• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:14 AM

Doing some backlink research I noticed a chap in Indonesia has lifted an article that I wrote and placed on my website.

He has it on what appears to be a blog. Now he does link to it (right) at the end and he does state that I am the author however I am concerned he has not asked to do this.

What are the general legalities of lifting content from someone elses page and then putting it on a blog?

I'm all for links pointing my way but having the whole page lifted takes the biscuit... or should I just "let it go"?

Daz

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:10 AM

This is just gut feeling, so feel free to disregard it :( - I do not have a legal background :)

If the other party is in Indonesia and perhaps even hosted there, then I would be surprised if you had any kind of simple legal recours against the person who copied the article. You could send DMCA complaints, but I bet they would just laugh at you and ignore it.

I would try to take it with a different approach. The webmaster / blogger who did this might have done it more or less in good faith, considering that he added your name and placed a link to the original. If someone is just out to copy content, they wouldn't bother with that... Assume for a moment he's just someone who likes your article enough to copy it for his blog: I am almost certain that you could talk to him about it and find a mutually acceptable solution.

Try to turn the problem into a win-win situation: How can he help you while you help him at the same time? Maybe he can translate your articles into other languages? Maybe he is willing to help you promote your site (or company, services, ideas, cause, whatever) locally?

If you just go out and attack him with legal documents and phrases, he'll most likely put up a block and either ignore you or even worse - go after more of your content and take it without giving you recognition for it.

Cheers
John

#3 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

If you just go out and attack him with legal documents and phrases, he'll most likely put up a block and either ignore you or even worse - go after more of your content and take it without giving you recognition for it.

John

Yes thats highly likely to happen.

Thing is if I did that, to say take a whole article from someone elses website and then put it on my blog (regardless if I was going to link to it or not) I suppose I would have the common courtesy to ask first...

I really feel I want to email them and ask them politely to remove my article.

Why?

Because I think it is plagarism regardless of the link to me or not... its not even though they have used extracts from the article and then commented on that. Its just my complete article from my website dropped onto their blog page without any prior permission for me.

To be honest with them based in Indonesia and me in the UK I really doubt they'd honour my request... and with the distance across time zones I cannot see they could help me here anyway.

I know, I know a negative viewpoint but thats 'cause I'm in a reasonably foul mood with man flu this morning. (ok a cold then!)

I'm wondering if I was to lift whole pages of content say from Rand's, Barry's, Ammon's, Bill's or Kim's site and then put that on my blog as a whole article with one measly link at the end back to them whether they would be happy for me to do that without asking first (and I mention your sites specifically as I hold all of you in the highest regard).

Daz

PS I do not intend to and would not take anyones work from anyones site and put that as content on my blog - just to make things reeeaallly clear. :ph34r:

#4 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

I do agree that it's not 'nice' for someone to lift an entire article, even if it is credited, but I also agree with John about coming to some sort of compromise to create a win-win situation. Personally I'd ask the person to remove all but a paragraph of the article and change the link to "To read the rest, visit ...." because that generates interest in your article on YOUR site. Whether or not they'd go ahead with that is of course another story. :D

Edited by Jem, 03 October 2006 - 07:36 AM.

#5 Cath

Cath

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi

Hope you get it sorted Daz, a compromise would probably be the best way to go as other have suggested, but I agree it's very annoying when this happens. My website has had an article lifted as well, I requested that they remove it and place a link to the site instead and they did, however a friend of mine has had her whole site lifted, articles, pictures, the whole thing by a polish site, and they are so far refusing to take it down which is really frustrating for her. The reply she had back from them was that if they take down everything they have taken from her site they would have no site left!! So are not prepared to do it, they like the site and want to keep it!! The cheek of some people :D

Anyway hope you get it sorted and your man flu, ( or sniffle if we're honest) gets better soon :P

Cath

#6 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

( or sniffle if we're honest)

LOL... oh woe is me.... even the wife (at work in London) doesn't want to know... :D

Daz

PS I'll try a polite email to them and see if that works but I am not going to lose sleep over it too much...

#7 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

What are the general legalities of lifting content from someone elses page and then putting it on a blog?

I'm all for links pointing my way but having the whole page lifted takes the biscuit... or should I just "let it go"?

I've had that happen more than a couple of times.

I've sent out emails to the authors a few times.
I've reported the pages as spam to search engines a few times.
I've done some DMCA reports to the search engines a few times.
I've ignored some.

I don't think that it matters where the site is located for purposes of a DMCA report, since you are sending those to the search engines rather than the site owners.

The best resolution is building a positive relationship with the folks using your content if possible. But, that isn't always possible, and doesn't always happen.

I'm all for helping others with their blogs, pointing to new ones, encouraging authors to find their own unique voices and perspectives. It's discouraging to see when all someone can do is copy your work, and sometimes provide a link back to your site, but it does happen.

I'd encourage anyone who is attempting to blog in that manner - copying other people's posts and linking to them, to only copy small snippets, provide a link, and create some additional value in some manner that builds upon that other post and adds to it in some way. That's how you get percieved in a positive light by others, and attract links to your site.

#8 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

I'd let it go. So far I have seen one of my more popular articles translated into 8 languages, appear in iframes at other sites and quoted from *heavily*. As long as the site owner gives me credit I'm ok with it - not happy per say but ok. The work to stop them isn't worth the time investment. Every couple months I discover someone new that has copied me though they usually give me the correct attribution. This can only help my reputation, etc. and if someone else wants to promote me... why stop them?

Now if they claim it as their own, or start to outrank me in the SERPs I have a problem. Otherwise, why worry?

#9 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

...or start to outrank me in the SERPs

Thats what would REALLY annoy me... right now I don't see it being a factor but I intend to keep an eye on it.

Daz

#10 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

In general, I agree with rmccarley. If they give you credit and link back to you then enjoy the link. If they have stolen your content, don't give you credit and don't link to you then go after them.

I doubt that you will have any success trying to get a page taken down on an indonesian website if it is owned by an individual. The only success that I have had overseas is when a university department in Pakistan copied about 30 pages of my site verbatim and put it on their website with no credit or link given to me. I went straight to their head of academic affairs and the content was taken down right after he received my message (but it took a few attempts here because he was using a free email service and his inbox was full).

#11 fathom

fathom

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

In general, I agree with rmccarley. If they give you credit and link back to you then enjoy the link. If they have stolen your content, don't give you credit and don't link to you then go after them.

I doubt that you will have any success trying to get a page taken down on an indonesian website if it is owned by an individual. The only success that I have had overseas is when a university department in Pakistan copied about 30 pages of my site verbatim and put it on their website with no credit or link given to me. I went straight to their head of academic affairs and the content was taken down right after he received my message (but it took a few attempts here because he was using a free email service and his inbox was full).

A little late to the discussion but:

1. If the article is on your website, and the infringing website links to you - the chance of penalty for dup content is very good. [IMHO forget the link]

2. It worth noting that "origin content" is worth more... and will likely become increasingly more important over time... a single link cannot compare.

3. When doing dmca... do a complete "blackout" all 3 search engine, host, and a C&D to the company itself... that ensures that if they do not address this matter their website is pretty much screwed.

#12 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

I'd just send a note to give me credit, if there is none, first. A link from a relevant page (albeit mine) might help.

Secondly, the copying website will be affected by the duplicate filter (unless you are a small one and the other site is trusted more).

Other than that, I don't see huge issues with my content being copied without credit. The site, whose marketing strategy is to copy content, will go out of business within a year or two.

#13 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:43 AM

The site, whose marketing strategy is to copy content, will go out of business within a year or two.

You are more than likely right. I've looked around the "offending" site but there does not seem to be any contact details so I'm going to have forget about it for now until I decide to delve a bit deeper and see if I can find out who it is (from reading the site she says she is a single mom but there are no contact details)

Daz

#14 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

How would you feel if you had spent $1000 to create the article that was copied? There are lots of articles on the web that have that creation cost - and some much higher.

#15 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

Let's see. If I have spent that much on an article, it has to be published somewhere. If so, there has to be an author box. Sometimes, content thieves include the box, but remove the links. So, I get readership at least.

Suppose that someone copied the article entirely without any kind of credit (or even published under his own name). Then I'll send him an e-mail asking to give me credit.

If he persists and doesn't give me credit nor remove the article, I'll send a DMCA to Google.

Though I don't have heart feelings about content thieves and stolen articles, it doesn't mean I won't act :)

Then, when the site is deindexed, I'll feel alright.

Anyway, even if the stolen page is not removed, I'll see if my variant outranks it in the SERPs. If so, no huge deal.

If the stolen copy is at the top and the hosting provider and Google refuse to shut down the hosting/deinxed the site, then I'll indeed feel like I've been stolen some of my effort. But not entirely doomed.

It happens. Such is life. What else? Ah. Right. It is the nature of publishing stuff on the Internet.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 01 November 2006 - 11:48 PM.

#16 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:34 AM

How would you feel if you had spent $1000 to create the article that was copied?

Egol

Yes I would feel a lot worse about it, though its only cost me time to write the article. If it had cost me money to create then yes I would feel more strongly that I would have to go after the person responsible for copying to get them to remove it.

Daz

#17 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:20 AM

Just re-read what Bill wrote about helping the bloggers, who steal content.

That's the attitude I admire. Advising the content thieves to quote the source and link to it! Absolute genius!

I, too, prefer to keep good relationships with people. But sometimes they just don't want it that way. People are different :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users