• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

Hope this is the right section.... Just wondering if anyone knows of a Good, Easy to Use & Affordable program, that will let me record my screen to video...

Basically I want to do video tutorials, kind of like lynda.com so need a way to record me speaking into a microphone and record what I doing on the screen at the same time... B)

Thanks

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:27 AM

Camtasia is pretty neat, I don't know what it currently goes for though ($299, just checked). You could also try something freeware like FRAPS, but since it records a video stream (instead of single images) the files will take a lot of room and make editing a horror.

John

#3 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

thanks John!! That Camtasia looks V good...

#4 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

I can testify that Camtasia is worth the money.

Configuration can be a bit of a pain until you have used it a few times, but the voiceover and compression are quite good for live screen captures.

-Jeff

#5 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:12 PM

Wouldn't it possible to record a video with FRAPS and convert it to Flash for compression? Anyone tried it? Does it work?

#6 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

Camtasia can save to flash directly :)

-Jeff

#7 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

Well, that's great, but what about us, not willing to spend $300 for something they'd use once or twice?

Thanks for the response, though.

#8 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

:offtopic: Every year, I pay a well-known maker of tax software $300 for a program that I use precisely once, never to be used again. What a racket they've got going. I wish paying taxes were optional. :(

#9 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:33 AM

Camatasia has a free download that they claim is fully-functional for 30 days. In my experience with it last year, it did appear to be fully-functional. I wouldnt take that as gospel, but seems like it would be worth a download :(

-Jeff

#10 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

Thanks again Jozian - I think I will try the download!!

@ Respree... What about the new FREE version of M$ Accountant Express?? Maybe give that a whirl to save you some cash....

#11 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

I second Camtasia but.... for screencasting you can also use these free solutions:

#12 DanielSmith

DanielSmith

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

there a easy solution ,you can use ACA Capture Pro,it can record your screen area you defined and record your voice at the same time.
i am using it, i think it worth a try.

Edited by DanielSmith, 26 January 2007 - 10:25 PM.

#13 Liz AG

Liz AG

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

Thanks everyone. This may be a partial solution for my fiance. He needs a "school" to train some of his employees. He's interested in training them in very specific areas for now.

#14 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

It looks like CamStudio is just what I was looking for. Unless there is a more efficient and free variant, of course.

Thanks, Ruud.

#15 GeoffreyF67

GeoffreyF67

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

Camtasia is the best. It rocks in my opinion.

Bit pricey perhaps but well worth it.

G-Man

#16 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

How hard are these to learn well enough to make a file that looks nice?

#17 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:35 AM

Most are pretty easy. I use Camtasia myself (well worth the money) and it is childishly simple to get something nice.

#18 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

I used to use Camtasia all the time and it's a great piece of software... but I've since transitioned to Adobe Captivate. Although not for the price sensitive($599) ... it's a great piece of software for those looking for the next steps of making your videos interactive.

#19 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

Camtasia is now a "mere" $299.

#20 GeoffreyF67

GeoffreyF67

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

Adobe Captivate...never even heard of it. Will check it out for grins and giggles tho :wacko:

G-Man

#21 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:13 AM

Oh, I saw Aaron Wall do this recently.

I don't know what he used to make the film, but it was just as you described. However, I thought I'd add, I sat there for about the first half minute of his presentation thinking that the film wasn't playing. I thought I was simply seeing a screenshot of his computer and because for the first segment of it, he was just sitting on one page, I didn't realize what was happening until I noticed his cursor moving.

So, perhaps when you do your presentation, you could somehow make it really obvious for silly people like me that we're not just looking at a screenshot :)

Good luck! I found this technology to be really, really neat (once I understood what was happening!)
Miriam

#22 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

So, perhaps when you do your presentation, you could somehow make it really obvious for silly people like me that we're not just looking at a screenshot

Following that, you should check out Tubetorial.com. They do a great job with their screencasts and they cover great topics from web design to SEO.

#23 Tom Anthony

Tom Anthony

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

On the Mac, there is Snapz Pro X, which is excellent. You can record the system audio, and with a Mike for voiceover. It can save to a bunch of formats, though not Flash currently. It costs $69.

For web tutorials, Safari renders pages beautifully, so its a good way to do them. :wacko:

#24 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13570 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:17 AM

Timely thread. Nice to see it revisted. The Tubetorial.com is a great resource, thank you. It offers a feed too!

#25 tinkerbellchime

tinkerbellchime

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

I just finished a workshop that used Macromedia Breeze by Adobe, which is now called Adobe Acrobat Connect Professional. The screen shots were online and the audio part was by phone. My DSL connection was slow, so the visual on the screen was a step or two behind what I was hearing. We had to have two windows open at once and watch, listen, and do. It wasn't ideal, but we could ask questions and hear each other the whole time and have a bit of a conversation. There were three students, so it wasn't too bad.

Christina

#26 conficio

conficio

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

Adobe Captivate is the former RoboHelp product. Adobe bought the company.

There is also Quarbon and Screencast-o-matic (a web based solution).

K<o>

#27 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hello conficio and welcome to our forums.

If you have the inclination, come on over to Introduce Yourself and tell us a bit about yourself.

See you around the forums!
Cheers,
Donna

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users