• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Pratt

Aaron Pratt

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

I notice that the talk about PR updates is less and less in the forums.

Does anyone have anything new to offer to help understand Google Page Rank?

Thanks

#2 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

Real PageRank, or the nonsense they send out to toolbars?

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Not much to care about. It can be useful for new sites to get some green, just to establish a little validity. Otherwise, it's pretty much a non-event, unless you are selling links based on PR.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5188 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

hmmm.... I still like to see what PR my sites and pages get. I know that it is not a primary ranking factor any more. I am not out getting a bunch of bogus links or buying sitewides to boost it so in that sense I feel that it is a genuine measure of connectivity. When I have PR8 I will still consider it an accomplishment.

Edited by EGOL, 14 July 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#5 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

I can't break above the PR5 mark. I don't have a single PR6 page I know of ;) That would be my accomplishment.

But as EGOL said. PR these days is a measure of how much Google cares about new sites or sections in a site. I'm happy that my new blog part of eKstreme.com now has a decent PR. I started in April, so I'm happy.

Otherwise, truly a non-event!

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5188 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

PR is probably a rough guide to the spider activity on a site. So, if you have high PR your updates will be found very fast and if you post new pages they should get into the SERPs quickly - if you link to them from a page with high PR.

#7 Aaron Pratt

Aaron Pratt

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

I am seeing some strange stuff, pr5 for index.php on a couple of my sites with PR6 internal pages. PR6??? Oh know, that might be too much PR!!!

Blog categories are acting as individual websites with their own rank (that is something to look at). My "garden gadgets" catergory is a PR6 so I add stuff to it just because it ranks but guess what? I have no proof for what I suspect!

Insane stuff and I have to admit Google is really losing me this time on this PR thing, if some SEO can make a better tool I am all over it EVEN IF it is just used for link bait, if it is better it wins, period.

And this goes for any metric Google wants to not be honest about, tired, really tired! ;)

#8 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

To me the TBPR has only two values - first, if it starts jumping around it is a good indication that something is going on with Google and secondly, if you are tyring to get quality links to your site some 'webmasters' will judge the link worthiness of your site based on how much green you show.

Bar those two reasons I really don't see any value or point to the TBPR.

#9 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

To me toolbar PR is a sure way to recognize "newbies" to SEO. The usual postings with "Google is broken: my 2 month old site still has no PR but I know it has many good links" are just classic :).

For those of you interested in seeing the relationship of PR and ranking, you might want to try my http://oy-oy.eu/goog...earchpr/go.aspx tool, which displays PR (or filters it) for any search you want (it uses the Google API to search, so you need a free key).

Isn't it interesting how Google has so many "tools" for SEO but they are all worthless for professionals? :)

I like Bob Mutch's ILQ - it would be interesting to compare ILQ to PR in rankings. Hmm... more fun ideas :)

John

#10 yannis

yannis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1634 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone have anything new to offer to help understand Google Page Rank?

Aaron I personally believe that the pagerank formula has not substantially changed from the equations as outlined in the original papers by Sergei and Page sometimes in 1998. However, all Google's patents talk about 'scoring algorithms' and almost 200 hundred other factors. This is where the difficulty lies as to determine what type of weight is given to each factor such as age of the domain etc.. To complicate matters further a lot of these factors are determined statistically from similar websites, i.e age of the domain might not be a major factor if all the websites in a particular field are only two years old or younger, similarly for all the other factors.

I agree with the other members that the toolbar PR does not relate to the real Pagerank. If you use the tool quoted by softplus (excellent by the way) and do a search for 'new york hotel' which I would imagine is a highly competitive search term you will observe that Pagerank has nothing to do with position in the SERPS with the No.2 position occupied by a PR 2 and the number 7 with a PR 0! The rest being PR 5 to PR 7.

My suggestion is to concentrate in getting enough quality links to approximate your competition. Concentrate on website content and I mean website not just the page as the new algos seem to factor the whole website content and not just a single page.

In a way is like trying to understand my ex. Predictable to an extent but totally illogical and unpredictable in many other respects! :)

Yannis

#11 gabs

gabs

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

The last 2 updates have been very useful in some respect..

I've noticed site that use or have used LV or coop have lost internal PR and only have hp PR..

Good indicator of a site not to link to or have links from ...

IMHO..

#12 AZApoker

AZApoker

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

good update

#13 thegypsy

thegypsy

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:52 AM

Hi, my name is Dave. And I, am an Algoholic

I followed a post I found (http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/) to this forum. It was a little reverse engineering on an article I have recently written.

I spouted some SEO heresy by denouncing the TBPR as little more these days than a toy Google uses to keep SEO folks busy NOT figuring out the algo. Ok, so I wasn’t all THAT hard on it, close though.
It started after the last ToolBar PageRank update. I got PR this..I got PR that…
I couldn’t even go to a forum any longer.

Anyways, after it hit SlashDot (and the proverbial, __ hit the fan) it became a Frankenstein and grew a life of it’s own. I now have the dubious honor of following it up with a sort of ‘farewell’ to the glory days of PageRank (re-Florida) and recap the madness that has been my life over the last 2 weeks skulking in and out of forums often with my keyboard between my legs.. for daring to mess with the LGB (little green bar). The ‘Cult of PR’ is a fearsome group.

Ya’ll folks seem to have a relative perspective to mine and I wondered if I could quote a line to 2 from your discussions here for part II (and last) Article on this ???
I would certainly produce a copy of the article prior to publishing for your editorial review. Nothing goes out unless you’re happy with the tenor of the article and any quotations to yourselves I may make.

Notables I have talked to this weekend in relation to Part Deux;

Matt Cutts
Danny Sullivan
Jill Whalen

I am waiting to hear back from a few other ‘luminaries’ but felt I should get back out and talk to SEO/Webmaster folks in the trenches again. I would assume small level providers (as my company is) have a greater reach as far as contact with the consumer.

That is the tale of how I got here…

For the article just Google "The Google Toolbar PageRank Demystified"

My name is Dave. I, am an algoholic

#14 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

Hi Algoholic Dave
You might also want to read through another recent thread on pagerank here. In my opinion, it's one of the better topics on pagerank out there.
John

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users