• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:13 AM

On my last move I discovered some of the testimonials I had received when I worked at my first business 3-4 years ago. It it ethical to use these for my current business? They are addressed to me personaly and write about my accomplishments.

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:34 AM

Why not use them, at least together with a date (or just the year)? It always sounds good to have old, good references as well as current ones - it makes the person appear more "stable" (ie not one of those newbies who just managed to read through "Learn SEO/Webmastering in 7 days").

John

#3 joedolson

joedolson

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Technical Administrators
  • 2902 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

I think older testimonials go a long ways to demonstrate your background in the business - they show that you've been around, you've been doing good work for a long time, you have that critical element - experience.

Since these testimonials are addressed to you specifically, they should be fine - even if it wasn't the same type of business, certain facets of character and the like are always valuable. If you were a honest, ethical, and efficient dealer of used washing machines those traits are still real even when you've moved into engineering precision watches.

The only way I'd see any real problem with older testimonials would be if you didn't have any NEWER testimonials to go along with them - I'm always a bit suspicious of people who only have recommendations which are several years old. It makes you wonder whether they've stopped keeping up with the industry, or just haven't been working, etc.

#4 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Old ones are fine, especially if you have ones since then to show a steady progression.

I would get permission to publish them first though, unless you publish them without the name / company involved. Unless they were given on the understanding that you were going to stick them on the www :D

#5 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

I agree about asking for permission before publishing them.

From a practical standpoint, if you include information about who made the testimonials, you want to make sure that if anyone contacts them, they won't be surprised by someone getting in touch with them about you.

I do think that they show experience, and can be helpful. Combined with some recent testimonials, they can be a nice way of letting people know more about you in a positive manner.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users