Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

What Are Some Keywords To Target When You Want To Try And Have That Person Buy Something ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MainStreet228

MainStreet228

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

What are some keywords to target when you want to try and have that person buy something ?

besides " buy " ?

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

There may be some words that you could add to the name of a product, and they might be phrases that people will search for when wanting to buy something.

But, there are likely also terms that people will use to search with that are unique to products or services being offered that might be good phrases to target. Or geographic terms.

Think, for instance, of the different properties that a product might have that can be used to distinquish it from products made by other manufacturers.

There's a multiple part article on PPC that is worth looking at if you haven't seen it. It has some great suggestions on a keyword selection process, including paying attention to the following in choosing keywords:

Relevance
Cost
Popularity
Performance

It's a few years old, but still retains a great amount of value:

Pay-Per-Click Strategies for Search Engine Marketers

There are five parts to this, so don't miss the "more" and "Part ..." links at the bottoms of its pages.

#3 MainStreet228

MainStreet228

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi bragadocchio,

Thank you for the information and link. I appreciate it.

Thanks

#4 vangogh

vangogh

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:19 AM

I was going to suggest targeting specific brand names if you sell brand name products. For example a person searching for 'digital cameras' might be looking for information where a person searching for 'canon eos rebel' is probably more focused on buying.

Instead of thinking in terms of a single keyword to add you might want to think in terms of longer phrases. I think the longer and more specific the phrase the better chance the phrase will convert.

You can also look at your own analytics and see which phrases convert more often.

#5 Sush

Sush

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:11 AM

I would like to buy a "Jeans". I was thinking what could be the probable search words.

Starting from beginning as a customer:

"Jeans" , "Cheap Jeans", "Quality Jeans" , "Ladies Jeans" , "Levis Jeans" , "Killer Jeans" , "Spiker Jeans" , "Blue Jeans" , "Stone washed Jeans".

So these are the probable keyphrases can used by visitors. Now make sure which product you are selling online. What could be the related words with those particular products and what are the probable combinations.

I do agree with vangogh, brand name targeting is a very good suggestion.

Use google adwords, inventory-overture to get keyword ideas for your targeted keywords. That will definitely help you.

#6 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:43 AM

Sush, thank you for your feedback.

I have to note, though, that the question was about the customers in the last phase of the buying process, when they are not evaluating any levis jeans, but want 'levis jeans xl black' or 'levis jeans ny 37th av' instead.

#7 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

"Ladies Jeans"

Ladies? Who you callin a ladies?

:search:

Seriously. Who am I? Specifically, who am I that influences search terms I may use?

Speaking as Elizabeth Able, I am over 6' tall in any sort of heeled shoe. My inseam is about 34", measured to the floor flat footed. That's taller than what most women's jeans offer: standard "long" sizes max out at a 34" inseam, wearable with a flat shoe but only before shrinkage. A brand name search would not help me unless I'd already found something that fits. Additionally, though I'm not morbidly obese, I have collected a few pounds. If I was shorter, I could buy a larger size and shorten the legs. Neither "Ladies" nor "levis xl black" is going to help me.

To reach me, you need to know me. Who am I and what do I need?

Edited by AbleReach, 30 January 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#8 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well, that's a part of the research for anyone selling the jeans :blink:

Good point, Elizabeth :)

#9 vangogh

vangogh

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

I might not have said it well, but the whole idea of targeting 'levis xl 501 black' was what I was trying to get at suggesting brand names. 'levis jeans' is certainly better to target for a buyer than 'jeans' alone and the more specific the keyphrase you target the more likely you are to capture the searcher towards the end of the buying phase.

It's still important to attract visitors at earlier stages of the buying process too.

Elizabeth I think those are really excellent points. And some of that needs to come with a site owner doing their homework when it comes to knowing who their customers or potential customers are.

In addition to brand names another way to target searchers could be using keywords that describe your product or phrases that relate to solving a searchers problem.

The best approach is to try to get into your customer's head and understand as best you can what they might search for when looking to fill one of their needs.

Edited by vangogh, 31 January 2007 - 01:09 AM.

#10 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

Great post!

I love the keyword need.

What is the need?

The other day I was shopping online for an item I can't find here in town: Tea Tree chewing sticks (it's what I consume in favor of smoking or food, lol).

My searches included that phrase but also "+canada" because so many of the shops don't ship here. Also "+paypal" because that is how I prefer to pay. "+free shipping" because if all equal, why pay more? "-ebay" because I wanted to see the regular outlets.

And that while I "just" needed Tea Tree chewing sticks :)

Shopping for jeans I might have added my region. Maybe I want to be "in-store pickup". Could be a gift so "+return policy" comes in.

I would pay attention to my logs and correlate that with conversions. Apart from the specific product terms, are there any secondary terms which seem to convert better? Seem to indicate last stage buying process? And, as suggested, Adwords to do some quick research and to confirm your log findings. Expand it with specific landing pages where you target different terms, needs and ideas. See which one seems to convert better.

It would have been much easier if anyone could have said; "the converting terms are....". But this type of data, no matter how recent it is, is always stale. You can never stop looking and analyzing.

#11 Sush

Sush

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

Absolutely true. Great post. :applause:

#12 MainStreet228

MainStreet228

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

Hi Ruud,

Thanks for the great post and reply !

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users