• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sanity

sanity

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

I'm looking for some software that can give me a visual map of a website.

I have Trellian Site Mapper which is great for broken links and whatnot but I really want something that can give me an overview of the size and structure of a site visually.

Can anyone recommend anything?

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

For a smaller site, I like using Funnel Web Profiler

Yep, it's from the same company mentioned here:

http://www.cre8asite...showtopic=38467

It's the program listed at the bottom of this list:

http://www.quest.com...e_downloads.asp

I say that it's good for smaller sites, because it's a limited version, as a free download. But, I like the way it displays information about a site.

And, while it won't show everything for larger sites, the information it provides for those is still helpful.

#3 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Bill. I know of FW's Profiler - I was hoping for some other recommendations.

#4 projectphp

projectphp

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Well, I got nothing, but it sounds like a really good idea, and something well worth having, so if anyone does know, I'd be super curious.

BTW: do you want a prototyping tool Sophie, or an automated one? Because an automated one might have a few troubles truly knowing what goes where, and there are quite a few design tools for prototyping.

#5 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

I want something automated Mike. Basically if people are coming to me for re-designs I want a quick way to see the size and scope of their current site.

A company called Mercury Interactive, out of Sydney, used to have one years ago, which I bought at the time, but it doesn't run on XP and they don't seem to have upgraded it at any stage.

#6 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

A company called Mercury Interactive, out of Sydney, used to have one years ago, which I bought at the time, but it doesn't run on XP and they don't seem to have upgraded it at any stage.

A shame. My older version of Visio (pre-microsoft) would create a sitemap, too. Sadly, it doesn't run on Windows XP, and Visio 2003 IT Pro is fairly pricey. You might be able to find a copy on eBay for less.

#7 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

Good news: I have Vision 2003 pro Bill so I'll go take a look. :o

I'm not sure it's what I want though, I want it to display a map of the site graphically and Visio seems to be done by lists, I may be wrong though. Will report back.

I stand corrected. Bill, you're a superstar, that's exactly what I wanted!!!

Thanks. :notworthy:

#8 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:31 AM

Excellent news, Sophie.

I loved those Visio site maps. Maybe I'll dish out the money for a copy of the newer version myself. :o

#9 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

I'll let you know how I find it Bill.

I've always used Visio to visually map out sites for clients. Just never knew it did this too.

#10 labooks

labooks

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

1. My sitemap is linked from my homepage and all of the major pages. Is that the correct way?

2. How many links do you recommend to be on the sitemap? (I have 105 but I think they are organized ok.)

3. It was my understanding that the navigation bar was for people but the site map for search engines.
Is this correct?

4. Should the title of each link be the same as the title of the page?

This is my sitemap page.
http://www.learningb...et/sitemap.html

Since I already have a sitemap, is there an advantage of using something like
http://www.quest.com...e_downloads.asp
which was mentioned earlier?

#11 chriscbs

chriscbs

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

My difficulty with these tools is always that they work too well in a sense.

Most of the time when I want to take a look at the IA of a site, I'm most concerned with the primary navigation elements (primary, secondary, tertiary navigation). When you unleash most of these programs on a website, you end up with a visual representation of every link on the site (horizontal links, etc), and it's just represented as a jumbled mess.

I found one not long ago that made incredibly stunning visual representations of websites; almost like a 3d map of the universe. Very colorful and very cool to look at, but not at all useful.

Visio's automatic tool works fairly well, but it's still not usually what I'm looking for.

I looked for a long time but didn't really find anything. If you do, let us know! We always just take the time to map everything out in Visio by hand (it's a great job for an intern that's learning about this stuff!!).

#12 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Welcome to Cre8asite labooks and chriscbs! :wave:

labooks I think you're confusing a website Site Map with site mapping software, which is easily done as they have a similar name. We're talking about software that can help you "map out" the structure of your website. Kinda like an architect's blueprints.

The Site Map on your website looks pretty good from the quick look I took. If you want more advice you might want to start a separate thread.

chriscbs, so far I've still found Visio to be the best solution. Am always keeping my eyes open though. :)

#13 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Dreamweaver produces site the kind of sitemap you are talking about.
All you have to do is make sure you specify your homepage in the site management area.
There are several clever helpful visual options. It shows includes 'n' all and has different colours
for external links.
Itís completely effortless and free if you already own Dreamweaver, lets face it Ė most web designerís do
Except the one who canít use it, afford it, or claim to code in notepad exclusively. :)

It can handle maps sites, from very simple to complex. To view your site map you just need to click
on the icon indicated by the purple arrow.

Posted Image

HTHs

#14 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

Wow I never noticed that manager. Thanks!

manager

#15 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

manager, does that map translate into an XHTML page?

#16 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:18 AM

Hey kulpreet,

I think I can guess what youíre thinking - If it could be saved as an xhtml file you could use it to generate the kind of site map of referred to chriscbs. Alas this is not possible. You can only save it as a bitmap (.bmp)

Itís more of a visual alternative to the standard file list.

Edited by manager, 14 April 2007 - 04:22 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users