• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 praveen

praveen

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:21 AM

The Corbis photo agency has filed a lawsuit against TemplateMonster.com and Ultravertex.com, web sites it claims are engaged in large-scale piracy of stock photos. The lawsuit, filed in the Federal District Court in the Southern District of Florida, seeks $109 million in damages.

Corbis accuses TemplateMonster of selling web site templates that include Corbis stock photos, thereby infringing on Corbis's copyrights and encouraging customers to do the same. It also accuses Ultravertex of running a stock photo subscription service priced at $49.95 for a six-month membership that re-licensed Corbis photographs without authorization. In total, 623 Corbis images were available through the sites, the lawsuit says.

full story

#2 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

109 million for 623 images? Pricey images those.

Found this bit disturbing

The judge granted permission for the lawsuit to be served to Lognikov via e-mail, something that is extremely unusual.

#3 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

Maybe 109 million is a bit steep, but it sends a clear message to those who think it's ok to steal other people's work and make money out of it.

TreV

#4 vangogh

vangogh

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:57 AM

That is pretty steep though I'm sure there was some way the damages were calculated to arrive at that figure. It is a clear message over copyright infringement or will be once the case is settled.

I doubt even a case with this kind of price tag will end up keeping people from 'borrowing' other's work online. Seems something we're just going to have to live with in some form much the way theft is built into the budget of most retailers.

On a tangent, having looked behind the code of some of those template monster templates and seen far too many of the designs, I can't say I would be sorry to see less of them online.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users