• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13570 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

We've been roasting and toasting Dave Childs Child in the "backroom" and now it's your turn.

I'm sad to report that Dave Childs Child is stepping down from his Moderator post here. For years, he was also our Tech Admin. Now, he will be a regular member and hopefully have time to drop in.

Dave was brought to us by Ammon Johns. I trusted Ammon's judgement and Dave brought immense value to these forums, especially in our early, more turbulent years as a brand new forum. He worked on holidays and weekends...and answered all my dumb questions.

You may know him for his cheat sheets, some of which many of us can't live without.

Please join me in raising a toast to Dave, and thanking him for his volunteer service to these forums. He'll be sorely missed.

:cheers:

Added: Is it any wonder he leaves? I never even knew his proper name! :rofl:

Edited by cre8pc, 28 November 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#2 travis

travis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1532 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

answered all my dumb questions

Mine too. Thanks Dave.

#3 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

It's been wonderful having you around to solve and handle technical issues in the forums, Dave.

Your help and input have been invaluable, and have truly made a difference for the better.

Thank you for all of your input, guidance, and hard work.

#4 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

All good things must come to an end eh. Dave you're a real star. Thanks for all your time, effort and hard work. We wouldn't be what we are without you. :flowers:

#5 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:34 AM

Sad to see you go, Dave. I simply can't quantify how much I've learned from your posts!

Now that you have so much free time, I want to say good luck with whatever venture that will fill it up.

Pierre

#6 rmccarley

rmccarley

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

I think you've got one of the greatest, most memorable nics I've ever encountered. Thanks for knocking this place into shape for the rest of us. Thanks for all you have given.

#7 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9012 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for all your effort and help both for the Forums and on a few of my own web problems, Dave. You're a star. All best wishes.
:applause:

#8 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for your postings (and cheatsheets :D), Dave! Good luck with your future ventures!

John

#9 egain

egain

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Cheers Dave.

PS if you need a replacement .... :P

#10 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

What no more Jack Daniels? I'm more of a Jameson man myself but sad to see you go!

Daz

#11 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

Ah Jameson. Or something Candian even: Black Velvet for example :drink_together: But I digress.....

Erm, Kim, I must admit that I had heard of ILoveJackDaniels quite a while before I ever visited Cre8 Forums. Bookmarked (favourited) a couple of cheat sheets way back when I was still using MSIE :P

I still think of ILJD as the king of cheat sheets rather than a Cre8 mod.

But Dave, please tell us, what are you gonna do next (now you have all this free time)

#12 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:24 PM

I love Jack Daniels too! I hope that we will keep seeing you around. BTW, your cheatsheet were indeed very helpful, my colleagues love them!

#13 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

I still think of ILJD as the king of cheat sheets rather than a Cre8 mod.

Ah, me too...found his site long, long before arriving at Cre8asite...nonetheless, I selfishly hope that by reducing his commitment to deleting forum spam Dave will just be able to spend more time contributing to the forum!

:)

#14 Jonathan

Jonathan

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

Who is Dave Childs?

#15 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

Dave Childs, international man of mystery, is known more in this parts under his nickname Ilovejackdaniels

His website is http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/ and he's particularly well known for a series of cheatsheets on subjects on CSS, php, java script, and many others.

#16 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

So do you have any names for v2.0 yet, Dave? :)

John

#17 DaveChild

DaveChild

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:37 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words! The community here is one of the friendliest and warmest anywhere, and that's why I like it here so much :)

But Dave, please tell us, what are you gonna do next (now you have all this free time)

Hah. I wish. I'm working quite hard at the moment, and have a few personal projects I'm juggling. Realistically, I'll probably spend the next few weeks on the v2.0 version of the cheat sheets (about halfway done now).

I selfishly hope that by reducing his commitment to deleting forum spam Dave will just be able to spend more time contributing to the forum!

That's the plan, Joe. I can spend less time catching up on mod issues in the back when I do have time to visit and more time ridding the world of IE.

#18 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:37 AM

Dave Childs, international man of mystery, is known more in this parts under his nickname Ilovejackdaniels

What a coincidence! Dave Child is known as ILoveJackDaniels too, but does not and never has had an 's' in his surname. :)

#19 DaveChild

DaveChild

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:39 AM

What a coincidence! Dave Child is known as ILoveJackDaniels too, but does not and never has had an 's' in his surname. :)

It's been Dave "Childs" here for three years, Ammon ... I didn't want to rock the boat :)

#20 manager

manager

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1331 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:01 AM

Hi

Just wanted to add my best wishes, and thanks for all your past work for Cre8

Trev

#21 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13570 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

What a coincidence! Dave Child is known as ILoveJackDaniels too

And I never knew this or caught it earlier? This is horrifying :)

I changed my blog announcement too. Heaven forbid my mistake should cause you to, um, drink. :flowers:

#22 Abhishek

Abhishek

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

Just taking on a post to add all my best wishes to you Dave! Looking forward to a lot more contribution from you to the community. And thanks for all the work done as a Mod :)

Just a small note, I am an extensively huge fan of your Cheat Sheets and have used the php and css sheets quite often. I would like to personally thank you for these wonderful sheets. :)

Abhishek

#23 DaveChild

DaveChild

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3446 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

And I never knew this or caught it earlier? This is horrifying :)

I know some people who go apoplectic when someone gets their name slightly wrong. A lot of people put an "s" at the end of mine, and it never bothered me. Just another phrase I end up ranking ok for :) (I'd be top if it weren't for Dave Childs, euphonium soloist).

If you'd been calling me Nancy McDavechilds all this time, then it'd be a different story :)

I am an extensively huge fan of your Cheat Sheets

(and anyone else who mentioned the cheat sheets)

Thankyou :). I'm constantly amazed by how many people find them useful (I actually got an email a while back from the people who manage the Jack Daniels website to say that they were using them in their office - I was grinning all day from that one).

Edited by ILoveJackDaniels, 29 November 2006 - 01:13 AM.

#24 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:53 AM

I actually got an email a while back from the people who manage the Jack Daniels website to say that they were using them in their office - I was grinning all day from that one

No kidding? Now how cool is that? I'll bet they had fun writing to you, too.

This base of users is going to miss your TLC, ILJD. :)

#25 roban

roban

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Dave and the best of luck. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision (or maybe it was). Cheers to you and yours.

#26 cpdohman

cpdohman

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:49 AM

thanks for your work and contributions here at cre8 dave! sorry, no jd for a toast, hope a clink of a couple beer mugs will do. :cheers:

#27 Jonathan

Jonathan

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

His website is http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/ and he's particularly well known for a series of cheatsheets on subjects on CSS, php, java script, and many others.

Oh Billl.

Edited by Jonathan, 29 November 2006 - 10:21 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users