Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Does google treat "hacker safe" sites differently?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:32 AM

Our scan alert rep said it would help our google rank to buy the daily scan package and place the emblem on the site.
I asked him to elaborate but he could not convince me but he remained adamant.
Does anyone have any information about such things.
They do place your link, with anchor text, in a directory.
Could links from bonafide scanning companies be worth more like the way some people feel links from edu. sites are more valuable in weight for google ranking.

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

To tell you the truth, I might have given a different answer yesterday than I would today.

There's a possibility that the right signals coming from a page could make a difference. By itself, I'm not sure that something like this would make a difference, but in conjuction with other things, maybe.

I hadn't heard this before, and I would ask the representative if he could elaborate. Since he made the claim, he should be able to back it up in some way, or he should stop making such claims.

#3 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:49 AM

Nobody can promise you Google rankings ;)

If you feel cheeky, ask them for this particular promise in writing, and ask them to state what they will do if it is not kept. They likely won't give it to you -- and if they do, cash in on it ;)

Google doesn't care if your site has patches from "Hacker-Safe" or from "ChaosComputerClub" on it - it doesn't make a difference. The value of their directory is - in terms of link-value - likely also very minimal. It's also probably close to worthless in terms of visitors (ask them for references and ask them about traffic from that directory - they probably don't even know it exists).

Just my 2 cents :) -- I don't know the company in question, but I doubt they have a special deal with Google. Sales people sometimes say the darndest things :) :)

John

#4 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:55 PM

Actually Google kind of advises against this sort of thing.

You should never have to link to an SEO.

Avoid SEOs that talk about the power of "free-for-all" links, link popularity schemes, or submitting your site to thousands of search engines. These are typically useless exercises that don't affect your ranking in the results of the major search engines -- at least, not in a way you would likely consider to be positive.

Googl'e Webmaster Help Center

I know the guy isn't strictly-speaking an SEO but he is selling you an SEO benefit so I'd say this applies Of course if the "emblem" isn't a link, never mind.

But I bet it is! :)

#5 aethernet

aethernet

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

HackerSafe gets you a few links from the HackerSafe website and this is probably what the rep is talking about. Whether or not those help you with Google depends on several things. How many links does your site currently have? 1000+ links? probably won't help. 4 links maybe...

Also, the reps can wheel and deal on prices. Tell him to call you back in a few days so you can think about it and beat him up on prices. I think I got my for $20.00 per month with over 100k per month in revenue.

BTW my conversion ratio didn't budge.

#6 Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

aethernet,

Where did you place your logo?

I've heard from many sources that having the HackerSafe logo has helped to increase conversions. Especially noted when the logo was moved from the footer to the header of the page.

for $20/month, i guess it might be worth it....

#7 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

Wouldn't a hacker-safe logo work as a major h4x0R magnet?

PS: you can make your own logo for nowt :( BTW

#8 SEOMonkey

SEOMonkey

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

Hey,

The company I work for is thinking about integrating Scan Alert services into our system. I will know more in the next couple of weeks, but here is what I have right now:

ScanAlert is the world’s largest website security certification company who conducts rigorous daily security audits to help make websites secure from hackers, provides certification information so site visitors will feel safer and more comfortable on your site. The certification provided indicates that member sites are compliant with the highest possible Industry website security standards.

My understanding is we would pitch this service as a security/conversion aid rather than an SEO aid.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users