• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:15 AM

Anyone here experienced in using Contribute 3? Cause I am not....

Have a client whose website was built by a designer who used a HTML dropdown jump menu to allow access to other parts of the website yet keep the design of the page tidier without resorting to a great long list.

Can Contribute allow a user to add or edit the choices inside the Jump menu or is it only capable of adding pages, text and images. Can you access HTML code directly in Contribute in any way?

Daz

#2 sonjay

sonjay

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

Well, yes, sort of, probably.

There's a setting that can be configured when creating Contribute's site connection to allow the C3 user to edit "form elements" -- I've never used that, and I don't know how it would work in editing a dropdown menu, but it sounds like it should.

If, however, this dropdown menu is used on multiple pages, the C3 user would have to visit every page and edit each page individually -- which can get quite time-consuming and is also more likely to result in errors.

If the dropdown menu is used on multiple pages as an include file, C3 has a feature to allow the user to edit code using an external program -- where the user would have to specify Notepad or Textpad or whatever to be the external text editor, then browse (on the server) for the included file, then edit the actual code.

If the dropdown menu is used on multiple pages as part of an uneditable region in a Dreamweaver template, the C3 user can't touch it -- If the site is built using DW templates, you have to use DW to edit the template areas.

#3 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

If, however, this dropdown menu is used on multiple pages, the C3 user would have to visit every page and edit each page individually -- which can get quite time-consuming and is also more likely to result in errors.

If the dropdown menu is used on multiple pages as an include file, C3 has a feature to allow the user to edit code using an external program -- where the user would have to specify Notepad or Textpad or whatever to be the external text editor, then browse (on the server) for the included file, then edit the actual code.

Sonjay

Yes the dropdown menu is on multiple pages - how many depends on how many products - they are adamant they wish to do it themselves and not leave it to me.

The include file option sounds of interest but I doubt the users would want to start coding... think they may have to come to a compromise but I shall look into.

Thanks for the detailed response though! :)

Daz

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users