• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

I like the new members titles like “1000 post club” etc.
I've always been mildly resentful of titles like senior member, etc. :rolleyes: It would be nice to see these dispensed with. I don't think because someone posts more, it makes them more "senior" in any sense of the word.

Since I became a senior, member it makes me feel I should be more sensible - that doesn't come naturally to me, as I suppose this post illustrates. I could always quit being "manager", and start again with a new handle.

I'm interested to know about the special titles like: hall of famer, honary member, industry reporter etc. Where can I find this info - are these IPB things ?

People may be surprised to know that I actually expect someone to answer the post. :)

TreV

#2 projectphp

projectphp

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hey yeh, I just started adding those. It is a bit of a hassle, to be honest, becasue you have to go to the admin panel, fiddle around... it takes way longer than it needs to.

I planned to make an announcement about this when I was done, but with the Ashes on (hehe), and quite a bit of work, getting through all the people who are deserving is proving to take longer than I expected. And promotions aren't retrospective (unless you make a new post) so a few 1,000 posters haven't been "promoted" (I was going to add a 500 post club, but then realised the ammount of work that would be!)

Anyhoo, the "Hall Of Famers" was designed originally when Stock (Grumpus) decided to resign. From there, we have added a few of the ex-mods.

I think (and hope) it will become a "thing". Not everyone wants to be a moderator, and there are many deserving people who should have some recognition, not just ex-mods.

As for the titles, we added them. IPB lets you add promotions (for number of posts like 1,000) as well as a custom image per group. I was hoping that I would get the one Tim got, but unfortunately I didn't :rolleyes:

I think that answers most of your question??!?!?!

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13463 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

We created titles for outgoing Moderators, to pay our respects for their time working here. They are Honorary Members.

Industry Reporters are people in the industry who are considered "well known" or "a voice" in the industry, and we try to offer them recogntion. So you will folks like Danny Sullivan, John Rhodes, Bryan Eisenberg and others who are members, and visit us once in awhile.

Hall of Fame is new. So far, John "Softplus" was quietly chosen for an experiment for this one. We have access to some stats that tell us about some folks, such as you, who stand out as long-timers. We're still fleshing this one out, but my hope was to offer recognition and thanks to members of the community who have nurtured it with exceptional posts, are helpful to the new members, who are engaging, and otherwise extend much of themselves nearly as much as if they were themselves, Moderators.

It may seem silly...but the intent is always good willed on our part. Especially me. It's a subject really dear to my heart. None of the success of these forums is possible without members like you, who treat it like family. We appreciate it so much and our hope is to find ways to express our gratitude :)

Gotta get back to my Thanksgiving prep! Despite the weather conditions, everyone says they're still coming, so I'm buried in the kitchen :banana:

#4 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

This is pretty easy.

Get rid of the number of posts on the left hand side.

And for everyone under 10,000 posts, write the description as "noob".

For everyone above 10,000 posts, write "the king".

Problem solved.

#5 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

Then all but one Admin (last time I checked) will be Noobs :)

But yes, this one will be the least hassle.

Then again, you can add a new group for members with 15k and 20k posts, but I figure the number of posts isn't something to target on.

The quality of past posts of a member could possibly be determined by the reputation he receives (those 10 green squares in VBulletin), but it could be a matter of manipulation as well as the number of posts. Can't add something without someone trying to abuse it, I guess, but I don't think it'll be a massive movement here.

#6 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

There can only be one king....

#7 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:18 AM

Ah, I see your point now. Yes, mutliple kings don't sound right. Princes? Prime ministers? Councellors?

Then again, there indeed could be more customized titles (specifically for the Cre8 atmosphere), too, but as Michael said, it'd probably require some work.

#8 projectphp

projectphp

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:45 AM

Feel free to make some suggestions :)

#9 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:06 AM

I was wondering when I would have to ask :)

Thanks for the title, I feel honored, thanks!! :) (anyone want an autogram as long as I have it? :D)

I suggest we change the title for administrators and moderators to something less "police-like", perhaps "Idol"?

Personally I think the post-counter and the join-date already tell a story; sure adding "reputation" (or whatever) might tell a bit more, but I'm not certain that it will give someone new valuable information about the poster...

If you're new to the community you might look at the post counts and titles and such, but once you're "inside" and have followed the postings a bit, you usually build your own opinion about the posters -- who you can trust, who you don't want to trust, who has a quick temper, etc. (I can't think of anyone in those last 2 categories here :D). When you meet new people you might care what they usually do or what they have done in the past, but when you meet them again in the pub to chat, it doesn't really matter anymore. Friends are friends. :)

John

#10 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:30 AM

I suggest we change the title for administrators and moderators to something less "police-like", perhaps "Idol"?

LoL With all the Hierarchies around members and senior members etc lack pizazz :)

From the interesting world of bees: we could have: workers, drones, killers, queen
From the bird of prey world: Sparrow Hawks to Golden Eagles
From the military: privates to commander in chief
From religion: deacons to archbishops.

Can anyone add to my list ?

Afterthought afterthoughtIf I was to be granted a title - I would like something unassuming, for example "The Chosen One" has a nice ring to it.
:D :D

TreV

Edited by manager, 23 November 2006 - 03:35 AM.

#11 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:13 AM

This is an interesting, silly thread. I don't know how else to describe it!

But I do feel the need to throw in my two cents...

I think a worthwhile title is "Personality". People bigger than their post counts so to speak. I think that's what is currently labeled Industry Reporter which may be a touch misleading.

While most of us have blogs, Donn'a SEO-Scoop is the only SEO News site per say. And of course Search Engine Land but that doesn't actually exist yet.

I know someone will point out some sites that I seem to overlook daily...

#12 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1878 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:56 AM

I think we should be identified by food.

New members could be 'breakfast'. They could then progress through elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper and finishing off with ovaltine. And if somebody gets past 10 000 posts it can only be 'alka seltzer' (after consuming so much scoff).

But does it really matter? I read and post because I enjoy the company, having a label doesn't change me, my opinions or my questions.

Another thought - if not food how about drinks. Begin with water and finish with the pan-galactic-gargle-blaster!

Sorry, I should perhaps treat this a little more seriously but I'm busy writing school reports and need the distraction

#13 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

The mod/admin status is more a police type position though.
Our main jobs are to clear out spam, and keep members in line during heated arguements.
We also discuss ongoing development of the site, but being a moderator/admin isn't a sign of how much we 'know'.

In fact, our attitude to selecting people to ask to be moderators is more about attitude and helpfulness, rather than purely based on knowledge.

Which is why I think it's so great that there are a load of good members here who don't just wait for a mod/admin to reply, they jump in and give their own answers.
Being busier than I have for a while, I've not managed to be so active in my main area of CSS. But often, I find when I get to spend a bit more time looking at threads, several other members have made excellant replies anyway. So why should my label make out that I know more than they do? Just because they aren't a mod.....

We're the hosts of the party, doesn't mean we 'are' the party, everyone makes the party what it is :) We jsut help keep the party spirit when it otherwise may struggle a bit.

So perhaps, if anything, we should have party host related labels :)

#14 projectphp

projectphp

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

Maybe that is better,a aprty analogy? "Latecomer" for newbies. "Thrown Out" for banned, "Host" for mod/admin, "Party Anuimal" for 1,000 posts and "Solid mingler" for 500 posts.

Yes, I likey berrymuch.

#15 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

:)

If I was to be granted a title - I would like something unassuming, for example "The Chosen One" has a nice ring to it.

I was more thinking we could have a joint title between us TreV, instead of the above how about

"The Special One" :rofl:

#16 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

He He......

The Special One

Yeah I like that LEE, but the Chelsea football manager Jose Mourinho has already baggsed that one. Just noticed you've chalked up a nice half K of posts yourself mate, well done :cheers:

TreV

Edited by manager, 23 November 2006 - 09:07 AM.

#17 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

So is there an explanation of what the current labels are and what do they mean? I have two so-called pips under my name. I'm scared - EEEEK!

Pierre :)

#18 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

(Thanks TreV ;-) ... Just trickling along in the background I am)

#19 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

I'm not certain what purpose the pips hold, if any at all. :)

So is there an explanation of what the current labels are and what do they mean?

As much of an explanation as exists is already in this thread. Ideas, suggestions, comments, etc., are more than welcome.

I'm not sure that I like "titles" that make someone who has just joined look like they don't know anything. But the titles are something that we could have some fun with.

Just noticed you've chalked up a nice half K of posts yourself mate, well done :cheers:

Nice. Congratulations, Lee!

Very well done.

#20 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

Those pips are seeds - when applied to a fertile mind, they grow into a member of the 1,000 posts club. :)

#21 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

There can only be one king....

Umm, you're confusing "king" and "Immortal Highlander"

"Solid mingler" for 500 posts

Yikes, for a moment, I thought you were saying "soiled minger". I was getting ready to flame you for that :)

I guess these blue titles and blobs are making us very nervous. I like the fact - though - that you aspire to manually assign the titles - rather than by post count. Kudos for that. Commiserations with the work involved LOL

#22 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

if ($MemberPosts < 10) {
	$ThisStatus = "New Member";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 50) {
	$ThisStatus = "Junior Member";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 500) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 2000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Senior Member";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 5000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Elite";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 7000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Ascendant";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 10000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Rara Avis";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 14000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Patricius";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 20000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Laureate";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 25000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Seraphic";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 50000) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Empyrean";
}
elsif ($MemberPosts < 999999) {
	$ThisStatus = "Member Caelestus";
}

This is the logic I've been using in my own forums for most of seven years. This is a closely guarded secret in my community, right up there with those eleven herbs and spices and the Coca Cola recipe, so no one ever knew when a milestone would surface or what the resulting title would be (or what it would mean!). We've had a ton of fun with this over the years. Y'all are sworn to secrecy, of course.

We had our first Member Caelestus crowned last year, so I have to start coming up even more elevated titles to fill the gaps above 50,000.

#23 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

I am now a star member........... Time to whip out my banana

:banana:

#24 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:57 AM

Quarter Grand Poster!

LOL

As long as everyone keeps ther 'members' away from me...

#25 Abhishek

Abhishek

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:58 AM

I only checked a couple of days ago and saw two blobs below the name of some of the higher members. And today, while going through one of my posts, I was shocked to see 4 blobs below my name and the title "Centenarian Poster". I first got into thinking, as to who of the admins, fell in love with me. It was then that it dawned upon me that, it was the 100 post title and that other members had upgraded too :(

At another forum, where I recently joined as the Technical Admin, I moved them from phpbb to Vbulletin, and since there's a differene in the PHPBB and VB Title system, it got messed up. Hence, we implemente new titles. Any member that joins becomes a 'n00b' then on at 25 posts, he becomes a 'New Member', this changes again at 250 posts, then at 500 posts, 1000 posts, 5000 posts and the final 10,000 posts.

Can get really messy at times :)

#26 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:00 AM

Those pips are seeds - when applied to a fertile mind, they grow into a member of the 1,000 posts club. :(

Well I better do my rain dance: :bounce: :kicking:

#27 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

I was shocked to see 4 blobs below my name and the title "Centenarian Poster". I first got into thinking, as to who of the admins, fell in love with me. It was then that it dawned upon me that, it was the 100 post title and that other members had upgraded too

LOL You're not the only one who felt that way Abhishek :(

When I saw Star Poster on my "title" I felt a little special for about 20 seconds, then the grim reality set in :)

Quarter Grand doesn't work IHMO - it not fair on members with say 450 + posts, or am I joking, it's always hard to tell with me :)

TreV

#28 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

If you want to see a ranking system, check out:

http://bf2142fever.com/content/Ranks

Very cool. Probably not suitable for this forum, but I do like the graphical progression.

I am up to Master Sergeant Silver.

#29 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

Quoting bragadocchio

Ideas, suggestions, comments, etc., are more than welcome.

One idea may be to introduce a scheme, whereby un-deserving members of the community could obtain special titles by donating/loaning large sums of money.

Some members may be aware that we have a similar scheme in the UK called “CASH FOR HONOURS”. Whereby multi millionaires obtain knighthoods etc by donating/loaning vast sums of money to political parties. ALLEGEDLY !

Edited by manager, 24 November 2006 - 08:47 AM.

#30 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13463 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

I can't think of anything constructive to say or add here...it's been just SO FUN to sit back and read this thread :applause:

If we change the ranks every month or so, would that seem neurotic? :rofl:

#31 Abhishek

Abhishek

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hey! Something just struck me! How about we use, the {ate = 8} formula for setting up the titles? As in m8, l8 or still better, our very own cre8 ?

Doesn't that sound very "homely" ?

#32 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

What about basing the titles on the humble worm, we could have: earth, book, glow,silk, and finally tape, for banned members :)

On a slightly more serious note and after seconds of pondering, I think the titles could remain largeley as was, with a blue pip for every 1000 posts and a gold star for every 5000

So:
cre8pc (8,217) would have one gold star and three blue pips.
bragadocchio (14,013) would have 2 gold stars, and 4 blue pips
I'd have one blue pip.

#33 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

Like the roman numeral system?

#34 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

Yeah a numeral system, but it would just stay in one place. :)

#35 Abhishek

Abhishek

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

So:
cre8pc (8,217) would have one gold star and three blue pips.
bragadocchio (14,013) would have 2 gold stars, and 4 blue pips
I'd have one blue pip.

And I'd have nothing :) Booohoooo .....

Edited by Abhishek, 24 November 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#36 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

How about a post count in binary? or only displaying the post count when the number is a prime? or we use numerology?

Manager's post count of 1213 would give us 7 (1+2+1+3), which leads us to
* A deep thinker, spiritually inclined. Unique, eccentric.
* Too aloof and fears not living up to high standards. A loner.
* To seek answers to life's questions. Observe. Discover.
* Analytical field. Or self-employment in small business.

Does that fit? Now to condense that into 2-3 words ....... :)

John

Edit: oh no, he posted again. It's all wrong! :rofl:

Edited by softplus, 24 November 2006 - 04:05 PM.

#37 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

John you would have to add superstitious to that list :P 1213 was going to be my last post but I was scared finish the day off with my post count ending in 13 - I consider it unlucky. :D

#38 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

Can we please count posts in peaches? It's yucky wintery here and I miss the fresh Summer fruit. :crybaby:

#39 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1878 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

If we change the ranks every month or so, would that seem neurotic?

Or even better, why not use a completely random ranking system. One could argue that the members of the forum are so because they want to contribute not because they want to be promoted - so why not use made up ranks that bear no relation to the number of posts:
Goat's Cheese Souffle
Spider Monkey
Knotweed
Knight who says Ni
Coconut Cream
Procrastinator
Prawn
Venerable Sage
And so on...
If you really want to confuse the public, attach said ranks to odd post targets: 27, 113, 503, 647, 890... (My reasoning here is that once the target is reached and a few more posts added the target number is no longer relevant and in many cases not even noticed)

#40 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:59 AM

once the target is reached and a few more posts added the target number is no longer relevant and in many cases not even noticed

I don't notice the number of posts a person has after I get to know them. :D

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users