate sector..

people at ebay aggressively hotlink my images

people at myspace hotlink my images

legitimate bloggers hotlink my images

some .edu domains hotlink my images

In some ways these are votes for your domain and in other ways it is simply mooching BW.

#6 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:25 AM

That's a good question and I certainly don't have a definitive answer.

My hunch though is no, not in the case of images. I have the feeling that a remotely linked JavaScript would do better. Flash probably too. My idea is that if the object is merely indexed the way an image is, and remember that JPEG at least contains meta data the way a GIF does not, that it doesn't help a lot. That would make Flash a weak second but JavaScript a good first.

I base these impressions on Google's attention to JavaScript and URL's in JavaScript.

#7 blakekr

blakekr

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate your thoughts!

So generally, then, if you wanted to distribute a flash "widget" for linkback / SEO purposes, you might get the biggest kick by figuring out how wrap it in javascript.

Right? :)

#8 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I think you get a bigger kick out of putting the link in the noscript or noembed -- and an even bigger kick out of putting it in the HTML itself.

Most cases, if you offer a copy & paste people will copy & paste. Only some will remove these notices.

#9 blakekr

blakekr

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

Great points. Thanks tons!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users