Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Cite Some Famous Person's Sentence Is Legal Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kobekobe0001

kobekobe0001

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:58 AM

we want to cite some very famous person's sentence for emphasizing our page's function is good and right

but we don;'t know is this legal or not

we want to cite one sentence and put this famous person's name below this sentence

#2 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:30 AM

I'd say it is perfectly legal, if you make sure the quote is presented as a quote and the credit is given to the correct quote author.

#3 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

When in doubt, seek legal advice from a qualified professional. All we can give you are our opinions. Some of those might be informed opinions but they remain just opinions.

You say you want to use this quote to underline that your page and/or its content is right. Construing a quote as if it is an endorsement for a product, service, brand or person might be very different from quoting someone in the context of an article.

#4 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

A friend needed some inspirational quotes for her book - inspirational quotes, not endorsements. What she passed on to me is that a famous person's published works are just as copyrighted as anyone else's. However, what they say in public might be considered public domain, depending on how you define "famous," and if "in public" is really "in public." As I recall, there were also some conditions to do with verifying that the quote really did come from that person. She was happy because she was able to find some very nice quotes to use for free. I have no idea of how this stuff might apply to the world outside of what she asked her lawyer.

So, as usual, experience can be shared, but expertise comes from experts. Only a lawyer can give legal advice. Sometimes there is more involved than a layperson thinks of right off the bat. For instance, my friend and I did not discuss what happens if an expression is also a licensed trademark or meets some other specific condition.

Edited by AbleReach, 06 December 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#5 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3400 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

If said person is famous, perhaps they are nice? Ask them and get confirmation straight from - umm - the horse's mouth. Apologies for the pun.

Pierre

#6 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

Ah, right, Ruud. One thing is quoting, and another is making it seem like the quoter recommends your products (which he doesn't).

And yes, forum advice is just that, unofficial opinion of the poster - for which the forum owners are not legible (as far as I suspect).

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users