• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 circle

circle

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:46 PM

First of all, I'd like to repeat: I'm a beginner and just started blogging like a month ago...

That being said: How important are posts labels? Are they as important as, say technorati tags or more? I always used to give a one word label for a post, but I see people labelling with more than one word and taking their time to come up with good labels. Do labels play a part in SEO the post/blog?

#2 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

If by label you mean the title of the post, then yes - absolutely those are very important.

The title of a post generally will appear in two main places in a blog: once as the header to a post (which may also be the link text of the link to the permanent address of that post), and once in the <title> tag of the page. The title tag appears in the top informational bar of your browser.

These two occurrences of the title text are probably some of the most important text in your blog, outside of your blog post itself. Search engines look at <title> tags and at <hn> tags (which are commonly used for blog titles) as highly relevant signals for identifying the topic of that page, and figuring out what types of searches may be most relevant to bring up that document.

A well-written title (clear and concise) will greatly assist the search engines in identifying the subject of your post. A single word is rarely sufficient: hypothetically, if you've labeled a post "Ravens", this indicates very little about the subject of the post: that it's about "ravens" in some way. Now, this might be the history of the Raven in literature, it could be about the functions of raven reproduction, it could be a review of a new coffee shop. If you were to instead title the page "Ravens: A Coffeeshop with Attitude", everything becomes much more clear and relevant.

You should also consider the manner in which people might link to your posts: they're likely to use the title of your post, if that title is useful. That effectively gives you an additional strong signal as to the topic of your post.

Now, if by "label" you actually meant the categorization feature now available in Blogger beta, or some such equivalent means of assigning a term to be applicable to a post, then that's a bit different. One word or multiple words are different labels: depending on the system which is searching or analyzing the labels, they may be read as separate terms, they may be grouped, or whatever. The most relevant use of them for you is to try and use whatever term is most commonly used to describe what you're talking about. If you're describing fishing places, and most people use "fishin' hole" as their label, that's probably what you want to go with: it may be the most commonly looked for term, as well, despite the grammatical dispute.

Technically speaking, "post label" doesn't have a specific meaning in blogging, as far as I know - so there are many possibilities for what you may be referring to. If I haven't covered the meaning you had in mind, please clarify!

Best,
Joe

#3 circle

circle

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Joe for your reply..... I was referring to the categorizing label feature now going in beta blogger. I used to not give it much attention but found that other people do. I just discovered that adding technorati tags in a Wordpress blog, can be completely ignored, 'cause the categories names play as tags at the same time. I thought that the beta bloggers' "labels" might also have a more important function that I may not be aware of.

#4 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

At the least such a label usually gives you another "view" on your data, your posts. These additional views can be made useful for search engine optimization.

A "normal" post lives on a time based page, as en extract, and as a full post on its own page.

Now tag, or label, that post with "coffee" and "lifestyle" and the posts comes available in two other, additional views.

Moreover, each such view is heavily skewed towards its category/tag/label -- which can really help :(

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9011 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

On the same topic, as far as I can see, if you want to give a list of labels in the sidebar with clickable links to the views of the posts with a given label, you have to write an individual link for each label. In WordPress you can create such a list of Categories automatically. Has anyone found a similar function in Beta Blogger?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users