• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:45 AM

A guy complained about his bad experience with Google Checkout and Google sent him lots of goodies to make him feel better - http://www.kirb.com/...-sends-goodies/

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:35 AM

Where can I complain? :D

Edit: Is this a package of aspirin? :rofl:

Edited by softplus, 29 July 2006 - 04:37 AM.

#3 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:16 AM

I find it quite amusing that Google has so much branded stuff. I didn't know that!

#4 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

Dear Google,

I am writing to complain to you about my site's rankings. Please either:

1. send me lots of freebies to make me feel better or
2. boost my site to number 1 for all its keywords.

Sincerely,
Pierre

But seriously though: they've set a costly precedent. Now that everyone is expecting this kind of treatment, their tech support costs will skyrocket. If they start treating customers differently by not sending all of the same package, there'll be a revolt. It's a dangerous PR move, IMHO.

Pierre

#5 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

One thing I think is a bit strange here: they're sending the gifts to the end user. Buy.com probably won't see a thing (who knows, perhaps they're paying less as a large retailer anyway). That would be like sending mom + pop gifts for the "bad search experience" instead of the webmaster who's seeing it happen to his site daily. Oh well, PR is PR - I doubt Microsoft would ever send out gifts to end users :). They did this at christmas time as well. I don't want to see their giveaway-stock, I bet they have a lot :)

Would complaining about not having received any gifts help me get some? :D :D

John

#6 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hmmmm :D I reckon a faithful adwords client took a couple of snaps of his/her old G gifts and decided to go for the linkbait blog thing. Kudos for that.

Then again I might be wrong....

#7 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

But seriously though: they've set a costly precedent. Now that everyone is expecting this kind of treatment ...

Yes, expectations will be definitely be there, although Google only has to fulfill legitimate ones wherein they really did provide a poor service.

To digress a bit, psychologically, the best way to make a complainer feel better is to show that you have been paying attention to him / her. Women know this best - cribbing or complaining is actually part of their characteristic makeup which they use to actually feel closer to people. Unfortunately us poor men don't understand this, and instead of listening and empathising immediately start offering solutions which frustrates them more because now they start thinking that the other person believes that she can't handle the problem ... dicey thing thing, dealing with women. :)

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

Unfortunately us poor men don't understand this, and instead of listening and empathising immediately start offering solutions which frustrates them more because now they start thinking that the other person believes that she can't handle the problem

You've been reading Men are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, haven't you? LOL

I've been reading The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
by Malcolm Gladwell . This Goolge situation illustrates perfectly what the book is about. It's an interesting book for anyone with marketing on their minds :)

#9 increseo

increseo

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

Lol. Look at how fast the complaining party changed his mind :D

#10 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

Schwag is fine but there was not one line of explanation or encouragement to try Google Checkout again...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users