9 replies to this topic

#1 Tomc

Tomc

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

So this is my first post - be gentle! :-)

I have been doing SEO for a few months now but still feel very much like I'm still learning...

Here's the question:

When performing a link building campaign, how effective is it to gain links from entirely non-relevant sites but which share some words from your keyphrase?

I'll use an example - if I'm trying to get links for a site about Football Boots and the keyphrase I wish to target is 'Football Boots' then how useful is it to gain links from sites which are about 'Hiking Boots'?

Will this help? Both mention the word 'Boots' but are not really relevant to each other... What about if the two keyphrases were totally disparate? Can't think of an example off the top of my head for this but I'm sure one will come to me.

Thanks,

Tom

#2 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

Hi Tom C

Welcome to the forum. :)

I would say that linking from a hiking boot to a footboot website is a relevant link.
In fact I wouldn't hesitate to get a link from any "boot" website at any time if I was promoting football boots (or any kind of boots).

If say you were linking from a site - say for instance a site about cans of baked beans then THAT would likely be an irrelevant link as there's no apparent connection. But I'd bet theres someone here who can see one! ;)

My own take would be to not just target the keyword phrase "football boot" - I'd wrap another word into that anchor text (maybe buy, nike, affordable, professional... you get the idea) and make it more of a niche.

Concentrate on the quality of the link - i.e. ask yourself if a site user saw your football boot link how likely would they click on it and then on the relevancy...

My take on it anyway....

Daz

#3 increseo

increseo

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

I would welcome any link, as long as it's not links from the bad neighbourhood.

#4 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

I aggree - if it is a good site, get the link.

Side Note: As an avid football fan and even a player in highschool, I have never heard of the term 'football boot' applied to the foot gear used in a game. Is this a soccer term? Else you may need some thought to make it work wel in the American market...

-Jeff

#5 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

You might need to think about what it means to be "non-relevant". Relevancy isn't a function of whether a site is on the same topic as yours; simply whether it's reasonably related.

If a site had to be identical in order to be considered relevant, linking would be ridiculously difficult - but making connection between two different types of boots is totally reasonable.

If the connecting term is a purely descriptive adjective, the sites probably aren't sufficiently relevant:

"blue raincoats" and "blue heeler". One site is about outdoor gear, the other is about dogs. Blue is NOT a significant relating factor. However:

"dancing lessons" and "dancing slippers" or "dancing lessons" and "piano lessons" are both reasonably relevant.

One key thought is to think about whether a customer might benefit from the link: it's highly unlikely that somebody looking for a raincoat is also looking to buy a dog. However, it's reasonably likely that somebody looking for dancing lessons might also need the appropriate footwear, or that they might be interested in other arts lessons.

For your example, it's not unreasonable that somebody looking for football boots might also be interested in buying some other type of boot - they're in the mode of looking for footwear, maybe they need something more than just football boots. It's not the best link; and it's not the MOST relevant link; but it's still reasonable.

#6 Tomc

Tomc

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses - very informative.

Regarding the specifics of optimising for the term 'football boot' - this was just a generic example, it's not the actual term I'm looking to link build for. (side note - do people round here generally post the exact sites and terms they're optimising for? is there any problem with doing this if I'm doing the optimisation for the place I work?)

So if I understand correctly Google is able of differentiating between words like 'football' and 'blue' and determining that 'football boot' and 'hiking boot' are related while 'blue raincoats' and 'blue heeler' are not related? If this is the case then this goes a long way to answering my question.

Thanks,

Tom

PS - Yeah football boot is a soccer term, I'm UK based hence my using it :-)

#7 Adrian

Adrian

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't necessarily agree.

If the site was about football shirts only, while you only do football boots. Then yes, it's a good link.

But if you only do football boots, and they only do hiking boots, I can't really see the cross over?

If people are interested in football boots, I don't see how they are ending up on a site about hiking boots specifically.....

If I were a webmaster of a hiking boots site, I might read over link request emails from other people about other aspects of hiking, or perhaps cycling (mountian biking) for instance, maybe cross country running....

But an email from someone running a site solely about football related items? That's a veyr tenuos link in my mind.

#8 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

Regarding the specifics of optimising for the term 'football boot' - this was just a generic example, it's not the actual term I'm looking to link build for

I don't think there was any real assumption that you were actually optimizing for these terms; but since it was the test sample you gave, it was also the best option for experimenting with.

I can't speak to whether Google specifically can examine phrases to see whether they're related, but they can certainly identify whether sites are related - and generic terms such as colors, numbers, etc., can easily be eliminated from the category of terms which are considered related, whereas articles of clothing, cities, animals, etc., may easily be associated and shown to be relevant.

Does that answer your question?

#9 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't necessarily agree.

If the site was about football shirts only, while you only do football boots. Then yes, it's a good link.

But if you only do football boots, and they only do hiking boots, I can't really see the cross over?

Adrian

I was only using football and hiking boots as an example for the posters question. I'd still work towards getting a link between the two you suggest too.

In fact there's a whole world out there of links that could be of benefit - not from a search engine point of view but from a user point of view.

Daz

PS I go mountain walking and you'd be surprised how many of us hikers are into footie... so you never know what frame of mind a purchaser may be in when looking for "boots"...

#10 viggen

viggen

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Hmm, where does it say only theme related links are relevant?

To use the football example;
You have a fansite about a local soccer club, and you exchange links with a pizzeria in town.
Soccer and Restaurant, not really relevant, however, this place is the prefered hang out for the local soccer players and fans, so imo highly relevant for the visitors of the site...

cheers
viggen

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users