• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Security Installer

Security Installer

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

I run a site aimed at uk home and commercial security, all aspects are covered from access control to intruder alarm systems. I also have a very active forum, with hundreds of In the Trade members.

I have up until now been happy that my site rules and disclaimer will protect me from the miss doings of others. We do however try to help out those intent of fitting there own alarm systems, and occasionaly information can go into great detail..

What would happen if say someone read some advice on my site, they followed that advice and it led to them injuring themselves or even there death..?

Would I or any of my members be liable ?

#2 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

I always like to be safe, rather than sorry.

Under your Terms of Use, why don't you just say something like...

"The posts contained on this forum are the opinions of the respective poster. This forum assumes no liability resulting from any advice given here."

#3 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2903 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

.... and get a lawyer, (or a solicitor as you're in the sunny UK!), to check it out.

And, I did something on website which you might find useful if you haven't done it already - get it, (any disclaimer statement, and your website), checked out by your local Trading Standards Office - perhaps even getting an official document/seal of approval to say that what you are doing is okay and legal?

It is, as you know, better to be safe than sorry :)

Paul

#4 Security Installer

Security Installer

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the info so far guys, perhaps I could post my disclaimer here for comments..?

Also seeing a solicitor i'd assume would be rather expensive.?

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

Usually a solicitor may take less than an hour for giving a document a simple once-over, assuming you don't want them to do some deeper research on specific case law. On those grounds it is pretty cheap.

Many (most?) solicitors will give a free initial consultation to 'take your brief' of course, and that's when they can give you an idea of what needs to be done, what might be worth doing, and what the costs would be. I'd be pretty confident it will cost far less than 200 even in a city in the affluent south, and considerably less than that in other areas.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users