• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:36 AM

Well I thought I would put a plug up for Bill ;-) ...

Just had a look and it seems Bill has got Mike to do his Wordpress magic and come up with a new look for SEO By The Sea.

Looking very nice nice / clean and easy to read ;) ... Liking it alot

#2 Abhishek

Abhishek

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:52 AM

"Bill"ieve it or not .. lol !! I was only reading SEO by the SEA the other day and was telling myselves, it's High time the site got a make-over! I was even to email bill, volunteering to do the theme for him and presto, he decides to change it himselves... hehe!

Wait that's not all, yesterday morning, I was day-dreaming on starting a GSM service company down here in India and then teaming up with one of the bigger Search engines to provide Search Services to Mobile users and Voilaaaaaaa! Today I flip through 'The Economic Times' and see Steve Ballmer shaking hands with the CEO of an Indian GSM company and the duo launching their new search and other services for mobile users!

Anyways, nice theme Bill ! Cheers

#3 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:12 AM

Nice, Bill. Really nice. I like it ;).

John

#4 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I like it too. Great job.

#5 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:32 AM

It's like a fishysuper version of 'almost spring'! ;) (I mean that in a good way)

I like the starfish.

#6 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:54 AM

I like the starfish.

Yup me too!

Daz

#7 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

Thanks!

Mike developed a tremendous theme there, and I decided that it was something I wanted to use before I realized that he was the developer.

I may change the images some, though it may take a little while. I really like how accessible it is, and how well it handled change when the text size was increased. I made some SEO related changes to the code, and I'll likely make some more.

It is more readable than the old version of the site, and I'm going to be working on some new features that I didn't have before. I've added a site map, and will be working on some others that make the site easier to use.

I'll have to put it in the web site hospital sometime soon. ;)

#8 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

Nice, clean. Like it a lot. In the right sidebar some section show the default texts still.

#9 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, Ruud.

I'm still working on those parts with the unfinished text. I hoped to be a little further along than I am now, but had a few problems last night that required me to do some revisiting of the changes I had already made.

Cheers.

#10 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9012 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

It's got a really fresh appearance, Bill, and I like it very much.

It got me questioning my almost reflex attachment to two column themes, with the 'extras' column to the right. I guess I still feel that three columns works better in a newspaper, but it certainly uses the typical 1024 pixel width better.

Part of my conviction has been because I've wanted to deliver a good user experience to a 800 x 600 visitor. I know they may be only 20% or less of my visitors (? how do PDAs figure in that calculation), but there are some others with wider screens who surf in a smaller window.

So as I deliver a good experience to the 'narrow' people who are in the minority, am I delivering a less satisfactory user experience to the 'wider' people who are far in the majority. How should I balance these two sectors' experiences in deciding two columns or three columns. I'm still in the two column crowd, but you've made me question that, Bill.

#11 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

Wow! I really dig the look. And the functionality is cleaner than clean.

;)

-jeff

#12 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

So as I deliver a good experience to the 'narrow' people who are in the minority, am I delivering a less satisfactory user experience to the 'wider' people who are far in the majority. How should I balance these two sectors' experiences in deciding two columns or three columns. I'm still in the two column crowd, but you've made me question that, Bill.

Questioning change is good. If you have a pda or other handheld, take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Jeff. Still some tweaking to go on that functionality, but I'm really very happy with most of what the template offers.

#13 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

Me likes it very much! Excellent work Mike, and if Bill sure deserves such a great theme for a great website. Congrats :applause:

My only comment is how about adding a hint of blue? It is, after all, about doing SEO by the Sea...

Pierre

#14 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Oh, my, it's just lovely, Bill.
Very crisp and easy to read! Love the starfish, too. Well done!
Miriam

#15 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:46 AM

Thanks, Pierre and Miriam

It's a tremendous theme from Mike, and I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

#16 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

Barry, you can use fixed layout for that (show 2 columns for the 800*600s and all the rest to the others). Though I'd imagine fixed layout has more disadvantages over a fluid one anyway.

Btw, there are about 17-19% of those with 800*600 (last I checked at http://www.thecounter.com).

#17 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9012 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

Though I'd imagine fixed layout has more disadvantages over a fluid one anyway.

I don't want to take this topic off-track, Yuri, so I won't get into the other issues raised by what you posted. However I couldn't leave this one alone. Jakob Nielsen recently said he used a 2048 pixel width screen and thought that:

Within the next 10 years, I expect monitors of, say, 5000x3000 to be in fairly common use, at least among high-end business professionals.

If only IE respected max-width, then that would be the way to go. However until then, I'm still in the fixed layout camp.

#18 wobular

wobular

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

It looks frighteningly like a quick re-design (ripoff) of Beccary's Almost Spring to me... So of course it looks nice.

Well done :)

#19 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

wobular
what exactly are you trying to say?

Bill, I loved the skiff boat photo (it looked like a post card) but this looks great too! Nice job.
Donna

#20 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

If "using roughly the same color palette" is a ripoff of a design, then the world of design is in big trouble...

The fact is, Mike's theme is vastly different where it counts - under the hood.

-joe

#21 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

It looks frighteningly like a quick re-design (ripoff) of Beccary's Almost Spring to me... So of course it looks nice.

Do you think so? I'm not sure that I see that. Here's a site using a three column version of the Almost spring template. The biggest similarity appears to be the use of Green and Orange lettering.

Regardless, it's still a work in progress at this point, and the last thing I want is for people to think that the site looks too much like one that many tens of thousands of people are using on their web sites.

I didn't design the template I am using, but thought that it was polished and professional looking, and more accessible than most I've seen on the web. I did visit Beccary's site after reading your post. I hadn't heard of her before, and the layout of her present homepage shares more in common with the template I'm using than the "Almost Spring" template.

Thanks, Donna. I liked the skiff picture too.

#22 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

Having "gone missing" for a week, I was late in seeing your new design so. . . as you can see, I went there and
Bill! it's chalk full of so much information!!! What a great blog! I know I'll be spending hours reading.

I'm no techie but want to read all about the patents and I was also interested in like.com and hadn't heard of it until your blog. I almost exclusively shop on line by photos so I use google's images. Now someone is taking it a step further and making it easy for me to shop. Isn't it a visual world anyway?

Glad I ran across that info.

Thanks Bill! :)

(Don't know how you do it all. Aren't you leaving soon for Las Vegas?)

Donna

#23 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, Donna.

The visual search engine at Like.com looks pretty exciting. I'd like to see more like it.

I'll be working on trying to come up with a patent index for the site in the future, too. That will probably have to wait till I return from Vegas.

Which I'm leaving for tomorrow morning...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users