#1 projectphp

projectphp

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:06 AM

That, and it would be self promotion :)

In any case, Ammon has put together a new form of training:
SEO Intern Training and SEO Intern Scholarships.

Feedback and comments welcomed (And appreciated).

#2 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

He told me these were coming... Lets hope I can get on the list... Actually lets hope I can convince my current contract company to subsidise it :rofl: :flowers:

#3 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

That's an immense opportunity for people willing to learn SEO or improve their skills. If someone asks me if I know a programme to learn SEO, I will sure send them your way Ammon. :)

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

I'm visualizing how cool it would be for students to be able to say, "I interned with Ammon Johns" in a job interivew. In the industry, there isn't much opportunity for something like this. There is little formal education, many misunderstandings by businesses on what SEM is and its hard to know who to hire.

The programs dreamed up by Fresh Egg will have long term benefits and offer, I think, integrity to an industry still surrounded in mytery.

Congratulations to Fresh Egg!

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Kim, (and everyone else too of course).

to be able to say, "I interned with Ammon Johns" in a job interivew

They can actually put us down as previous work experience on their CV, and if they say so, we'll provide a reference to any company they ask us to, just as with an employee. Whatever the value in saying they interned with me (allow me my modesty), it can only be helped by the fact I can provide a job reference for them. :blink:

Of course, this training isn't just for people wanting to get a start in the SEO industry itself. It can also offer a great deal of value to web developers and designers who want to know what we'd do with their sites, so they can do it themselves.

It is even a valuable course for people who intend to manage outsourced SEO campaigns, of course, because it gives unrivalled inside insight into how a professional SEO company runs, how it delivers value to clients, and how it integrates effectively. Any manager who managed to find time to take this course would be a powerhouse of knowledge in what SEO services really add value, how to best manage integration and performance, and all kinds of issues, because they understand both sides of the equation.

#6 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Oi, oi, oi; I'm sending some mozzers out there and I expect it will be the best travel dollars we've ever spent. I'm hoping they come back not just with experience in SEO, but badass South London eyebrow patterns and thick accents, too.

It's an amazing opportunity - I'm guessing Ammon will be raising those prices very, very soon. The month-long internship in particular is probably the closest you can get to guaranteeing yourself a highly paid position in SEO right from the start.

#7 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:29 AM

Oi, oi, oi; I'm sending some mozzers out there and I expect it will be the best travel dollars we've ever spent. I'm hoping they come back not just with experience in SEO, but badass South London eyebrow patterns and thick accents, too.

Well, if you really insist, I know some great tattoo artists in Brighton... :rofl:

I'd be almost surprised if they don't come back with some great new words in their vocabulary, or at least new usages for words. Soon, they too will be referring to a 'numpty', or a 'link dropping muppet', and all in the right accent for maximum effect of course. :)

Regarding the prices, we really don't want to raise them if there is any alternate way we can find to manage demand. We really want this course to remain practically free and thus accessible to those without big budgets and savings. The cost for the standard Internship really is going on the expenses such as accommodation, resources used, the printing of materials they get, etc. We're not providing this training as a business model, but as an investment in the future of the industry.

That said, if there is demand, we are thinking of providing a 1-Week "Intensive Imersion" course, for those who cannot afford to contemplate spending two weeks. (i.e. for those people where 2 weeks away from their main job is costing them way more than 1,000 and is impractical). If so, then that one will carry a significantly higher cost, because it does take up even more of our work time. I can't easily see a price for that one being possible at any lower than 2,500 for the week simply because we'd be spending the entire working day with the trainee in this scenario (only possible way to try to cram a two-week programme of content into just one week) and thus losing a lot of productivity.

Once we have measured the impact on our business, the satisfaction of trainees, and generally determined if this is a practical idea for other leading SEO companies to think about, we'll share as much of that information as we can, hoping that other leading SEOs can then provide similar opportunities to invest in the future pool of talent, all around the world.

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

A spectacular opportunity!!!!!

#9 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, Dave.

This whole thing excites the heck out of me. No other company I have been with would have been willing to have undertaken this kind of initiative - not without slapping a high-profit revenue stream into it to justify the risk and costs.

The level of faith, vision, and support that the Directors at Fresh Egg have lent to this whole project is just wonderful. It is their gift, because it is they that pay for the time of myself and Lee Colbran (himself one of the Directors), the office space, and indeed the clients. So it is to them that any thanks must really go. I merely had the idea - it is Fresh Egg that has made an idea into a reality.

:applause:

#10 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

Quick update:

Rebecca from SEOmoz arrived in London five days prior to starting training and seems to have enjoyed herself.
Day 1 was yesterday. She's already teasing Rand about staying here. Who'd have thought that brown sauce and tea were so attractive? :D

#11 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

Excellent news.

I hope that Rebecca has a great time, and learns a lot, and gives your intern training program glowing reviews.

Nice posts, Rebecca.

What is this brown sauce, exactly? I think the Ketchup industry has effectively kept it from crossing the Atlantic.

#12 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

This program is an amazing opprotunity for anyone serious about SEO. Imagine scientists being trained by Newton, or Watson and Crick, or Alexander Fleming. No doubt it's that kind of level.

What is this brown sauce, exactly? I think the Ketchup industry has effectively kept it from crossing the Atlantic.

Ask Rebecca to bring some over for you.. and some marmite too.

Rebecca: Welcome to Blighty. I'm glad the English Weather™ has been welcoming enough for you.

#13 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

I'm not sure if TSA would let "brown sauce" through security. It sounds dangerous.

We sure do miss Rebecca over here in Seattle, but at least she's missing the worst 7-day stretch of weather I can recall. Thanks for your hard work and generosity, Ammon :)

#14 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

I think you'll find the generosity is yours. :) There'll be more than one SEO or web developer reading about this and just wishing their boss were as generous and caring of their employees as to provide them such opportunities.

However, I'm making sure she brings plenty back for everyone. :)

#15 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

What a great endeavour. :applause:

.. and Rebecca's blog entries are certainly a great way to get a feeling for what it's all about.

I don't think the U.S. is missing anything by not having brown sauce. Now 'custard'. There's a different story. :)

#16 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

Now 'custard'. There's a different story.

Custard is gold. It gave us vla :)

By the way, is this intern thing a one-timer or an ongoing or recurrence project?

#17 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:52 AM

It is completely ongoing, Ruud. Just as Rebecca will finish her training, the next person, BJWright, is arriving (from Idaho) to take up a full length Scholarship offering and will be with us until mid-December.

We wind down over the Christmas period, (clearing projects so that we can relax for the holidays), so have avoided booking in any interns until after the New Year. But in January the next intern will hopefully be coming in to study. We have enquiries up to March so far, but haven't made final decisions for anything after the New Year yet. A certain flexibility to take the most deserving, the ones who can benefit the most, has always been intended.

I'm looking forward to reading Rebecca's write up as much as anyone. With just as little idea of what to expect. Of course I hope the whole experience will be something that thrills her. But I'm also looking for any criticisms, or areas for improvement. I'm even a little nervous, but don't tell her. :)

#18 Rebecca Kelley

Rebecca Kelley

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

Too late, Ammon, because I just found out! I'll definitely use your nerves for leverage...just kidding ;)

#19 joedolson

joedolson

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Technical Administrators
  • 2902 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

Heh ... can't keep secrets on the internet!

Welcome to Cre8asite, Rebecca! Hope you stick around! Looking forward to your write-up, though: your summary report on your trip at SEOMoz was hilarious!

(Ammon's really just trying to get more people involved here, right? The whole "SEO Training" thing is just a red herring...)

#20 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

Welcome, Rebecca. What a rare opportunity to study with one of the best. You're a lucky woman.

#21 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

Good to see you here, Rebecca.

I do hope that you are enjoying yourself tremendously.

Great writeup on the journey so far.

#22 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:11 AM

Good to see you here, Rebecca. :wave:

I always like blogs that tell it like it is. Keep 'em coming. ;)

#23 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

Almost half the way through the internship now, and still so much to cover.

So far, Rebecca has:
1) Learned a little about the variety of business models and practices, ranging from agency to in-house, and from fully-managed outsource to partnership based consultancy. Then she got to see the practical application by seeing how we put together a plan for a client that asked "How would you suggest we best use a 1.5 million budget for the year?"

2) Learned about using analytics to detect and measure the differences (if any) of small changes, and applied this in the tricky case of a website that has massive seasonal fluctuations anyway, as well as a growing campaign.

3) Learned about the importance of effective client communication, and of building effective client relationships where you are a part of their team and supply chain.

The communication I speak of here is not only in our making clients aware of what we can do, and how we can serve, but also in gathering their brief in effective detail, and truly understanding their needs, metrics, and KPIs. She attended and participated in a client consultancy session that discussed matters ranging from the top-level aims of a campaign, to the specifics of roles, reporting, and how to blog.

4) Today, we've been working further on analytics, but with the specific objectives of understanding trends, and of benchmarking the position of a client so that we can measure growth both as an absolute, and by comparing to key competitors.

5) This first week will end with presenting the analytics report to a client, explaining what it means, and discussing with the client what may be done to refine the campaign in light of the analytical findings.

Still to come we have some hands-on optimisation work on a dynamic (database driven website), a more detailed look at 'search psychology' and conversion factors, and a whole lot more.

I'll definitely use your nerves for leverage...

You see, this is why you need training - you can't blackmail me until after I have lost the power to flunk you. Wait until you have your certificate (and don't want our reference) and then you can lean on me. :D

#24 David Temple

David Temple

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:34 PM

I can't get enough info about Rebecca's trials and tribulations and I should have been paying more attention to this forum. More meat and less potatoes than fresh egg's blog. I still like my blog title though. Oh well live and learn. Reallly like the ideas of understanding "trends" whether they be seasonal or otherwise and "search psychology" which I imagine goes way beyond keywords and delves more into search behavior. I had a sense your training was beyond the garden variety sem seo training and I was right.

#25 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

Mr. Temple! It is a pleasure to have you join us at Cre8asite! Your passion for education matches that of many of us here... :banana:

Welcome!

#26 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

Welcome to Cre8asite, David :wave:

Well, the final day of the first Internship is approaching and we all wait with baited breath to see if Rebecca graduates with flying colours, and to see how she rates her experience with Fresh Egg and SEO on this side of the Atlantic...

Less than 24 hours now until our first Intern 'passes out' (and I'm not referring to the after-course drinking bout). :)

I know that I'm excited about it. How about you?

#27 Abhishek

Abhishek

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

Wow, I need to look through the forums a bit more. I am missing out on a lot of awesome stuff!

This for sure is a brilliant opportunity for people out there looking to improve their skills :( Congrats to you Ammon and all the very best wishes :)

The "So far, Rebecca has:" was really interesting, gives a spectacular insight of this course and it for sure does look "GOOD"

And the

You see, this is why you need training - you can't blackmail me until after I have lost the power to flunk you. Wait until you have your certificate (and don't want our reference) and then you can lean on me.

part was interesting too :) Counter Blackmailing ? Hehe!

Btw, Welcome Rebecca and David :) Good to have you guys here ...

And yeh, an advance Congratulation to the First Intern ... would love to read her take on the course, which am sure is gonna be ... well you know ;)

Cheers

Edited by Abhishek, 17 November 2006 - 03:08 AM.

#28 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:53 AM

Yes its very interesting reading Rebeccas progress.... and will be even more interesting for some people reading her afterthoughts about the whole experience :)

#29 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Ammon,

Sounds like an excellent experience.

Something I hope grows and develops further.

#30 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks, Travis.

It is something I am genuinely enjoying, and genuinely proud of too.

So rare that the most enjoyable things are also something we can be proud of... :) Beer drinking, fry-up eating, smoking, and many other small joys, have all become guilty pleasures in modern living.

#31 TCSM

TCSM

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:12 AM

Full English breakfast fry-ups with a small lake's worth of coffee - my guilty pleasure...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users